Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirbyfreeman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Curious yalls opinions; I have (2) of the 1st Generation 8GB Original iPhone. One has been used but is signed by Woz on the back, however the other has never been opened & had the pleasure of Steve Jobs sign it one weekend he was visiting Miami & was on campus in Coral Gables. That one has never been opened. I’d be interested in selling these to a person that is a collector as they’ve been very special to me. However I could use the $ to start a college fund for my 2 year old daughter. What do you guys think? Is there a place to post these type things to make the true collectors aware that it’s out there & I’m willing to possibly part ways with it for the right price?

ip18

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
United Kingdom
Sealed iPhones go for a lot on eBay. If you can verify the signatures, you could probably get some money by selling them on eBay. I don’t think anyone but a collector will buy something like this, so eBay would be a great place to sell.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Just eBay them.
Or wait until your 2 year old daughter is about college age before eBaying them - they'll almost certainly be worth much more then.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
eBay is the craigslist of auctions. People go there to get low price deals. If you want real money you should hire a luxury items auction house.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
If you have an original iPhone in box signed by Steve Jobs..... you could honestly be looking at a million dollars, not even joking. One of the most important products in history signed by Steve.. it's major.

I'd suggest you contact private auction places that handle listings in the hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions. This isn't the sort of thing you throw on ebay.

tradeya

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
It's not worth nearly that much. I have an unopened 1st Gen iPhone 4 GB in factory sealed plastic. It's just not signed by Steve Jobs. The 4GB is rarer and more desirable than the 8 GB as you may know. Steve Job's autograph adds some value, but, not nearly as much as you're indicating IMHO

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's not worth nearly that much. I have an unopened 1st Gen iPhone 4 GB in factory sealed plastic. It's just not signed by Steve Jobs. The 4GB is rarer and more desirable than the 8 GB as you may know. Steve Job's autograph adds some value, but, not nearly as much as you're indicating IMHO

Well you would say that, since you want to buy it haha - This is for sure worth a million to the right collector. I mean god damn there are companies selling gold iPhone 11 Pro's for over 100 grand today. Rich people are buying those, this is a collectors piece like no other.

If there are buyers willing to shell out 100K on modern iPhones that are worth nothing next year they for sure will shell out a million for a priceless piece of history.

If Steve Jobs was still alive it wouldn't be worth nearly as much. The iPhone sold by Woz won't be worth even $5,000 imo but the Steve Jobs signed one, for sure big money.

Also I don't know why you would say the 4GB model is more desirable. The 4GB and 8GB models were released on the same day, sure the 4GB was discontinued sooner but to me that doesn't matter. As-long as I was getting either the 4 or 8 I'd be ecstatic as those are both first produced models so to speak.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Not a million. Even a signed *APPLE 1* doesn't sell for that. Maybe $10,000, but definitely not much more than that.

An Apple-1 sold for $815,000 in a charity auction back in 2015. Admittedly charity pushed the bids higher. But that's still a lot for a computer hardly anyone today knows exists. Collectors like to have items that are rare but are well known. Famous paintings that everyone is aware of go for a lot more money than paintings that are just as important to the art world but not known by the general public. Same with cars, gaming stuff, baseball stuff.

So although the Apple I is special to us (as Mac/Apple fans). To the general public, it means nothing. The iPhone is hugely hugely iconic and known by almost every person on this planet. That to collectors is important. Combined with Steve Jobs signature .. need I remind you he's not signing anything anymore .. it's huge.

For example, Steve's 2000 BMW Z8 recently went for $329.5K at auction. A car that isn't special and that he owned only for 2 years and doesn't appear to have driven (few miles on it). And he did not even sign his name on it.

Now I know he didn't own this iPhone but the chances that another sealed iPhone signed by Steve Jobs exists is pretty tiny.

Also I'm surprised you think it would only fetch $10,000. Someone paid $47,775 at auction just to get a copy of MacWorld signed by Steve Jobs.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
That is issue #1 of MacWorld. With a photo showing it being signed. Is there actual proof that this signature is real?

Well I mean, if it can be verified of course. My opinion on its worth is under the strongest circumstances that the signature can be fully verified. A picture of Steve signing it combined with an autograph expert verifying the signatures authenticity would be best case scenario in my opinion.

A 1988 floppy disk with Steve's autograph across the front in black felt ink sold for a whopping $84,000 at auction recently. And I doubt there was a photo showing him signing that.

Here is a link to the Floppy, article is from December 8th 2019, quite recent! https://www.cnet.com/news/steve-jobs-signature-on-a-floppy-disk-sells-for-84000/

Reactions: justint1989
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.