Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vebruce123

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2014
I don't know much about video editing. What would you want to see exactly? Exporting a 4k video? I tried that to compare the 13" to the i7 16", but it wasn't a great test because Adobe Premiere didn't really use the CPU much for that.
u should upgrade your pr up to 2020 version ,it's optimismed for metal which is good for video editing as apple mentioned

gxxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
u should upgrade your pr up to 2020 version ,it's optimismed for metal which is good for video editing as apple mentioned

Pretty sure I was using the newest version, considering I only got the machine on Nov 25th and then installed the Adobe apps.
Also, as I understand it, Premiere using Metal is actually worse for testing the i7 against the i9 since it will rely on graphics more. In my test, cpu usage was around 25% most of the time while exporting.

vebruce123

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2014
Pretty sure I was using the newest version, considering I only got the machine on Nov 25th and then installed the Adobe apps.
Also, as I understand it, Premiere using Metal is actually worse for testing the i7 against the i9 since it will rely on graphics more. In my test, cpu usage was around 25% most of the time while exporting.
so up to now, u think i9 version is a good deal compare to i7 for performance and thermal wise ?

gxxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
so up to now, u think i9 version is a good deal compare to i7 for performance and thermal wise ?

Not exactly. It's a little bit more performance for a little bit more money. I think it's worth it to me. But the i7 isn't bad either. As far as the thermal testing went, I don't have a conclusion yet. The i7 was weird for a while, but yesterday, it was fine. Might still have been doing some stuff in the background.

vebruce123

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2014
Not exactly. It's a little bit more performance for a little bit more money. I think it's worth it to me. But the i7 isn't bad either. As far as the thermal testing went, I don't have a conclusion yet. The i7 was weird for a while, but yesterday, it was fine. Might still have been doing some stuff in the background.
cool thing, fingers crossed

DRuser

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017
Not exactly. It's a little bit more performance for a little bit more money. I think it's worth it to me. But the i7 isn't bad either. As far as the thermal testing went, I don't have a conclusion yet.

Can you say something about the fan noise? Is it really that bad? Has the noise been different on the two machines when doing your test with the RAW files?

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019

Congrats on your newly arrived i9! Do you use your macbooks with external monitor? If so, did you notice any thermal and fan differences between the two?

gxxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
Congrats on your newly arrived i9! Do you use your macbooks with external monitor? If so, did you notice any thermal and fan differences between the two?

Thank you.
No, I usually don‘t. All I have is an old Full-HD screen that I could plug in (if I find the right cables and adapters, not sure I have those). Would that even be enough to stress test these machines?
[automerge]1575481989[/automerge]
Can you say something about the fan noise? Is it really that bad? Has the noise been different on the two machines when doing your test with the RAW files?

Well, I didn‘t focus on that aspect, so I don‘t have any details. I did notice that the i9 spun up the fans before the i7 did. Noise wise I think they were the same, but they were working right next to each other, so it‘s hard to tell.

“Really that bad“ depends on your expectations, I guess. I didn‘t notice anything I hadn‘t been expecting. They‘re not quiet when doing Some heavy lifting, but they‘re laptops.

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Thank you.
No, I usually don‘t. All I have is an old Full-HD screen that I could plug in (if I find the right cables and adapters, not sure I have those). Would that even be enough to stress test these machines?

My base i7 is quite loud and hot when connected to a QHD monitor, even in clamshell mode and on minimal workload. Other users are reporting idle fan speeds in Macs Fan Control when connected to external displays, even 4k and 5k. Would be great if you could check yours. I'm wondering if the i9/5500 is cooler and more silent.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I'm one of the lucky ones - no issues with external monitor as reported earlier.
Just connected to 4k monitor to test is again - no fan nor excessive temp raise (approx +10/15 deg C)
Will keep it like this for the next 30 mins while reviewing web doing some light stuff and report back but do not expect any problems.
What do you use to connect to external monitor? Maybe this is a problem.
I have old usb-c dock I used with my 2016 macbook - it didn't work at all with MBP 16.
I've purchased apple AV dongle and it it working really great.

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
I'm one of the lucky ones - no issues with external monitor as reported earlier.
Just connected to 4k monitor to test is again - no fan nor excessive temp raise (approx +10/15 deg C)
Will keep it like this for the next 30 mins while reviewing web doing some light stuff and report back but do not expect any problems.
What do you use to connect to external monitor? Maybe this is a problem.
I have old usb-c dock I used with my 2016 macbook - it didn't work at all with MBP 16.
I've purchased apple AV dongle and it it working really great.

I use Displayport with Displayport to USB adapter for my screen but I also managed to try LG Ultrafine 5K with USB-C connection and a couple other USB-C displays with more or less the same results. Even on idle I can't get min fan speed and on some configs fans rpm are constantly growing and closing the lid does not help. Only after disconnecting the display the fans quickly slow down. Tried with the fresh macOS install and SMC reset to no difference.

