Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
In honor of the "10.7 All the Little Things!" thread on the Lion forum, I'd like to start one for Mountain Lion!

So talk about small details, little things that don't really get mentioned anywhere. Even the slightest change from Lion deserves to be noticed!

I heard someone say that the Devices list in the Finder sidebar can now be moved back to the top, for example.

MrRoyksopp

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I heard in a video on youtube that it's going to be a software update, somebody know about that?

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
I'm not 100% sure that this wasn't in Safari 5.1 but you can add the address book to the bookmarks bar (I have links to Facebook for each contact for example).

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I know I've said several times today about the ability to move devices (or shared) to the top of the finder sidebar (finally!)

Also searching within Launchpad, instant filtering.

TheBen

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
In QuickLook, there's now a share button, includes Email, Message and one more thing I can't remember (not Twitter though).

Another thing I found is that using Messages, you can send files over, with no restrictions to certain types of files nor to size (for example, I was able to send the Messages beta dmg to myself over iMessage. It was pretty fast as well).

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
My favourite 'little thing' is probably that safari tabs now sync with iOS via iCloud.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
How does this work?

I have 6 tabs open in Safari on ML and on opening Safari on my iPad I don't see any of them.

I haven't actually installed ML yet, but I read it on The Verge, I'm guessing it will enabled in a iOS update (if it's not already enabled).

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
how would that work tho? if i have different tabs on 3 different devices open how will it decide which ones to sync or will each device end up with like 9 tabs

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
how would that work tho? if i have different tabs on 3 different devices open how will it decide which ones to sync or will each device end up with like 9 tabs

The second device will already be loading the tabs you had open on the first by the time you put the first one down, I would hope anyway.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I've been wondering how the two finger left swipe will work for Notification Center while Safari is in the foreground. Right now the two finger swipe is to go forward a page.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I've been wondering how the two finger left swipe will work for Notification Center while Safari is in the foreground. Right now the two finger swipe is to go forward a page.

Notification Center's swipe has to start from the very righthand edge of the trackpad.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
General
-Option to save directly to iCloud from Save dialog in TextEdit (and presumably any app that supports iCloud document syncing)

PUHel.png

-When a document that is using Versions is changed, the "Edited" in the titlebar of the document pulsates blue for a few seconds.

-"Duplicate" now has a keyboard shortcut: Cmd-Shift-S. When you select Duplicate, a copy of the current document pops out and the titlebar becomes an editable text field, allowing you to enter a new name, hit enter, and be done.

OWGVY.png

-Option to show the Displays menu item "Never," "Always," or "Automatically" (presumably only when you have a second display connected)

Safari
-New "Passwords" tab in Safari preferences

-"Tell websites not to track me" option

-Option to turn off Google/Bing/Yahoo search suggestions

NFkTa.png

-Websites can provide notifications in Notification Center

lS5NL.png

-"Display images when the page opens" option (default is obviously checked)

-Several sharing options when right-clicking on an image on a page: Email, Message, Twitter, AirDrop, and Flickr

-Ability to rename bookmarks directly in the Bookmarks Bar

DUtdl.png

Finder

-New "Share" submenu when right-clicking on a file: Email, Message, AirDrop

Dashboard

-The widgets bar along the bottom for adding new widgets has been replaced with a Launchpad-style picker - including the ability to search.

ZFlU3.png

QuickTime X

-Controls remain hidden when the movie is paused

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
In QuickLook, there's now a share button, includes Email, Message and one more thing I can't remember (not Twitter though).

Another thing I found is that using Messages, you can send files over, with no restrictions to certain types of files nor to size (for example, I was able to send the Messages beta dmg to myself over iMessage. It was pretty fast as well).

They have finally solved the issue that has plagued humanity since the invention of the internet.

file_transfer.png

bbhegedus

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
The new tabs in Safari look like the tabs on the iPad's version of Mobile Safari.

You can launch Notification Center via a circle with a black dot inside of it, in the menu bar on the far right corner.

Launchpad icons are smaller

Location Services are disabled by default. You'll have to reenable them in order to turn on Find My Mac in the iCloud settings.

Favenris

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
I hope people can be kind enough to post screen shots for us. :) Particularly that Safari iPad tab new look, it sounds very interesting. Changing over to the Chrome-styled URL address bar is exactly, in my opinion.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Does finder still have that ugly gray icons in ML? Or is it color again like SL?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.