Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Compatibility mode.

For those people having issues running programs on a 64-bit system, you no longer need to restart your mac and hold down the keys to switch your "entire" mac in 32-bit mode.

It works on an-app-by-app basis.

Open Applications folder, find the app you want to run and right click "Get Info"(Command+I). You'll see a check box for 32-bit mode, check it and close the dialog. then re-run your app

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3771 for Itunes, but works anywhere.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Bootcamp

This is not OS related.. but I would think, hardware support.

Bootcamp 4.0 (version that comes with Lion) does not Windows XP or Vista.

Only Windows 7 is supported by Apple.

Even the Apple support site doesn't work, as I tried to overwrite the Bootcamp 4.0 with 3.1. ,, I got an error in Windows stating "Bootcamp requires 3.1 or later" kind of a, confusing.

Why would you wanna run Windows XP on late 2011 based Macs ? Well, games for starters. Unless the developer supports Windows 7, or you can use Windows 7 compatibility mode, which doesn't always work, you'll be out of luck.

Even XP mode wouldn't do the job as that still virtual.. like running Parallels.

Thanks allot Apple. :p You just my life more difficult.

This could also be a good reason to keep your older Mac as well. :) :apple:

BeverleyPrice

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Lion email has no possibility for reader receipt nor my default branded stationery

I'm distressed that I cannot request reader receipt with my emails as I have I have always done without having to hassle clients or myself in worrying whether the email was received at least. This was an option I took for granted with Outlook.
In addition I cannot save the changes to my stationery to be default as I begin a new email, but have to LABORIOUSLY re-create each email's stationery with my BRANDING. This is insane, illogical, not considered in the software design, somebody sneezed while designing and forgot what he was doing? Maybe.
I must have these 2 facilities.
Any help out there?
I have lodged this complaint with Apple in LA as an oversight on their part.For the request reader receipt I was able to speak to a humanoid assistant who tried his best and told me I WOULD HAVE TO SEND the 'reader receipt' matter TO FEEDBACK.
This is hard to believe. I did this and feel my request might have landed on iCloud but not penetrated as I have no acknowledgement or accountability of this request.
Help please... I put out a lot of money for this pretty machine

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
I'm distressed that I cannot request reader receipt with my emails as I have I have always done without having to hassle clients or myself in worrying whether the email was received at least. This was an option I took for granted with Outlook.
In addition I cannot save the changes to my stationery to be default as I begin a new email, but have to LABORIOUSLY re-create each email's stationery with my BRANDING. This is insane, illogical, not considered in the software design, somebody sneezed while designing and forgot what he was doing? Maybe.
I must have these 2 facilities.
Any help out there?
I have lodged this complaint with Apple in LA as an oversight on their part.For the request reader receipt I was able to speak to a humanoid assistant who tried his best and told me I WOULD HAVE TO SEND the 'reader receipt' matter TO FEEDBACK.
This is hard to believe. I did this and feel my request might have landed on iCloud but not penetrated as I have no acknowledgement or accountability of this request.
Help please... I put out a lot of money for this pretty machine

This is a feature with which OS X users have to live without for the time being i believe, unless someone has more accurate info, i don't use read receipts, so have never needed the functionality.

If you do desperately need such a function, you can use alternate email clients, i know that outlook is now included as part of Office for mac 2011. That might be a feasible option for the time being, also you have plenty of free clients which might work in the mean time. :)

There is a list of more suitable alternatives on the macrumors wiki http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

Hope that helps

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
You can turn on motion blur in Mission Control by going to Mission Control and pressing Cmd + B

Can you somehow activate this blur effect permanently? Maybe via some kind of terminal code? I really like it, but it goes away after restart/off on.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Ctrl + Up arrow goes into mission control
Ctrl + Down arrow in mission control will exit out of mission control
But you can also hold down shift and it will happen in slow motion

rosaconrad

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
[*]10.7 Hides the library folder in your home directory, so you dont' put it full of junk, this is because mobileme will shortly automatically sync your home directory if you choose…

Where can I find the Library folder? Im looking through spotlight for the folders related to the applications (for example skype) but I only see the icon... on my old mac you would find this folders in "Library"... thanks

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Where can I find the Library folder? Im looking through spotlight for the folders related to the applications (for example skype) but I only see the icon... on my old mac you would find this folders in "Library"... thanks

Open Finder, and click "Go" from the menu bar. Then press the option key on your keyboard and Library will appear :)

I dragged it into my Finder sidebar for quick and easy access in the future.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Can someone confirm that CMD + M does not longer work in 10.7.3 for the motion blur effect in Mission Control??

