Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Just downloaded the gold master for El Capitan and tried to run the Continuity Tool in my post above and no go. Any ideas?
Code:
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware...             OK

Verifying Bluetooth version...          /Users/mstewart/Downloads/Continuity-Activation-Tool-master/Continuity Activation Tool.app/Contents/Resources/contitool.sh: line 357: [: 6
6: integer expression expected
NOT OK. Your hardware doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0, necessary for Continuity Current LMP Version=6
6, expected 6. Aborting.

Press any key to go back to the main menu...

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
Uh-oh...This is exactly why I came here today. Wanted to see if the Continuity Tool is working in El Capitan. Any updates?

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Just downloaded the gold master for El Capitan and tried to run the Continuity Tool in my post above and no go. Any ideas?
Code:
Verifying Wi-Fi hardware...             OK

Verifying Bluetooth version...          /Users/mstewart/Downloads/Continuity-Activation-Tool-master/Continuity Activation Tool.app/Contents/Resources/contitool.sh: line 357: [: 6
6: integer expression expected
NOT OK. Your hardware doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0, necessary for Continuity Current LMP Version=6
6, expected 6. Aborting.

Press any key to go back to the main menu...
That's what I've been getting. I know the internal BT card works. Which CAT do I need to use? I grabbed one from one of the links but when I right click "get info" it says the app is v2.0. I've been trying to find v2.1 beta.

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
you need 2.0.1 i dont think there is a 2.1 beta.
Cloudpaird is not modified during the CAT proccess so you can do it before or after. I changed mine after if that matters, but make sure you SIP is off when you try to move the file or SIP will not allow it to modify the system directory.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
My wifi just decided to break today. Like I have the X on the wifi icon and the system isn't recognizing the card. BT works fine and it works in the restore partition just fine. I'm currently restoring to a Time Machine Backup from this AM...hopefully that fixes it! (Running latest El Capitan)

noX1609

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2015
Hello everybody,

im new to this topic and after reading many oages of this thread i'm confused^^

I currently have a Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011 and i want to change the Card so i get bluetooth 4.0 with all it's advantages.

So is there any tutorial i can follow to get this working on OSX El Capitan?
And which card do i need?

Thanks in advice for your help!

bigdog5142

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MI
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you've replaced your network card in your MacBook as prescribed all over this thread...

REMOVE it and put in the old card if you have to give your computer to Apple for a repair!

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (early 2011) that I put the new card in. Unfortunately it ended up blowing the video card and the motherboard needed to be replaced. So I took it into the Apple Store, saw a genius and they told me it would be repaired for free under the extended warranty that Apple had put on the defective video cards. Unfortunately, their diagnostic software said the wifi card was "bad", so they took out my newer card and replaced it with the old edition! I'm going to try to call them and see if they'll send me a replacement card since I didn't authorize that repair...but I'm not holding my breath. Probably picking up a new one on eBay.

Maybe my mistake will help someone else out. I ALMOST put the older card back in...but thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Apparently it was! :(:mad:

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014

If you've replaced your network card in your MacBook as prescribed all over this thread...

REMOVE it and put in the old card if you have to give your computer to Apple for a repair!

I have a 15" MacBook Pro (early 2011) that I put the new card in. Unfortunately it ended up blowing the video card and the motherboard needed to be replaced. So I took it into the Apple Store, saw a genius and they told me it would be repaired for free under the extended warranty that Apple had put on the defective video cards. Unfortunately, their diagnostic software said the wifi card was "bad", so they took out my newer card and replaced it with the old edition! I'm going to try to call them and see if they'll send me a replacement card since I didn't authorize that repair...but I'm not holding my breath. Probably picking up a new one on eBay.

Maybe my mistake will help someone else out. I ALMOST put the older card back in...but thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Apparently it was! :(:mad:
Did you take it to an Apple Store or an authorized service center?

