Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacHackedLivesMatter

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
East Coast USA
Anyone else get very brief screen flashes in High Sierra? It appears for a brief instant and about half of the screen goes black for a split second and then everything is restored.

Since the laptop is so new, I am really hoping this is a High Sierra bug and not an issue with my laptop.

Edit: I have the resolution set to "More space".
Yes happened
Your Mac performs a diagnostic test --- part of the power-on self test --- each time you boot.
That is what is recorded as a result in your System Information.

That is NOT the same as booting to your Diagnostics test.
Shut your Mac power off.
Start back up, while holding the D key (no other keys, D only)
It will boot to the Diagnostic test, and show you the results, with either no problems found, or it will show you one or more reference codes.
If it doesn't boot to the Diagnostics test, you're doing it wrong. :D

I like to do an NVRAM reset during the boot, then the Diagnostic test.
Your 2017 Mac doesn't have a boot chime, so I would do this:
Shut power off.
Press and release the power button, immediately holding Command-Option-P and R.
Hold for 30-40 seconds (don't release those 4 keys yet!)
Release all keys, and immediately hold the D key. That should do it. I'm pretty sure that you should see the spinning world, then a low-res window indicating that you are booting to the diagnostic test.

This worked as far at the D. But I got a “no issue found” with reference code ADP000

tfd1833

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Update on this. I last posted in early December last year. After talking to Apple Support on the phone for an hour about the problem and running the usual resets, the tech suggested that I try setting up a new user account and using that for a while to see if the problem recurs. I was unenthused, opted to just deal with it for a while in the hopes that a system update would fix the problem. Finally a few weeks ago I pulled the trigger and set up a new account.

The problem is still there. I've noticed that it happens mostly using Chrome/Safari and chromium-based things (like Atom). Momentary flash of jagged white across part of the screen, and then normal. I've turned off hardware acceleration in Chrome, turned off all my Chrome extensions, etc. etc. still happens a few times a day.

I hope someday they will end this.

tomandersen

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
Happens to me on high sierra 10.13.4 on a 15" 2014 retina pro. I am seeing it while using Safari. Every 20 - 90 mins or so.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
My cMP 5,1 sometimes does this after switching it on and working for some time (10.13.4). Sometimes it’s just a short blink but sometimes the screen goes black, comes back with a bit different (slightly warmer) colour scheme (but no artifacts or any problems), goes black again and comes back again with a standart color scheme.
No idea whether it is OS, MacVidCards GPU, or the display...
And it is not possible to predict what will cause this behaviour...

mschmalenbach

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2008
It sure if this is related...

I get randomly flashing left & right border areas on my late 2017 MacBook Pro retina 15 inch when plugged in to an external projector with different screen resolutions & shape (eg 16:9 vs 4:3)

It mostly goes away if using PowerPoint.

See attached photo - those light areas on left & right are flickering randomly and quickly!

EDIT: after running a PPT presentation this flashing goes away under all other apps etc... weird!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 681
Last edited:

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Experiencing weird split second black/white screen glitches when playing videos in Safari on 2017 MBP 15'' on 10.13.4, I have the machine for 2 weeks, so not sure if its driver related or Hardware related thing. Thing is its only happening on videos in Safari an nowhere else.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My cMP 5,1 sometimes does this after switching it on and working for some time (10.13.4). Sometimes it’s just a short blink but sometimes the screen goes black, comes back with a bit different (slightly warmer) colour scheme (but no artifacts or any problems), goes black again and comes back again with a standart color scheme.
No idea whether it is OS, MacVidCards GPU, or the display...
And it is not possible to predict what will cause this behaviour...

It seems logical to me that it’s a video driver Issue in the latest OS. You are running a totally different machine than others here. If it’s any comfort, I also get a strange video artifacting on shutdown. This seems to effect people with AMD / iGPU’s.

During shutdown, my lower right screen quadrant has pixels that move in a Wave-Like motion and it looks like its spelling out (in Properly capitalized Cursive) “Wish

I’ve actually seen this happen before on my Linux PC when the driver/OS didn’t properly set the video Frame Buffer. It was an identical “Wish” anomaly, with a different AMD GPU.

FWIW, Others on this forum have similar if not exactly the same issue, so it’s not likely to be a hardware failure.

Ive even talked to a couple here who also have the “Waving-Wish” with AMD GPU’s.

Last edited:

bp_tec

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
I logged an issue on the apple support community

Here

I have my white point set a little cooler at 7000, so its more noticeable now. There is a pink flash and the screen hue goes warmer. If I drag the slider on the screen color temperature, then it normalises for a little while before creeping to warm hue’s again.

