Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Apple are offering a year of Apple TV + for free with new macs, phones, iPads. Do you have to buy these from apple directly or will you still get the free deal even if you buy from another retailer e.g John Lewis (UK) or Best Buy (USA)?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I don’t think we know yet. But it could be like when they give Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for free to new hardware owners. What I mean is when you sign in with your ID,  will know what that device is and so they’ll know to give you the subscription. But I won’t know first hand since I’m buying my iPhone 11 Pro directly from  so I can get my 3% Daily Cash.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
According to the Apple's 1 year T&C:
$4.99/month after free trial. One subscription per Family Sharing group. Offer good for 3 months after eligible device activation, starting November 1, 2019. Plan automatically renews until cancelled. Restrictions and other terms apply.

Sounds like if you activate your Mac/iPhone/iPad/ATV you start the 90 day timer. Apparently it's a timer that starts when you first turn on your device and enroll it online thru Apple's activation server.

So if you want to be sneaky on a Mac device, you can activate the device without internet connection and then later down the line you can activate the offer by going back, wiping clear the device and enrolling it on the internet....

OP: you don't have to purchase it from Apple - as long as the device is new from a reseller or carrier you should be able to get the free service, once you activate it online.

gatorguy2

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
USA
According to the Apple's 1 year T&C:
$4.99/month after free trial. One subscription per Family Sharing group. Offer good for 3 months after eligible device activation, starting November 1, 2019. Plan automatically renews until cancelled. Restrictions and other terms apply.

Sounds like if you activate your Mac/iPhone/iPad/ATV you start the 90 day timer. Apparently it's a timer that starts when you first turn on your device and enroll it online thru Apple's activation server.

So if you want to be sneaky on a Mac device, you can activate the device without internet connection and then later down the line you can activate the offer by going back, wiping clear the device and enrolling it on the internet....

OP: you don't have to purchase it from Apple - as long as the device is new from a reseller or carrier you should be able to get the free service, once you activate it online.
Since the one year free has a value of less than $60 look for the best deal you can get for a phone IMHO, even if it might not come with that free year. Silly cheap to add it on.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I just purchased an Apple 4K TV box today.
I wonder if I am eligible.
But then Im in Canada so thats another question.

slicktor

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Does anyone know if it applies only to new products? So nothing off their refurbished store?

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
So what if i buy an iPad for a family member (not on family sharing) as a gift, and even though they wouldn't use Apple TV+, there is no way that i can redeem the offer myself as the person who actually bought the iPad?

UPBaylor

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
I was kind of wondering about the details of the offer too. I just bought a new AppleTV 4K on Sunday from Costco. I suppose it's not eligible since it was purchased and activated prior to the announcement. It's probably irrelevant anyway for me because I will likely be buying 2-3 more soon and ATV+ doesn't start until November, but I was curious whether the one I bought 3 days too early would qualify?

I could always also return and rebuy, but that's more effort than it's worth and it feels kind of cheesy.

Jonas89

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Belgium
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019...ginals-from-the-worlds-greatest-storytellers/

• Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year. Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer. This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch. Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

Reactions: GlenK

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019...ginals-from-the-worlds-greatest-storytellers/

• Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year. Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer. This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch. Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.

I'm trying to figure out the answer to this question.

I intend on upgrading my iPhone XR to the iPhone 11 next week, and am therefore eligible for the free year of Apple TV+.

My Mom, who will also be upgrading to the iPhone 11 next week will be eligible as well, but as she’s a part of my Apple Family Sharing group, she won’t have it separately since she’ll get it through my subscription.

However, IF I were to add another family member who is upgrading to the iPhone 11 to my Family Sharing group, and they decide they don’t like it, and want to go back to not being on it, will they have forfeited their free year of Apple TV+?

It seems to me that they may have until February 1st to back out, and still be able to get a free year of Apple TV+

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

Is old product eligible? Say, if I'll buy iPad Air 3 instead of iPad 7?

Aditya rathee

macrumors regular
May 1, 2019
India
Guys my question is a bit out of topic but can someone tell me that will there be a standalone app for apple tv + or will we be able to watch it in apple tv app only after november 1 cos right now if i download apple tv app all content in its is paid i mean every show or movie is shown will a price

So can someone plz clear this doubt of mine

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Guys my question is a bit out of topic but can someone tell me that will there be a standalone app for apple tv + or will we be able to watch it in apple tv app only after november 1 cos right now if i download apple tv app all content in its is paid i mean every show or movie is shown will a price

So can someone plz clear this doubt of mine

There’s not gonna be another tv app. That wouldn’t make any sense. tv+ is a subscription you must subscribe to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aditya rathee

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Is old product eligible? Say, if I'll buy iPad Air 3 instead of iPad 7?
No. The device must be new.

I'm hearing refurbs from the Apple Store are eligible.

A friend of mine bought a slightly older MacBook Air refurbished from MicroCenter and that didn't seem to count.

Was okay though, they just went and bought an AppleTV so they'll get the free year from that...

MrChrisTJones

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2019
Can someone help me I just purchased a new MacBook but I cat get this offer to come up it is only offering a 7 day trial. how do I get the free 1 year?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Cthulhu7747

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
Can someone help me I just purchased a new MacBook but I cat get this offer to come up it is only offering a 7 day trial. how do I get the free 1 year?

Register your device with Apple; you should receive an e-mail automatically with instructions on how to activate Apple TV+. I purchased a MacBook Air on the 28th, registered it the same day, and received the e-mail today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.