Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brhinminn

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Minnesota
I ahve the same issue. I had a 12.9 original iPad and it NEVER happened. It happens about 20-30% of the time I turn on the iPad, and it is already opened, I start it by tapping the screen or double tapping the space bar to open the iPad. this is clearly NOT accidentally touching the CAPS LOCK. It does seem worse in the last 2 weeks, but that could be anecdotal.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I ahve the same issue. I had a 12.9 original iPad and it NEVER happened. It happens about 20-30% of the time I turn on the iPad, and it is already opened, I start it by tapping the screen or double tapping the space bar to open the iPad. this is clearly NOT accidentally touching the CAPS LOCK. It does seem worse in the last 2 weeks, but that could be anecdotal.

It’s just a software issue. Rebooting my iPad Pro 11 always fixes it. But it’s annoying nevertheless.

mag780

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2019
Newtown, CT
I switched off “Auto-Capitalization” for the Hardware keyboard and it seems that has helped. You’ll find the setting in General>Keyboards>Hardware Keyboard only while the Hardware keyboard is connected/active

Has anyone here resolved the issue with a replacement of the keyboard?

Reactions: johnnyapples33d

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I switched off “Auto-Capitalization” for the Hardware keyboard and it seems that has helped. You’ll find the setting in General>Keyboards>Hardware Keyboard only while the Hardware keyboard is connected/active

Has anyone here resolved the issue with a replacement of the keyboard?

No doubt in my mind it’s a software bug. Unfortunately still present in iOS 12.2.

Reactions: jagooch

SPNBaby

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
I’ve noticed recently that my 2018 12.9 SKF has been doing this.

I remembered reading about people having issues in this forum and thought i’d see if a cause was found.

Looks like a no.

Edit: I received it release day, if that makes any difference.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I’ve noticed recently that my 2018 12.9 SKF has been doing this.

I remembered reading about people having issues in this forum and thought i’d see if a cause was found.

Looks like a no.

Edit: I received it release day, if that makes any difference.

I’ve got $5 that says they all do it. Like being able to press a key to unlock the iPad Pro to the home screen failing after a few locks and unlocks (till you reboot), this one screams software issue.

ruiinplano

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2019
Definitely you are right. I felt like there should be a problem, never paid attention to it untill saw your post

KingJohn

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2019
Got the keyboard folio on launch day and I’ve been noticing that the capslock is being activated without me knowing... It takes me by surprise when I start typing and everything is in CAPS.

Now, pressing the capslock key again acts like it should, things go back to normal... so it may be because I’m unknowningly activating capslock when I’m opening the iPad and setting it up... Still haven’t found a comfortable way of opening / closing / changing positions yet...

Can’t really discard a HW problem yet, either, though, anyone else noticing this?
[doublepost=1561822272][/doublepost]Same thing here. New 11” iPad and Smart Keyboard. Soon as I open CAPS LOCK engages. Easy fix of course...buy annoying none the less

RPB65

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2017
Yep. Am on iPadOS 13 public beta 3 and it’s still doing it on my 12.9” iPad Pro. LOL but not so lol as feckin’ annoying.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
It wouldn’t be so annoying if there was some way of knowing caps lock was on without typing, like a light on the key!

Am I missing another way of seeing that it is on?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Anybody found a fix for this issue? Seems to be occurring more frequently for me lately. I, too, thought it was me accidentally hitting the caps lock key, but it happened, I turned it off, didn’t even touch the keyboard, and it happened again. Yet another Apple bug.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
No fix yet. Every thread about this issue on Apple discussions site has no replies . That is probably because there isn't a solution. I'm on ipad pro 10.5 using Apple Smart Keyboard. I guess keyboard is first gen since I got it Jan 2018. Latest iOS (13.2, I think ) installed.

I haven't left them feedback on this, but I will now !

Estrobink Estrobink

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Guys i figured out a solution! You can actually disable the function of the caps lock key or change its function to doing a different action, such as “command“ instead of the caps lock function. This fixed it for me, and you can always change it back to the caps lock function when you actually want to use the caps lock button on the Smart Keyboard. In order too change the function, go to Settings>general>keyboard>”Hardware Keyboard”>Tap on “modifier Keys”>Tap on “Caps Lock Key”, and then choose the function you want it to use. Hopefully this helps, and have a wonderful day!
-Aidan

Reactions: jags828
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.