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
So here is the result, same as before - fans minimum after 30mins browsing. Temp is higher this time - I'm using different account so maybe some initial indexing - I see photos process constantly.
Overall ok good for me.
What is fans level on your machine while idle (with monitor) ?

Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 19.47.15.png

EDIT
I am using HDMI connection which supposed to be more taxing than display port. Not sure why you have such problems.

Last edited:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
So here is the result, same as before - fans minimum after 30mins browsing. Temp is higher this time - I'm using different account so maybe some initial indexing - I see photos process constantly.
Overall ok good for me.

View attachment 880777
what is the load on the CPU here? sorry i can't tell from the picture

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
screenshot taken now - so few minutes later than the previous one with temperatures
graphs shows the history so you can see the load is more or less stable over time.

Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 20.03.29.png

EDIT
External monitor is mostly taxing GPU (memory) - CPU is not used really (have just safari opened with few tabs)

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
Overall ok good for me.

View attachment 880777

Mine is the same as yours – min fan rpms are 1836 and 1700 respectively, but I can never see it while connected to an external monitor, no matter the resolution, even on idle. What config do you have?

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
i9 2.4, 5500m 8GB, 2T SSD, 32GB RAM

But honestly I see no reason why i7 should be noisier while idle

EDIT
What is your environment temp? That is the only reason coming to my mind that would force fans to ramp-up

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
i9 2.4, 5500m 8GB, 2T SSD, 32GB RAM

But honestly I see no reason why i7 should be noisier while idle

EDIT
What is your environment temp? That is the only reason coming to my mind that would force fans to ramp-up

It's around 25 ℃. Does your graph say that your graphics processor is almost idling and more than half of the 8 Gb graphics memory is used?

gxxr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2019
I just ran my RAW test from yesterday again after updating to the newest LR classic even on the 13" (and rebooting it this time before the test)

13": 11 min 4 sec (avg. clock speed 3.5)
16" i7: 2 min 47 sec (avg. clock speed 3.5)
16" i9: 2 min 26 sec (avg. clock speed 3.09)

Concerning the fans: This time they came on at about the same time. Maybe the i9's kicked in a little earlier, but not much. Noise wise, they're the same. I lifted each of them to my ears in turn, a couple of times, and I couldn't tell a difference. When they are running at max power, they are significantly louder than the 13". But I find the noise acceptable.

I also managed to plug in my external monitor. Neither machine spun up the fans in clamshell mode. But as I said, I only have a FHD display, that might not put enough stress on the laptop.

Reactions: rMBP2013 and filmak

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
It's 19 deg C here so 6 deg difference. It may be enough to trigger fan.. not sure.
Yes - memory GPU idle, memory more than 50%.
My photos are still syncing so not sure if memory is taken by external monitor or by sync process.
Over time I see 100% GPU memory used constantly doing photos syncing (1,3 TB of photos) ..

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I just ran my RAW test from yesterday again after updating to the newest LR classic even on the 13" (and rebooting it this time before the test)

13": 11 min 4 sec (avg. clock speed 3.5)
16" i7: 2 min 47 sec (avg. clock speed 3.5)
16" i9: 2 min 26 sec (avg. clock speed 3.09)

Concerning the fans: This time they came on at about the same time. Maybe the i9's kicked in a little earlier, but not much. Noise wise, they're the same. I lifted each of them to my ears in turn, a couple of times, and I couldn't tell a difference. When they are running at max power, they are significantly louder than the 13". But I find the noise acceptable.

I also managed to plug in my external monitor. Neither machine spun up the fans in clamshell mode. But as I said, I only have a FHD display, that might not put enough stress on the laptop.
Thanks for sharing.
Did you notice any significant difference between CPU/GPU temps during test?
[automerge]1575487918[/automerge]
What's this tool called?
istat menus

Reactions: gxxr

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
It's 19 deg C here so 6 deg difference. It may be enough to trigger fan.. not sure.
Yes - memory GPU idle, memory more than 50%.
My photos are still syncing so not sure if memory is taken by external monitor or by sync process.
Over time I see 100% GPU memory used constantly doing photos syncing (1,3 TB of photos) ..

Seems to me it could be some software or hardware bug with my unit after all. Probably will try with another config, I was thinking about i9 2,3. Have you seen any benchmarks comparing it to a 2,4 in terms of temps and fan speed? My guess is 2,3 is running lower frequency so it should be cooler, but on the other hand 2,4 are higher binned, so tough to tell without actual data.

qery

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2019
No, the CPUs both came up to ~95°C and stayed there. I only had intel power gadget, so that's all I know.

Thanks, that's useful. Should've had that before testing ;)

Can you compare the i7 and i9 temps on idle or low/moderate workload?

Reactions: filmak

DRuser

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2017

Thank you. That was very helpful.

May I ask you to do this test again while running Turbo Boost Switcher. This tool disables the turbo boost feature of your CPU which makes it run with a lot less power consumption. Hence temps are lower and fans shouldn't run as fast. Download link (there is a free version available):

http://tbswitcher.rugarciap.com/

Would also be interesting to see how the i7/i9 compare performance wise while turbo is switched off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.