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Can someone confirm that CMD + M does not longer work in 10.7.3 for the motion blur effect in Mission Control??

You're right. Doesn't work.

The option for changing the Launchpad background has also been disabled, so it seems.

Shame, I really liked the motion blur and B&W Launchpad.

On a related note to 10.7.3, is anybody else experiencing a welcome increase in free RAM? With 10.7.2 my 4GB used to be depleted, sometimes reaching ~70MB, with the rest as inactive; however, with 10.7.3 I'm noticing that inactive memory seems to be more regularly flushed.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Is there a way to modify the timing of the transitions/effects? Such as how long it takes for elements like the slide down of the save file dialog, or the moving between spaces? There's also the small delay before the space you've changed to, to activate the application. Like if you wanted to change the song in iTunes that's sitting in it's own space, you have to wait that tiny time before your right arrow would register.

flopperr999

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Not sure if this is new to Lion, but it is certainly new to me--you can alter the color palate of the pie charts in the Activity Monitor...just click the colored squares in any of the tabs in the Activity Monitor (System memory, disk usage, etc), and up pops a color wheel :cool:

mystera

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Not sure if mentioned or not, but Option-Shift-Volume doesn't increase/decrease the volume by 1/4 now.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Discovered this completely by accident. At first I thought it was a bug or something.

But it's a very handy feature. I don't know if this is just a Lion feature or if everyone knows about it but:

If you have multiple windows on the desktop and you want to move an app that is at the back but don't want to make it the foreground app, you can press command and then drag the window. It will move it without making that window the foreground app/window! Definite time saver and cool feature, that one! :D

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Here is one little (and annoying to me) issue I found in 10.7

When using Quicktime 7 .midi music files play at a very reduced volume output. And even maxing out your sound output does not do all that much. Quicktime X will not play .midi music files anymore.

And I am yet to find a free app that will play these .midi files on OS X.
VLC won't even play .midi sound/music files anymore.

Does anyone know of a fix/workaround for this?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Here is one little (and annoying to me) issue I found in 10.7

When using Quicktime 7 .midi music files play at a very reduced volume output. And even maxing out your sound output does not do all that much. Quicktime X will not play .midi music files anymore.

And I am yet to find a free app that will play these .midi files on OS X.
VLC won't even play .midi sound/music files anymore.

Does anyone know of a fix/workaround for this?

I've been looking about for a while. I was hoping Mt. Lion's QT would do it... no.

Apple ist wtf'n all over this issue.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I've been looking about for a while. I was hoping Mt. Lion's QT would do it... no.

Apple ist wtf'n all over this issue.

Yeah same. Apple is not wanting to acknowledge or fix this issue. Pretty sad. Cause I dealt with those files all the time on 10.6. But on 10.7/10.8 nothing.

If I find a 3rd party solution for this I'll be sure to let you know.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Anone noticed this (occasionally) but can, and does, happen.? "invisible" icon on the desktop

Only happened once, but this is for the the dock.plit needs trashed or something ?

Attachments

• Being Invisable.png
    Being Invisable.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 402

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Anone noticed this (occasionally) but can, and does, happen.? "invisible" icon on the desktop

Only happened once, but this is for the the dock.plit needs trashed or something ?

Could be e a temporary file? Microsoft Office does create something like that, too.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I gotta say that 10.7.3 is generally stable. I had some crap going on with USB and monitors after the initial install, but it ironed out somehow on second restart and hasn't appeared again.

Launchpad is a good idea.
Mission Control is good, too.
Pretty much the only annoying thing is the constant spelling correction I can't get control of. Since I write in German, English, and sometimes Japanese, I loathe how it will try to respell my German as English.

The new look in iCal/Calendar is OK, but it really isn't better. The old, simple style was actually excellent, but they needed to add more customization to the program.

Mail's iPhone-type style is AWFUL. Sorry Apple, but it really lacks format emphasis the old program had. Works good on the lil' screens, but it is pretty crap on a large screen. Info-wonky style.

I'm still probing around for all the little things. I dislike DVD Player doing full screen with both screens going black. Why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.