Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyHawk60

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2016
Hello -

I’m looking for some quick thoughts. Best Buy has the 11” iPad Pro for $650 and the Air for $400. I’m coming from the 2018 iPad 9.7 (handing down to my son). I do no video editing or photo editing. Mainly use it for web, email, mild gaming film study (coaching HS football). Is it worth saving the $250 for the air or pull the trigger on the pro? What did you buy and why?
Thanks,
Cy

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
Picked up the Air from BB on the same deal. Honestly, I'm underwhelmed. I'd either go cheap or go big, but the middle child kind of doesn't do "enough" for what you pay. My main thing is that I have an XS Max for my iPhone and the AIR's LACK of stereo speakers is really, really 2011 for the supposed "mid tier" unit. I prefer watching video's on my MUCH smaller screen because the sound is just soooo much better.

With that said, is the iPad Pro overkill for what you're planning? Absolutely. But for watching video the immersive stereo speakers are simply too good to pass up. If you don't know what you're missing--keep missing it as you won't be able to go back. I would instead get a large amount of storage in a heavily discounted "basic" iPad if you don't want or need the other features of the Pro.

CyHawk60

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply. I’m still rocking an 8-Plus for my phone. I can see how the Pro would fit more inline with current iPhone lineup.

On the storage, My current iPad has 128 GB with 91.66 available. I really have no need for larger storage size.

I am intrigued by the quad speakers and the pro-motion. I’ve had thoughts about grabbing a refurbished 10.5 Pro from Apple. Hesitant to pull that trigger.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Picked up the Air from BB on the same deal. Honestly, I'm underwhelmed. I'd either go cheap or go big, but the middle child kind of doesn't do "enough" for what you pay. My main thing is that I have an XS Max for my iPhone and the AIR's LACK of stereo speakers is really, really 2011 for the supposed "mid tier" unit. I prefer watching video's on my MUCH smaller screen because the sound is just soooo much better.

With that said, is the iPad Pro overkill for what you're planning? Absolutely. But for watching video the immersive stereo speakers are simply too good to pass up. If you don't know what you're missing--keep missing it as you won't be able to go back. I would instead get a large amount of storage in a heavily discounted "basic" iPad if you don't want or need the other features of the Pro.

The iPad Air 3 does have stereo speakers. Previous Airs did not. The Pros even have quad speakers.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hello -

I’m looking for some quick thoughts. Best Buy has the 11” iPad Pro for $650 and the Air for $400. I’m coming from the 2018 iPad 9.7 (handing down to my son). I do no video editing or photo editing. Mainly use it for web, email, mild gaming film study (coaching HS football). Is it worth saving the $250 for the air or pull the trigger on the pro? What did you buy and why?
Thanks,
Cy

We enjoy the new 11” pro in the household but your use case can be performed by any iPad. Just get the iPad you’re enjoying the most.

Reactions: CyHawk60

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
The iPad Air 3 does have stereo speakers. Previous Airs did not. The Pros even have quad speakers.

Yes, yes I should have been technically accurate. The air has "stereo" speakers but not practical stereo "separation" for movies because both are on the BOTTOM of the Air. Sure, watching media from the side, which no one does, may create some separation. But watching movies typically means you hear it from only one side and you are not immersed.

The XS Max has this separation by using the call speaker on top as another stereo channel. I never thought I would care about this--but experiencing it means it's hard to go back.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, yes I should have been technically accurate. The air has "stereo" speakers but not practical stereo "separation" for movies because both are on the BOTTOM of the Air. Sure, watching media from the side, which no one does, may create some separation. But watching movies typically means you hear it from only one side and you are not immersed.

The XS Max has this separation by using the call speaker on top as another stereo channel. I never thought I would care about this--but experiencing it means it's hard to go back.

A that makes more sense now, thanks for clarifying this for me. Appreciate it.

