Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I'd love to say I track these hiccups by some orderly process (I'm old enough to remember the ancient days of having to start and restart System 5 or so to figure out which extensions worked or didn't). But in this case I eyeballed them and this was one of the usual suspects, although not in the context of shutting down. It was some other problem. So it's kind of in the back of my head every time I troubleshoot. Utilities like Kext Viewr and Kext Wizard can help sort out such problem children.

woodland20

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2018
:) and here's me thinking you had written some genius sed and awk scripts to capture hung process details before shutdown and greped log files to trace back to the parent applications ... you could have pretended!

anyhow - i finally got it sorted by cleaning up caches and the atsutil db as suggested here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8412127.

took 4 or 5 restarts but I'm back to normal now thankfully.

thanks for the original posts and the reply.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Heh...not likely I'd be that organized.

But thanks for reporting on the atsutil thing; I'll file that away for future use.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
No issues here... I updated to 10.13.6 a long time ago, and recently just received a security update tonight (8/5/2019). No issues downloading, installing, or running this update.

Just for reference, my machine is a late-2011 i5 13" MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.