Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I'm upgrading from a 2013 13" MBP, which has driven a 4k 32" and HD 22" monitor. My 16" arrived yesterday (base 2.6Ghz +1Tb SSD), first attempt at Migration from an SSD clone was unsuccessful, so I reinstalled, and migration went fine. My CalDigit USB-C Pro dock arrived today. I have a 32" 4k (scaled) and the 22" HD running through the dock (both on Displayport cables) and the second 32" 4k (also scaled) running from a USBC-Displayport cable from the other side of the laptop. That way, I've got one 4K on each TB bridge (can't remember the term, but there's one for the two left ports, and one for the two right.) Running it all in clamshell mode, no problems (knock on wood.)

I've even got my Microsoft Sculpt USB-remote keyboard running through the dock, with apparently no delay.

Fan is not blowing at all, I heard a little coil whine during the Migration process but nothing since then, none of the other reported problems, and I'm happy as a clam. Just have some organizing to do now: put the MBP in a vertical dock behind the monitors, try to mount my Bose Companion 5s to the wall, and reroute all the cables, clean it up a bit.

IMG_0625.jpg

Reactions: Mojo1019

niho

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2019
Do you hear any fan noise? When I connect 1 external display, fans starting on idle after 10 mins and never stop. They are always around 2600 rpm .

Reactions: Daverru and Andy-V

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
External displays activate the Radeon, even on idle, and the Radeon draws significant power and kicks the fans to ~2600 RPM, as you say...

Reactions: niho

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I’d be interested in whether it runs hot in clamshell mode with those monitors hooked up
Not a bit. Fans aren't running right now. Nothing but Safari and Spotify open, of course, but all three monitors are connected and running.

I have had one odd thing. My Microsoft Sculpt keyboard uses a wireless dongle to connect. The keyboard performance has been really variable depending on what it's plugged in to. I had it plugged in to the dock, but it seemed to have some delays. So I plugged it into one of the right-side USB-C ports (using a USB-C/A adaptor), and keypresses were recognized maybe 1 in 10. I put in new batteries, didn't help. Then I changed it to a different port, and no problems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
A quirk or two:
Couldn't awaken from sleep; Had to unplug everything, reboot several times, and then it took Apollo 13-like replugging to get everything back to normal (dock, third monitor, keyboard dongle).

Also, it turns out I can't use the keyboard dongle on the right-side USB-C ports. It reads maybe one in 10 keystrokes. On the left, it's fine. No problems since then. I ran the hardware test, and it showed nothing. Is there a more specific way to test USB-C/TB ports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.