Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hectorvs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Got the keyboard folio on launch day and I’ve been noticing that the capslock is being activated without me knowing... It takes me by surprise when I start typing and everything is in CAPS.

Now, pressing the capslock key again acts like it should, things go back to normal... so it may be because I’m unknowningly activating capslock when I’m opening the iPad and setting it up... Still haven’t found a comfortable way of opening / closing / changing positions yet...

Can’t really discard a HW problem yet, either, though, anyone else noticing this?

Reactions: jagooch

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
This is also happening with me. I have the 11”.

Vast majority of the time when I start typing on the keyboard caps lock is on. Have no idea how to resolve.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
I've noticed this a few times too, although I chalked it up to an accidental push. But maybe not with others thinking they didn't put the caps lock key on.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

tskwara

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Something is definitely up with this. I haven’t payed enough attention to understand why or when this happens, but this happened to me several times. Enough for me to wonder why that cap lock key is so big (on all keyboards).

2018 iPad Pro 12.9 1TB

MacCoder2011

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I have the same issue with 2018 12.9 IPad Pro (512GB). I even exchanged my keyboard folio today with apple. Cap lock seems to randomly trigger.

ApplePlectic

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
The Deep South
I’m having the same issue here. I notice it most often when switching between applications using the Command-Tab key sequence. I thought I was maybe accidentally pressing the Caps Lock key but after a few times of intentionally being quite certain I was pressing Command-Tab the problem kept happening. I think it might be a software bug of some type because the Caps lock key works as expected at all other times.

tthkbw

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a 1017 10.5" iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard and I have this problem all the time. I have been using this combination daily since September of 2017. This never used to happen and I believe it began with the release of iOS 12.

If I were somehow hitting the caps lock key and causing this, I would have noticed it long ago as my method of opening and closing the device is habitual and developed when I got my first iPad with Smart Keyboard in December, 2015.

So, bottom line is that I am firmly convinced this is an iOS problem and coincides with the September 2018 release of iOS 12.

Eventually, Apple with fix this with an update. In the meantime it is irritating as hell.

Brhinminn

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Minnesota
Same here. About 50% of the time I unlock my iPad it will activate the caps lock initially. I never use the caps lock and it is on sometimes. I KNOW I am not bumping it, as I usually leave it open on my desk at work, and I open the iPad with a double tap of the space bar (that works well and FaceID is really fast).

Cdporterfield

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2019
I have an iPad Pro 12.9 with the folio keyboard. Mine types all caps every time aftermaths being opened, with no selection of all caps. Toggling settings seems not to correct this. My guess is is it’ a software issue and hope that Apple will correct this. If it’s a hardware problem, then Apple will have to exchange LOTS of keyboard folios.

ice.

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2017
Same problem here, running iOS 12.1.1, iPad Pro 12.9 3rd Gen. You can already notice when all suggestions are uppercase. I have the keyboard folio since 3 days and thought it was me accidently hitting caps lock :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Been noticing this on my iPad Pro 11. Caps lock activates, and it’s different between apps, i.e. I can have caps lock activated on Messages, but it’s not activated in Safari etc. Very peculiar.

Last edited:

kamik423

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2014
I have the same thing on my relatively new 2018 iPad Pro 12.9.

Also random "7"s appear sometimes. I never see them get typed, but a lot of my documents have them. I usually notice them when reopening documents.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
I have found that it happens to me on sites that require or for some reason force capitalization of the first letter. I’m sure there is some simple setting but I noticed myself randomly hitting the caps lock or shift key to get it to not do it. Then I’d forget and the CAPS would fire away.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
This seems to be getting worse for me on the 12.9 in recent days and its doing my head in!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.