Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I'm aware of this thread that talks a lot about the TS3+ and the new 16, but I didn't see my issue mentioned. I just picked up the beefy in-store model (2.4, 32GB, 2TB) and a TS3+. I have 2 4K monitors hooked up to it. As long as the lid on the MBP is open, everything works great. If I close it, the screens go black and I can't wake it up. Even worse, if I open the lid back up the laptop still won't wake up and I have to hold the power button.

Is this issue related to the power/other issues noted already? Anyone have a TS3+ and a 16" and successfully use clamshell mode? If so, are you driving 2 4K screens? I've reached out to CalDigit support but haven't gotten a reply yet. Figured I'd check here and see if anyone else has come across this issue. Thanks.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I have the $2400 16" and works fine for me. I am going to exchange it for the one available in store with the 8 core processors, 32gb RAM, 2TB HDD, and 8gb Video Card, so I can let you know if I have this issue as well.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Did you need to do anything special? Or just straight hook stuff up it worked?

Appreciate the feedback.

I did an online chat with CalDigit support. I reset NVRAM and SMC and it didn't help. They asked for a copy of my System Report to take a look. So we'll see what they say. I'll try 1 screen at a time and see if it helps at all.

*Update*
1 screen at a time works. Either one, doesn't matter if it's the DisplayPort or the TB port one. Just 1 will work in clamshell. The moment I plug the 2nd screen in it will show it, but then everything locks up and the machine is non-responsive. I'll update them with this information.

If anyone else is using the setup with 2 4K screens, please let me know if you did anything special (or what kind of cables you're using, mine are CableMatters cables).

Last edited:

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Did you need to do anything special? Or just straight hook stuff up it worked?

Appreciate the feedback.

I did an online chat with CalDigit support. I reset NVRAM and SMC and it didn't help. They asked for a copy of my System Report to take a look. So we'll see what they say. I'll try 1 screen at a time and see if it helps at all.

*Update*
1 screen at a time works. Either one, doesn't matter if it's the DisplayPort or the TB port one. Just 1 will work in clamshell. The moment I plug the 2nd screen in it will show it, but then everything locks up and the machine is non-responsive. I'll update them with this information.

If anyone else is using the setup with 2 4K screens, please let me know if you did anything special (or what kind of cables you're using, mine are CableMatters cables).
I just hooked it up and worked. I am not daisy chaining the monitors via Displayport.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Are they 4K screens?

So, I set all displays to be "default" instead of scaled (I like more screen real estate). Now when I close the lid at least both screens turn on. The mouse cursor will move, but nothing is clickable. And eventually I get a spinning beach ball and I can't do anything at all (and need to hard reset again).

(1 display is hooked up DP->DP the other DP->USB-C into the TB port on the dock)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Have you installed the supplemental update?
Not suggesting, but have you tried the latest 10.15.2 beta by any chance?

This is not an issue limited to the TS3 Plus. There appears to be a driver issue Apple needs to address with external monitors. Unfortunately, this is the first instance of the drivers for 5X00/5X00M. It's probably going to take 3-6 weeks to "work out the kinks" vs previous generation drivers (RX 5XX Series).

Someone in another thread mentioned they think this might be related to graphics switching from 5X00M to the Intel when the built-in monitor stops displaying. On the surface the explanation makes sense, just have not seen any proof that is actually the issue.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Are they 4K screens?

So, I set all displays to be "default" instead of scaled (I like more screen real estate). Now when I close the lid at least both screens turn on. The mouse cursor will move, but nothing is clickable. And eventually I get a spinning beach ball and I can't do anything at all (and need to hard reset again).

(1 display is hooked up DP->DP the other DP->USB-C into the TB port on the dock)
yes they are the LG 27" UK650

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Are they 4K screens?

Try hooking up the USB-C to DP monitor only and then try to run it in clamshell mode with just that one attached, nothing on the regular DisplayPort. I think that may be where your problem lies.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Have you installed the supplemental update?
Not suggesting, but have you tried the latest 10.15.2 beta by any chance?