All iPads really deserve 4 speakers. Not that this makes the Pro sound awesome but more useable for sure.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
You’ll be more than happy with the air. Assuming you were satisfied with the 2018 9.7, the air will still be a nice step up

MAXiPAD

Suspended
Dec 9, 2019
Between the Air 3 and Pro 10.5 I went Air 3 as well. Something about 2017 hardware, even with its benefits, doesn't sit well with me in 2019 making a big investment to last a few more years. The 10.5 Pro will certainly be supported for the next 3 years, but as time goes on it's less of a priority for Apple to optimise it. The 2019 Air will be sold into 2020 with 5 years of support, the first few MUST have it working to its best to sell it and ensure iPad is still a loved and trusted product name to consumers - especially non iPad Pro customers who want it to 'just work'

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
i ultimately went with the air for one key reason...BENDING...the pros bend way to easy for me even in a case to use practically..

I even had a 11 inch pro bend on me while trying to put it as gently as possible in an otter-box case (which is one of the best most protective cases you can buy on the market today)

I hate the fact that i had to go with an air, because i love the true stereo speakers, i love the tap to wake and face id and 120hz display and the slightly faster processor... but if the thing is so fragile where i cant use it in a practical mannor, espically out in the real world...then it totally defeats the purpose of owning it!

If the rumors are true and next spring or fall they ultimatly put out a new pro, and even if its soul feature is just a stronger frame, i will gladly sell my air and go with a pro no questions asked, but apple really messed up here and made it so thin that its just not structually sound enough for me to use practically without risking damaging it!

Yes i know the airs will bend too if you try hard enough to get them too..im not asking for anything unrealistic but its harder to bend an air over a pro

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
i ultimately went with the air for one key reason...BENDING...the pros bend way to easy for me even in a case to use practically..

I even had a 11 inch pro bend on me while trying to put it as gently as possible in an otter-box case (which is one of the best most protective cases you can buy on the market today)

I hate the fact that i had to go with an air, because i love the true stereo speakers, i love the tap to wake and face id and 120hz display and the slightly faster processor... but if the thing is so fragile where i cant use it in a practical mannor, espically out in the real world...then it totally defeats the purpose of owning it!

If the rumors are true and next spring or fall they ultimatly put out a new pro, and even if its soul feature is just a stronger frame, i will gladly sell my air and go with a pro no questions asked, but apple really messed up here and made it so thin that its just not structually sound enough for me to use practically without risking damaging it!

Yes i know the airs will bend too if you try hard enough to get them too..im not asking for anything unrealistic but its harder to bend an air over a pro
My 10.5 pro is bent. I did nothing to make it bend. The air 3 is basically the same as the 10.5 inch pro minus a few features. I don’t mind as it doesn’t effect the function of the device. I had apple care and could have gotten it replaced but to be honest as I said it wasn’t effecting the function of the device and I could have ended up with something worse like the white spot issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yourbigpalal83

CyHawk60

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2016
You’ll be more than happy with the air. Assuming you were satisfied with the 2018 9.7, the air will still be a nice step up

I am happy with my 9.7. Main reason for me to get a new one was to give it to my son.

Not going to lie, the 62 pages in the “bend” thread concerned me.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Once you are used to the speaker system of the Pro, you can’t go back. Also with ProMotion.

If you don’t care about any of that, Air 3 is a good choice. Although, IMO, the 10.5 Pro is still a better pick of the two. The A10X chip still has benefits over the regular A12. Plus you can get awesome deals with the 10.5 Pro, new. Cheaper than the Air 3.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Do you have a link?

Does anyone have experience with buying refurbished from Apple?

Walmart had an awesome deal for the 512 GB Wi-Fi model for $399. I will look and see if it’s still there.

Also, buying from the refurb store with Apple, they all come with a one year warranty. In my eyes, they’re brand new based on what they do with them to resell.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
No brainer the 11" Pro, the rest are old tech and old TID with home button and bezels. And pro motion is great.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Had a 10.5 = white spot, light bleed on others, returned a mini 5 for magenta/red tint few months ago.

My 11 pro since December last year = perfect.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

Easy? Its unfortunate you had a awful experience with the iPP, but they bend easy? I don’t know about that... and I can’t say what type of pressure you put on them cause I honestly don’t know.

But the bending issue is overblown IMO, there’s a few cases of users who experience it... but as long as you take care of it like any other product, it won’t be an issue.

CyHawk60

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2016
Has anyone had a bad experience with Apple certified refurbished? Considering returning the air and ordering a 10.5 pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.