Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tofusamurai

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
I have 2 sets of late 2015 iMacs with the same defect. I suspect that the diffuser or polorizer of the display panel has degraded around the edges possibly due to the chemical from the adhesive tapes of the back panel. Someone has done a tear down of a 5K display panel on youtube and you can see those parts after 4:35.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Come to local electronic shop and found this pink edge on new 2019 iMac.

5DFD4D62-6717-4416-ABFC-CA85E2AD36FD.jpeg

Jcruz1993

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
My Macbook Pro 2016 15 inch has this problem as well. How should I fix this???

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 552

Lana212

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2019
Anyone come up with an answer for this? I have exactly the same problem on a 2015 imac 27"

Paul Nino Cortez

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
I have the same problem. I suggest we all report this to Apple support so they can come up with the necessary recall for the display.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
I had my 2015 27" screen replaced last year for this problem, just inside the apple care warranty. Tech came to my house to do it. Now it's back again and getting worse.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
They are going to replace my screen again, but also the logic board too which they didn't do last time, Oct 2018, madness, last time tech had to drive 5 hours to do it lol.

Anyone had screen replaced twice? will it happen again?

Last edited:

mlibrescu

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
California
I had my 2015 27" screen replaced last year for this problem, just inside the apple care warranty. Tech came to my house to do it. Now it's back again and getting worse.
My machine isn’t under warranty. It’s getting worse. Now, in addition to pink edges, I’m getting ghost images of app windows around the edges. I’ll call Apple this week but I’m not going to get my hopes up.

It seems that Tim Apple is too busy championing political causes and hanging out with movie stars at the Golden Globes to worry about making sure Apple’s products work properly. Steve Jobs wouldn’t have put up with this.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
My screen was replaced again today, 1st time Oct 2108, only rang about it 3 days ago. Got to love Apple service. Apple care 3 year warranty ran out Feb 2019 so machine is 4 years old. Pink edge all gone again for now.

Henri Tulcan

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
My screen was replaced again today, 1st time Oct 2108, only rang about it 3 days ago. Got to love Apple service. Apple care 3 year warranty ran out Feb 2019 so machine is 4 years old. Pink edge all gone again for now.
what was the cost of the change?
is there any replacement program?

burakuysaler

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2020
I have 2015 iMac. I realized the same purple line along the edges and shutdown the machine, then looked through the edges with a strong light. As you see in the photo Apple had used a red glue to bring screen and the alu body together. This may be the reason why we see a purple light around the edges, it doesn't bother me though. If they had used black resin then on a white screen a black bar could appear, with a white resin then white bar could appear around the edges on a black screen. So red choice may be on purpose. Moreover I 'm not sure if its a glue, it may be something else. If its a glue then they could use it away from the edges and color would not be reflected to the screen that much.

imac.jpg

Reactions: Polochamps

Antonio Landi

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
It's true, I checked it too. So this is not a monitor lighting problem. Of course they could use a transparent material, not red!

Antonio Landi

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
Apple replied: "In the grand scheme of things, that is still a very small amount of users. Millions of these machines were sold and if it was a wide spread issue Apple would have addressed it with a service program. Sorry you are experiencing the issue, however as directed you should take it to your local AASP to be professionally diagnosed".

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Well i had the same problem on my first replacement screen after about a year, so its not just original iMac screens, replacements can develop it too.

Reactions: fekimoki

Antonio Landi

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
Well i had the same problem on my first replacement screen after about a year, so its not just original iMac screens, replacements can develop it too.
.... because the replacement is always an LG screen that has this problem (it seems for a red glue that melts with the heat)

efi123

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I have the same issue on my iMac 5k (late 2015) .. contacted a local authorised repair shop and they asked for €700 because my machine was out of warranty. They said that this is a problem that is not so common thus no free repair program from Apple.
Not so common, huh! I don't think so. :(

I'm starting to get more and more frustrated with Apple lately.

And yeah.. I've switched to an Android phone, stupid Apple.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I think LG has had this issue before. I believe they supplied the panels for the old 23" Cinema Display, which was notorious for pink hue issues as well.

The only screen problems I've seen on the 2015 iMacs is the image retention. Some yellowing too, but nothing major like on the 2009-11 iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.