Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJM_Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
I am looking at upgrading from my good old trusty MBP.

The 27" iMac from a few years ago look ideal price-point wise for me.

But I am having trouble determining whether the top spec 2015 model or a good 2017 would be best for me. I've read some different measures about how much GPU the screen itself pulls, and whether that would cause me trouble in my work.

I would be using the iMac for mostly the following:
• Lightroom
• GIMP
• Luminar 4
• Video Editing (perhaps Da Vinci Resolve)... in 1080p and in 4k
• Normal activities, perhaps some light casual gaming here and there.

The general question I have regarding specs is as follows: *note, the bold are the exact two computers I am looking at for around the same price, and for which the question is posed, I do realize there are alternatives, and would also be willing to hear about those alternatives if they would also be useful to me.

iMac 2015 27"iMac 2017 27"
Processori7 4.0i5 3.8
RAM32GB16GB
GPUM395 2GB (or M395X 4GB)Radeon Pro 8GB
Hard Drive500 GB SSD2GB Fusion Drive

So, if these two computers were the same price. Which one would you jump on? Is there anything that is missing in either one? I am particular curious about the GPU comparison and the difference not having an SSD would be, I have only used SSD in the last years, and I am uncertain how the Fusion Drive would compare, even given the more updated model.

Thanks guys!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get the 2017.
It has USBc/thunderbolt3 ports.
That's a BIG "jump forward".

One other thing...
Don't buy ANY iMac UNLESS it comes with an SSD pre-installed!
Even a 256gb or 512gb SSD.
Add more external storage as required.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
No question 2017--just because of connectivity at TB3 at a minimum.

i tested a 2017 (3.4) in store with my test audio projects (different workload) and I felt the generational difference between the intel 7th and 8th (quad core to hexacore) is substantial.

The base model 3.0 2019 iMac is a tough proposition to ignore given the generational improvements, especially if you factor in the frequent deals on them.

My caveat is that you consider a higher-spec 2017 with the upgraded 8gb dGPU, if your workflow benefits from a higher performance graphics card. The higher spec 2017 Radeon Pro cards are definitely better than the base 2019 cards, but you are still stuck with quad core. I bounced back and forth between the 2017 3.8 i5 model vs. the 3.0/3.1 2019 model. Landed on the base model 3.0 mainly because of an insane deal.

If you need more than 32gb RAM, make sure you get the 2TB fusion or all ssd. You should get all ssd anyway, but be prepared to pay. They are not "standard" for some unknown reason in all the big box retailers that discount them and you'll only find fusion drive models on sale. You might get by with a 2TB fusion drive. I am somehow getting by with only mild regret on my fusion drive--but it is by far the weakest link in the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.