Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Great White North
I keep hearing how wonderful and necessary apps like 1Password/Dashlane/LastPass are. I'm not really understanding what they do that I don't get from the Keychain Access service built in to MacOS and iOS. Can anyone explain?

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Great White North
If you need passwords outside of the Apple ecosystem (like Android, Windows, Chrome, etc) You will need something cross platform.

Plus Keychain is passwords-only and some people want to store other things (software keys, Socai Security, etc).
Ok got it, that makes sense. Thanks.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Another benefit is easily being able to export your passwords/data. 1Password provides export tools, but iCloud Keychain or Safari does not. Hopefully they add this feature at some point.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Plus Keychain is passwords-only and some people want to store other things (software keys, Socai Security, etc).
I use Secure Notes for that in Keychain and it meets my meager needs.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 10.54.42 AM.png

iPhonagain

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Indy
I've been using 1Password for about 8 years now and love it.
If you need the extra features it provides you'll be happy, but if you just need what Keychain provides just stick with it.

Reactions: macintoshmac

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
1Password also supports TOTP codes, makes your online presence a lot more secure and it integrates well across laptop phone and tablet. No more lost accounts when you forget to transfer your 2FA to your new phone ;)

Reactions: ignatius345

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
1Password also supports TOTP codes, makes your online presence a lot more secure and it integrates well across laptop phone and tablet. No more lost accounts when you forget to transfer your 2FA to your new phone ;)

Access to OTP codes is huge for me. I also like how I can organize things into different categories (WiFi router passwords, credit cards, etc).

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I want to have my passwords stored locally, on my drive. 1Password does that real well.
Keychain Access also stores passwords locally. They get synced (if you have it configured to via iCloud) but they're also available without an internet connection.
[automerge]1577341354[/automerge]
One more 1Password feature I'll throw in there: shared vaults. I keep one "household" vault that has logins for our streaming services, ISP, utilites, shared stuff like that. Then my wife and I each have our own separate vaults with our own stuff.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Yes, the vaults are brilliant! I've also noticed that more and more employers utilise 1Password and we have vaults with them. Also good to keep your passwords separate to have you private ones against their account.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Another benefit of 1Password is that I can view saved passwords on my Apple Watch, which saves me the hassle of fishing out my phone for when I want the password to an account on my work computer. Can’t do so for passwords stored in iCloud Keychain.

Reactions: Ntombi and annk

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Keychain doesn’t work in Firefox. Also, there’s no keychain app on iOS so I don’t know how the posters above are accessing their secure notes on their phones.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
Secure Notes in the Notes app is a good replacement for the Keychain secure notes. The encryption seem to be the same, and they are available on iOS easily.

I use the Keychain for login passwords and still currently using 1Password for extensive information about credit cards for example. I'm experimenting with using Notes app Secure Notes for this. The only difficulty I have come across so far is the ease of copying a number from the Notes app. It can be done of course, but involves more steps that 1Password.

Reactions: adrianlondon

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I used to have passwords that I could remember but jumbled up some numerals and symbols here and there. Now, I have been using 1Password for some time, and I utilise really large passwords and TOTP for where it is supported. Moreover, I am able to access my passwords on my Android device as well, so that is a plus, even though I do not use the Android device that way wherein I would need access to my passwords. But, seeing as there are now passwords to almost all websites one frequents, it is a godsend to have them synced and ready, whichever device I pick.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.