I took mine to an authorized service center specifically for that reason and was fixed under warranty. They don't send it to Apple. Apple sends them the parts and it gets fixed in-house.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
This exact same thing happened to me. I spoke with the manager at the store, and while they were not able to replace the card, after explaining the situation, they agreed to compensate me for the cost to replace the card I lost. We agreed that $50 was fair. In my case, I was also making a purchase that day, so they just discounted my purchase by $50. Annoying it happened, but the solution they offered me was perfectly reasonable. Can't hurt to ask, though if you've already signed for the repair you might be beat. I brought it to their attention as soon as I saw the piece of paper that showed what was replaced, and before I signed for it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
OK, so here is what I understand:

58: FCC
59: ETSI
62: ROW

What about the missing numbers? (SIN, RUS, etc. ?)

Are there pictures of the genuine cards?

MacBookJames

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2016
Can anybody tell me if I install the card:

Does the system recognise the card at all without running the activation tool? Is the tool only required for handoff or for the card to be recognised at all?

If it is recognised, but I can't use handoff should it continue to work as a bluetooth 3.0 with future versions of :apple:OSX?

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can anybody tell me if I install the card:

Does the system recognise the card at all without running the activation tool? Is the tool only required for handoff or for the card to be recognised at all?

If it is recognised, but I can't use handoff should it continue to work as a bluetooth 3.0 with future versions of :apple:OSX?

Card will work regardless. Tool is used simply to activate the Handoff/Continuity features.

MacBookJames

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2016
Thanks for your help SideStepSociety

I'm now looking for some more advice.

I've installed the new wireless card. Wifi it working no problem.

However when I try to connect my phone via Bluetooth it's not working. I've run the continuity tool - that didn't help - now I've it back to see if that would do it. No cookie.

When I try to pair my iPhone they see each other - they pair, then disconnect straight away. If I try to reconnect my iPhone says
Connection Unsuccessful
LAPTOP NAME is not supposed.
The only option i have is to forget the device.

I can however connect to it as a personal hotspot?!

I've tried with other iPhone to eliminate that and the problem persists. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for your help SideStepSociety

I'm now looking for some more advice.

I've installed the new wireless card. Wifi it working no problem.

However when I try to connect my phone via Bluetooth it's not working. I've run the continuity tool - that didn't help - now I've it back to see if that would do it. No cookie.

When I try to pair my iPhone they see each other - they pair, then disconnect straight away. If I try to reconnect my iPhone says
Connection Unsuccessful
LAPTOP NAME is not supposed.
The only option i have is to forget the device.

I can however connect to it as a personal hotspot?!

I've tried with other iPhone to eliminate that and the problem persists. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

There's no need to actually pair the devices together in the Bluetooth menu unless you want to make use of Bluetooth tethering.

All the Handoff/Continuity features are configured automatically. As long as you've enabled it on both devices and signed into the same iCloud account on both, you are not required to connect the two devices yourself.

Da_Hollow

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2016
Thanks guys, finally I know how to do it right. Below is my steps:-

1) open Terminal type sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
2) reboot your MBP
3) your wifi will not be working at this moment, replace the file IO80211Family.kext in Go>Computer>System>Library>Extension
4) open Terminal type as below:-
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
sudo chmod -R 644 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
5) now reboot your MBP again.
6) now you will see System Preferences>General> will have handoff enable option
7) open Terminal type kextstat | grep AirPort

Now you will see
kextstat | grep AirPort
130 0 0xffffff7f82c62000 0x5df000 0x5df000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360 (900.14.2) <129 47 46 12 7 6 5 4 3 1>
133 0 0xffffff7f83241000 0x1f3000 0x1f3000 com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4331 (800.20.24) <129 46 12 7 5 4 3 1>

You're DONE :) Cheers.

I know I'm late to the party, but I tried to follow this, but after step one and the reboot, it doesn't let me do anything, the wifi isn't disabled, still active and even when I try to manually place the .kext file in it's proper place, OSX say's I can not mod important files. Its like I am locked out or not running admin privileges, but I have root privileges. Running El Capitan on a late 2011 MBP 15. Yes, I replaced the Airdrop/Bluetooth board with the correct one (with the "C"). I'm a novice when it comes to Macs so please bear with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.