Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
When 10.8.3 is released?

There have been 11 betas so far so it has to be getting close. My best guess is that it'll see the light of day before the end of the month, hopefully coinciding with the announcement of 10.9.

kokeropie

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and just have my new MBP a few days ago. I'm not sure if it's the right place to ask, but I'll ask anyway.

Currently I'm using OS X 10.8.2. When I install an application, there's always a small windows and ask me to enter my password. Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks in advance :)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I had a question about Dashboard and sorry if this has been covered but I don't have time to read the past 50 pages...

Now I just came from Leopard on my old Mac and now have a new iMac with ML of course. Now in 10.5 the Dashboard appeared over the top of what ever programs you had running. I liked this as you could say use the calculator and still see numbers you might be working on. Now with Mountain Lion (and I like Lion) it appears from the side with a plain back ground.

Can it be changed so it was like before in Leopard?

BTW I looked it up on Google and the most I found was how to change the background image, which I did.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Now I just came from Leopard on my old Mac and now have a new iMac with ML of course. Now in 10.5 the Dashboard appeared over the top of what ever programs you had running. I liked this as you could say use the calculator and still see numbers you might be working on. Now with Mountain Lion (and I like Lion) it appears from the side with a plain back ground.

Can it be changed so it was like before in Leopard?

Hope this helps! I too much prefer having Dashboard as the old style :)

Screen%20Shot%202013-02-28%20at%2017.57.20.png

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Thanks, that does help, only thing now is there is no swipe action to bring up the dashboard, guess you can't have everything LOL

nelly22

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
There have been 11 betas so far so it has to be getting close. My best guess is that it'll see the light of day before the end of the month, hopefully coinciding with the announcement of 10.9.

12D74 is now out, so what's the new guess when it's out? Thanks

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Currently I'm using OS X 10.8.2. When I install an application, there's always a small windows and ask me to enter my password. Is there a way to disable this?
Yes, but not without making your computer very insecure and wide open to malware -- not to mention making "Accidental deletion" of critical files very easy.

The authorisation is there for a reason. It tells you that something wants to write files to System controlled areas of your disk. It gives you a chance to think twice before doing so. It also stops files from being over-written or deleted by mistake.

Features such as this are why OS X enjoys a reputation for considerable security. In short: this is a Good Thing™, and you should not want to remove it.

If you do try to remove it, I guarantee you will be back here asking about something that has gone wrong on your computer.

kokeropie

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Features such as this are why OS X enjoys a reputation for considerable security. In short: this is a Good Thing™, and you should not want to remove it.

Thanks for the information. Guess I have to get used to with OS X environment :)

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Small detail, but when you are scrolling in Finder window (eg Downloads folder) in List View, with lots of folders & sub-folders, when browsing these sub-folders, opening/closing them shifts the view of the Finder window back to top..

Its irritating as you must scroll back down to that particular folder again you were recently viewing.. :mad:

Finder should just close the current folder, as it usually does.

Yes it should. Finder is really terrible. The only thing that i feel is way better in windows (explorer).

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Quicklook within Spotlight results

Dunno how long this has been here, but i've just noticed it..

Tip: Hold down Command while Quicklook appears in Spotlight to reveal more info at bottom.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 4.19.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-17 at 4.19.23 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 633

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
Dunno how long this has been here, but i've just noticed it..

Tip: Hold down Command while Quicklook appears in Spotlight to reveal more info at bottom.

Nice find! :)
Maybe it would be nice if it showed the path of the file first rather than the name/content… well at least such thing exists.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Finder icon issues ??

Whats the deal with folders that are copied ?

The visual indication in Finder of the progress bar on a folder, does not always hold true. Even though when you choose "Get Info" afterwards, the visual folder icon in Finder changes to show its *now* no longer in "progress*

All these "in progress" folders or "waiting" are actually copied over fine.... But the appearance only reflex this when you do a "Get Info"

Attachments

• Fiinder #1.png
    Fiinder #1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 548
  • Finder #2.png
    Finder #2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 517
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.