Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Hey everyone,

after updating to 13.2, everytime I just put my finger on the screen before I want to start scrolling my phone slightly vibrates. Is this a bug or do you also have haptic feedback as soon as you lay your finger on the screen?

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Hey everyone,

after updating to 13.2, everytime I just put my finger on the screen before I want to start scrolling my phone slightly vibrates. Is this a bug or do you also have haptic feedback as soon as you lay your finger on the screen?

I created an account just to reply to this. I just noticed this few minutes ago on mine and I thought I was going crazy! I dropped my phone earlier today and I thought maybe the haptic system got damaged but clearly you're noticing this as well. It's almost as if its an initial "click" before the haptic kicks in.

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
I created an account just to reply to this. I just noticed this few minutes ago on mine and I thought I was going crazy! I dropped my phone earlier today and I thought maybe the haptic system got damaged but clearly you're noticing this as well. It's almost as if its an initial "click" before the haptic kicks in.

exactly. It’s driving me crazy. I already filed a bug report. Hope they fix this soon.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
exactly. It’s driving me crazy. I already filed a bug report. Hope they fix this soon.

I was gonna go to the apple store because I thought I damaged it, but I'll file a bug report too as well.
[automerge]1572724729[/automerge]
It seems to only happen in places where haptic is supported. For example, if you open a new notes page and lightly touch the screen you can feel and hear a click. It's so weird I just noticed it after a few days of having 13.2. I'm using an 11 Pro Max.

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I was gonna go to the apple store because I thought I damaged it, but I'll file a bug report too as well.
[automerge]1572724729[/automerge]
It seems to only happen in places where haptic is supported. For example, if you open a new notes page and lightly touch the screen you can feel and hear a click. It's so weird I just noticed it after a few days of having 13.2. I'm using an 11 Pro Max.
Yep it has to be in a certain app. It interprets your touch as an indication you're going to further interact with it. I even get it in some game apps. I just ignore it or use it if I need to.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada
Yep it has to be in a certain app. It interprets your touch as an indication you're going to further interact with it. I even get it in some game apps. I just ignore it or use it if I need to.

It very well may be a new "feature" in 13.2, but I would assume they'd mention it somewhere. I cant tell if it's a bug, feature, or a hardware issue.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
The bugs are the new “features” There are so many of them some had to be intentional.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
right? This release has been a mess. it seems like they alternate between a really good one and a really crappy one.
When MobileMe was debuted around the time of iPhone 3G there were a multitude of problems and Steve Jobs issued a public apology. I believe this is even worse and another public apology is warranted from Mr. Cook.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Hey everyone,

If you’re finding it to be too responsive, you can slow it down by going to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Haptic Touch and changing it from fast, to slow.

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
If you’re finding it to be too responsive, you can slow it down by going to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Haptic Touch and changing it from fast, to slow.
It is something else. There is a short "click" that happens as soon as I put my finger on the screen, e. g. here on this website in safari.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
It is something else. There is a short "click" that happens as soon as I put my finger on the screen, e. g. here on this website in safari.

Is it selecting any text, or anything else when you do it? Mine does the same but I usually find that it has selected something, somewhere on the page when it does it. You can also go into Touch Accommodations in the same section I mentioned and by enabling Hold Duration you can completely customise how long it is before anything happens when you touch the screen.

Adjusting that to your likeness should rectify the issue

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Is it selecting any text, or anything else when you do it? Mine does the same but I usually find that it has selected something, somewhere on the page when it does it. You can also go into Touch Accommodations in the same section I mentioned and by enabling Hold Duration you can completely customise how long it is before anything happens when you touch the screen.

Adjusting that to your likeness should rectify the issue
no, it has nothing to do with selecting text. And the Hold Duration has also no effect. The clicking happens instantaneous when putting the finger on screen. The only way to avoid this is to start swiping while putting the finger down. But normally you do it the other way round: you put the finger on the screen and then start to scroll.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
no, it has nothing to do with selecting text. And the Hold Duration has also no effect. The clicking happens instantaneous when putting the finger on screen. The only way to avoid this is to start swiping while putting the finger down. But normally you do it the other way round: you put the finger on the screen and then start to scroll.

Sounds like a hardware issue, not a software one.

If it was software, I’m sure more people than just you and a couple of others would be complaining about it.

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Sounds like a hardware issue, not a software one.

If it was software, I’m sure more people than just you and a couple of others would be complaining about it.
I don’t think so. It started right after installing 13.2 and the clicking has to be initiated by software, not hardware.

Reactions: MozMan68

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Definitely a weird one, have you sent feedback to Apple? If it's not cured in the next update it would be worth getting in touch with support, just in case it's a hardware issue. Similar thing happened with my iPhone X, which also only started after a software update but just wouldn't go away.

Have you tried doing a factory reset and setting up as new, to see if it persists?

Tilli85

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Definitely a weird one, have you sent feedback to Apple? If it's not cured in the next update it would be worth getting in touch with support, just in case it's a hardware issue. Similar thing happened with my iPhone X, which also only started after a software update but just wouldn't go away.

Have you tried doing a factory reset and setting up as new, to see if it persists?
Yes, I filed a bug report. I hope 13.2.1 gets released soon (there are quite some bugs: App updates hang, Multitasking errors) and it resolves my problem. Haven‘t done a factory reset yet since it always involves quite some work (setting up passwords etc)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Yes, I filed a bug report. I hope 13.2.1 gets released soon (there are quite some bugs: App updates hang, Multitasking errors) and it resolves my problem. Haven‘t done a factory reset yet since it always involves quite some work (setting up passwords etc)

Yes, it is generally an almighty pain in the rear. It’s something I try to avoid, before now I can’t even remember the last time I did a new setup.

However, some days ago I was getting so annoyed with things that were happening, I decided to try a wipe and setup as new - it actually worked wonders.

Beyond a couple of issues that are definitely the current iOS (background management and VoLTE issues) it cured a lot of the problems I was having, my iPhone is working so much better, it was definitely worth the small amount of hassle.

Reactions: MozMan68

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

Placebo. That setting doesn’t do squat. Hasn’t done squat in over a year. Trust me, I know.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Placebo. That setting doesn’t do squat. Hasn’t done squat in over a year. Trust me, I know.

Much, and to the naked eye, no, but neither is it a placebo. You can easily verify this yourself by doing a screen recording and comparing the timestamps, but there is about a half second delay (well 0.62 on mine, but allowing for errors) between having it on fast and having it on slow.

It may not seem like much and as I say, to the naked eye, its not. But If you're a person such as myself who has nerve damage, or any other condition which causes your fingers to twitch a bit, you will actually notice a reduction in the amount of false positives.

Half a second may not be a huge delay, but to be fair, if they made it 2 seconds even we disabled types would complain, but it's enough of a change to make the difference between contextual actions opening up when you touch an icon, instead of the app opening as you'd intended.

snyp1193

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
Canada

Did you ever get a reply on it? It seems to be doing it on iOS 13.3 as well. What's really strange is It doesnt do it on the demo iPhone 11 Pros at the Apple Store running 13.2.3. It almost makes me want to think it's an issue with my phone rather than a bug...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.