Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJIceT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
on average, next hardware update is in about 4 months, but i can't wait that long. heard the rumors about updating widescreen, might drown battery more?

10.4.3 update is supposedly mid-october

what should i do??

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
My feeling is that the iBooks were just 'updated' at the end of July (according to MR's 'buyer's guide' tab at the top of the page; July 29th) so there is little chance of any upgrade to the iBooks until the MacIntels come out. But once again, no body knows for sure (unless you're highly privy to top secret Appley stuff like Mr. Steve Jobs).

Right now, the 12" iBook is an incredible purchase; awesome bang for your buck. If you can't wait for 4 months like you said, then don't wait... Get the iBook now! It really is a great little machine and has won my heart over from my 12" PB. :eek:

DJIceT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2005
i guess you're right about the macintel part, they and the powermacs would be the first ones to implement the intels, so i'm guessing the pbs will get updates about 2-3 months just before that, to get rid of them

i think i'm going to the apple store next tuesday and check it out. if i go to the apple store and buy from them, would i be able to pay cash? it's just about 1500 including taxes, if i can pay cash, i'll buy right away, otherwise i don't wanna wait to bring my dad and use his credit card, we are never available together.. what about the 120-day same-as-cash option? how does that work?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
DJIceT said:
i guess you're right about the macintel part, they and the powermacs would be the first ones to implement the intels, so i'm guessing the pbs will get updates about 2-3 months just before that, to get rid of them
Wow you must be privy to info that I'm not-- all that is just other people's guesses, none of it is known for certain yet. It just doesn't seem very likely to me that the iBooks that were just upgraded would receive another upgrade w/in the next 4 months.
DJIceT said:
if i go to the apple store and buy from them, would i be able to pay cash?
I don't see why not... When I went I threw down $700 in cash and paid the rest of my PB w/ my credit card. I, personally, don't know any stores that would ever turn down cash.
DJIceT said:
what about the 120-day same-as-cash option? how does that work?
I'm not too sure... if you go to Apple's site here you could read the different Terms and Conditions that apply.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
curious

Get the iBook now! It really is a great little machine and has won my heart over from my 12" PB. :eek:[/QUOTE]

curious by what you mean about the IB winning your heart over from yuor 12"PB? :)

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
devilot76 said:
Get the iBook now! It really is a great little machine and has won my heart over from my 12" PB. :eek:

(sorry your quote came out wrong when i typed before... i try again)

curious by what you mean about the IB winning your heart over from your 12"PB?
:)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
panda said:
curious by what you mean about the IB winning your heart over from yuor 12"PB? :)
I own both a 12" 1.33GHz iBook (latest/most current version) as well as the slightly older 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook. So I have had the chance to get a good feel for both.

Yes the PB is:
-sleeker
-smaller/ more compact
-weighs less
-has a nicer feeling keyboard (IMO)
-more VRAM (64MB vs the iB's 32MB)
-more ports
-natively supported screen spanning
-as well as other 'goodies'

However, for my non-power-user purposes, I have fallen head over heels in love w/ my iBook and here's why:
-anywhere from 1-2+ hours of battery life compared to the PB
-runs much much cooler (to the touch)
-much better wi-fi reception
-much more durable/ hardy (plastic vs. easy-to-dent metal)
-matches my iMac G5 (yes, that is a shallow reason but let's face it, most people buying a Mac care about aesthetics!)
-much better deal as far as bang for buck

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
good thoughts

devilot76 said:
I own both a 12" 1.33GHz iBook (latest/most current version) as well as the slightly older 12" 1.33GHz PowerBook. So I have had the chance to get a good feel for both.

Yes the PB is:
-sleeker
-smaller/ more compact
-weighs less
-has a nicer feeling keyboard (IMO)
-more VRAM (64MB vs the iB's 32MB)
-more ports
-natively supported screen spanning
-as well as other 'goodies'

However, for my non-power-user purposes, I have fallen head over heels in love w/ my iBook and here's why:
-anywhere from 1-2+ hours of battery life compared to the PB
-runs much much cooler (to the touch)
-much better wi-fi reception
-much more durable/ hardy (plastic vs. easy-to-dent metal)
-matches my iMac G5 (yes, that is a shallow reason but let's face it, most people buying a Mac care about aesthetics!)
-much better deal as far as bang for buck

good points indeed. i don't have your luxury of owning both, i use a much older IB 500 and one of the things i've noticed as a difference between this one and an al PB is a tactile one.

the IB is somehow cosier, due to the plastic casing. as i use mine all the time and often on my lap, it is a relevant difference. at least for me.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
panda said:
good points indeed. i don't have your luxury of owning both, i use a much older IB 500 and one of the things i've noticed as a difference between this one and an al PB is a tactile one.

the IB is somehow cosier, due to the plastic casing. as i use mine all the time and often on my lap, it is a relevant difference. at least for me.
Yes, I paid for the PB after saving up for about a year... then my older sister (who's 26 by the way) her Dell laptop crapped out on her and so I kindly offered her my PB on the condition that what would have been her replacement laptop would become my replacement laptop. She seemed miffed at first when I suggested it because she figured she'd rather a brand new notebook vs a previously loved-- but after looking in an Apple store, she agreed that she loved the feel/look of the PB over the iBook and so really, I saved my dad well over $300 since he only had to buy 'her' the iBook vs a new PB. So I took a hit to my own wallet especially because she gets to keep the iPod mini... *bitter grumbling*

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
devilot76 said:
Yes, I paid for the PB after saving up for about a year... then my older sister (who's 26 by the way) her Dell laptop crapped out on her and so I kindly offered her my PB on the condition that what would have been her replacement laptop would become my replacement laptop. She seemed miffed at first when I suggested it because she figured she'd rather a brand new notebook vs a previously loved-- but after looking in an Apple store, she agreed that she loved the feel/look of the PB over the iBook and so really, I saved my dad well over $300 since he only had to buy 'her' the iBook vs a new PB. So I took a hit to my own wallet especially because she gets to keep the iPod mini... *bitter grumbling*

that seems either tremendously nice and generous of you, or else you felt something really special for the IB. :)

sounds like a white nano is waiting for you just around the corner...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
panda said:
that seems either tremendously nice and generous of you, or else you felt something really special for the IB. :)

sounds like a white nano is waiting for you just around the corner...
I'm a sucker when it comes to family... let them walk all over me. :( And you've hit the nail on the head!!!

I've been lusting after the white nano since I first saw it. :eek:

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
well....

devilot76 said:
I'm a sucker when it comes to family... let them walk all over me. :( And you've hit the nail on the head!!!

I've been lusting after the white nano since I first saw it. :eek:

i think i can see your problem re family. maybe you should speak to frasier or niles about that, but to me it appears sweetly kind hearted.

as for the nano... yup... a pure pearl of perfection :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.