This is not an issue limited to the TS3 Plus. There appears to be a driver issue Apple needs to address with external monitors. Unfortunately, this is the first instance of the drivers for 5X00/5X00M. It's probably going to take 3-6 weeks to "work out the kinks" vs previous generation drivers (RX 5XX Series).

Someone in another thread mentioned they think this might be related to graphics switching from 5X00M to the Intel when the built-in monitor stops displaying. On the surface the explanation makes sense, just have not seen any proof that is actually the issue.
Beta: no

Ok, I haven't looked around enough to see other similar issues. It's somewhat encouraging to hear that it's not isolated. I'll poke around more and see what else I can find. I also have a couple of DP->USB-C cables t home. I'll see if I plug both monitors directly into the laptop what happens, instead of using the dock. I'll just have to make due for now I suppose.

Try hooking up the USB-C to DP monitor only and then try to run it in clamshell mode with just that one attached, nothing on the regular DisplayPort. I think that may be where your problem lies.
1 at a time, no matter which one or which cable, works fine. It's only when driving both. Using them scaled the screens wouldn't even turn on (in clamshell). At least at default resolution they display, but lock up and beach ball. I've even tried 1 attached to dock and 1 directly to MBP, same thing, unusable. I can't try both directly to the MBP right now since I don't have 2 DP->USB-C cables with me.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Even if CalDigit does not address the 85/87W power delivery issue with TS3 Plus, they will be addressing some 16" MBP compatibility issues with a future firmware update. I'd expect that around early December.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Here’s an update for you all.
CalDigit looked at my System Report and “couldn’t duplicate the issue in the lab.” I replied with the exact machine specs (which they’d see anyway) just to make sure they were testing it on the correct graphics config. They are sending me one of their USB-C adapters to try to see if that helps. They also asked me to try with 2 screens and no dock, which has to wait until Monday (monitors are at my office).

They were very quick to respond and are helpful so far. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Their support staff has been great for 10+ years. Worked with them closely when the facility I was with was using HDPro’s almost exclusively. Had they not dropped support for them around 10.8/10.9 I would recommend them over almost anything else on the market.

They have a tendency to have great products available for the current OS at release and fail to update for future OS support. I am REALLY hoping this TS3 Plus firmware update is a change from that past tendency. They make (or source with great packaging) some fantastic stuff.

Reactions: Jayderek

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Here’s an update for you all.
CalDigit looked at my System Report and “couldn’t duplicate the issue in the lab.” I replied with the exact machine specs (which they’d see anyway) just to make sure they were testing it on the correct graphics config. They are sending me one of their USB-C adapters to try to see if that helps. They also asked me to try with 2 screens and no dock, which has to wait until Monday (monitors are at my office).

They were very quick to respond and are helpful so far. Hopefully this gets sorted out.
Let us know what you find out. I wonder what is so special about their usbc adapter?

w00fz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
So glad I’m not alone with this.

Although I don’t use clamshell mode, I do use the MBP16 as secondary monitor on a stand and dealing with your exact same issues. Here is my setup:
  1. MBP16, lid open, on a stand
  2. CalDigit TS3+ via USB-C (cable from CalDigit)
  3. Power through TS3+
  4. DisplayPort from TS3+ to my external LG 4K 27UD68-P
This has been my setup for the past year with the mid 2018 MBP15 and haven’t had any problems with it.
Now, however, with the MBP16, if it enters sleep mode it’s the end. Monitor seems to go to sleep and then something tries to wake it up, then tries to go to sleep again.

Does this in loop and at this point if I try directly waking it up, nothing works.
What’s odd is that even if I completely unplug the TS3+, at this point is too late. Touchbar is on but I can’t do anything to wake the MBP up, forcing me to hard-reboot.
I tried having the MBP sleeping and then plug in the TS3+. This worked, the monitors both came up. It seems to be only related to going to sleep.
I tried messing around with power energy settings in Catalina (put hd to sleep, Power Nap, etc), nothing seems to make a difference.
This seems to be a driver issue of either the TS3+ or Catalina.

Note: I haven’t tried DisplayPort directly on MBP, I don’t have a dongle for it and wasn’t really planning into getting one.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Although I don’t use clamshell mode, I do use the MBP16 as secondary monitor on a stand and dealing with your exact same issues. Here is my setup:
  3. Power through TS3+
This has been my setup for the past year with the mid 2018 MBP15 and haven’t had any problems with it.
Now, however, with the MBP16, if it enters sleep mode it’s the end. Monitor seems to go to sleep and then something tries to wake it up, then tries to go to sleep again.
I have this problem with a 2018 13" MBP but with the LG 24UD58 (24") display. Display wake and sleep works fine if I connect the display through the TS3+ using USB-C to HDMI, however. I think this is an LG display problem, but I should take the computer and the dock to work and test with some of the Dell displays we have there.
This has been an issue for me even in Mojave so it's not Catalina causing it either.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I am having a similar issue (see recent thread); when my monitors sleep in clamshell mode, they sleep until I restart my system. When this happens, I can open the lid on my computer and the internal display works fine. I can restart my computer and all will be fine until the external displays sleep. This happens with two monitors being driven by the TS3 + and two driven directly by the macbook Pro. I am going to take the ts3+ out of the system and then test again.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I can confirm that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the TS3+ in my setup. I removed the TS3+ from my system and drove my external monitors directly from the USB C ports on the MacBook Pro, and the exact same thing happened; when I put the monitors to sleep, they would not wake up without resetting my system. Clearly, others here may be having a different problem compared to mine, but it seems we are closing in on a root cause.

I will probably call Apple and report this later today.

Joe

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I can confirm that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the TS3+ in my setup. I removed the TS3+ from my system and drove my external monitors directly from the USB C ports on the MacBook Pro, and the exact same thing happened; when I put the monitors to sleep, they would not wake up without resetting my system. Clearly, others here may be having a different problem compared to mine, but it seems we are closing in on a root cause.

I will probably call Apple and report this later today.

Joe

Had this happen to me today with only one monitor connected directly to my MacBook Pro. The monitor is a 4K Dell. Hmm

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I resolved my problem:

Go to settings, energy saver, and disable automatic graphics switching for both battery and power adapter modes.

Shut down your system and then restart.

Put your displays to sleep by assigning a hot corner to display sleep.

After they sleep, move your mouse, and your monitors should turn back on.

Mine did anyway. :)

On Edit: I also selected "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when power is off".

Joe

Last edited:

w00fz

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2019
I resolved my problem:

Go to settings, energy saver, and disable automatic graphics switching for both battery and power adapter modes.

Shut down your system and then restart.

Put your displays to sleep by assigning a hot corner to display sleep.

After they sleep, move your mouse, and your monitors should turn back on.

Mine did anyway. :)

On Edit: I also selected "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when power is off".

Joe

This doesn't work.

Also, 10.15.1 is out, no mention of the issue but of course I tried and still no luck.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007

3. Power through TS3+

Does this in loop and at this point if I try directly waking it up, nothing works.
What’s odd is that even if I completely unplug the TS3+, at this point is too late. Touchbar is on but I can’t do anything to wake the MBP up, forcing me to hard-reboot.
I tried having the MBP sleeping and then plug in the TS3+. This worked, the monitors both came up. It seems to be only related to going to sleep.
I tried messing around with power energy settings in Catalina (put hd to sleep, Power Nap, etc), nothing seems to make a difference.
This seems to be a driver issue of either the TS3+ or Catalina.

Note: I haven’t tried DisplayPort directly on MBP, I don’t have a dongle for it and wasn’t really planning into getting one.

What is the length of your CalDigit cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.