All power management is off, ambient light sensor off, automatic graphic switching off.
Logic board replaced, still have the same issue.

I also get video glitch issues while watching videos online in either safaro or firefox.

Maybe if anyone is having the same issues you can also document it at the apple support comunity thread I created.

Regards;

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Stll happens on my cMP on Mojave PB without Nvidia WD which are not available atm.

tanotify

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2018
I got also the same issue. It's really pitty because I own macbook pro just for 9 days.
Does anyone found key for solving?

bill350

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
Since macOS Mojave, I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro 15-inch 2017: a quick flash only when a video is playing in the middle of the screen during less 0.5 seconds. When playing YouTube, QuickTime, Ads, any program which is using the video feature.
It happens sometimes 3 times for every 4 minutes, sometimes just one or two after 40 min. It's completely random but I've noticed that it was mainly during a video.
I'm waiting for the next Mojave update.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I’m still suffering with this a year later. I reformatted, reset SMC, did a dance. Nothing works. I need to setup an appointment.

kristen1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Thank God i'm not the only one. I have done just about everything; ran a diagnostics, factory reset, tried a different account. I'm so annoyed because I love this laptop but it has given me such issues. I don't know what would happen if I sent it back to Apple, as I have already done that once before due to another hardware issue.

I can't even show the problem to Apple because it's random.

White flashes usually when playing videos (youtube or instagram).

Not threatening but annoying as this laptop is so new and expensive.

bp_tec

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Anyone else get very brief screen flashes in High Sierra? It appears for a brief instant and about half of the screen goes black for a split second and then everything is restored.

Since the laptop is so new, I am really hoping this is a High Sierra bug and not an issue with my laptop.

Edit: I have the resolution set to "More space".

I had this problem for a long time, apple replaced all hardware in my mac book Pro to no avail. After that they upgraded me for free, but I still had the issue. I then requested a full refund on my laptop as I had the issue for 2 years without any resolution..

I decided to film the screen of the mac book while I was using it, this took many hours of patience, but I managed to capture the issue and associated log files in the machine.

What I noticed was the issue would happen after going into a standby mode, then waking up and using for some time, also the screen hue would become warmer, almost a slight pink hue.

After sending all evidence, logs and screen recordings (from external camera, as internal screen recording inhibited the issue), apple finally provided a full refund to me. I no longer buy apple products as I need reliability for my work, so it's custom built Linux systems that I use with solid hardware.

I can only suggest that you setup an external camera to record while you are working, just ensure that you system clock shows seconds as well, and that it can be seen in the video.

Hope this helps you in some way

Regrads

kristen1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
I had this problem for a long time, apple replaced all hardware in my mac book Pro to no avail. After that they upgraded me for free, but I still had the issue. I then requested a full refund on my laptop as I had the issue for 2 years without any resolution..

I decided to film the screen of the mac book while I was using it, this took many hours of patience, but I managed to capture the issue and associated log files in the machine.

What I noticed was the issue would happen after going into a standby mode, then waking up and using for some time, also the screen hue would become warmer, almost a slight pink hue.

After sending all evidence, logs and screen recordings (from external camera, as internal screen recording inhibited the issue), apple finally provided a full refund to me. I no longer buy apple products as I need reliability for my work, so it's custom built Linux systems that I use with solid hardware.

I can only suggest that you setup an external camera to record while you are working, just ensure that you system clock shows seconds as well, and that it can be seen in the video.

Hope this helps you in some way

Regrads

Wow, that's so unfortunate. I've been an apple user for a long time. I previously had the Macbook Air (2010) and decided it was time for an upgrade, never had a single problem with the Macbook Air! Do you think you could put the video evidence online?

Thanks

MacNJeeezz

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
MBP early 2011 15inch i7 2.0GHz .

Screen flashing on Integrated GPU to the point I can't even use it anymore. And sometimes it goes completely black and I have to restart the system. I am now using it 24x7 on discreet GPU otherwise It won't even let me get to the desktop. Starts flashing right after the login screen appears. I am running latest High Sierra. Started without any update or anything when I was running Yosemite 10.10.5

OpusBook

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2019
My screen flashes to green and sometimes other gibberish. I have captured this on video with an external camera and can be watched here ...
I will be contacting Apple about my Macbook Pro 13' (2017) running latest Mohave. Seems like a GPU issue. Hope Apple takes care of it.

2af

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2019
Similar issue, generally noticed during youtube videos or skype calls. Working on getting it recorded. Any progress on the cases with Apple?

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
I just bought a MacBook Pro 2019 13" and I have a similar issue and as others have pointed out, I really think it's related to the computer after it wakes up and in my case I've only noticed in Safari.

I really believe that Safari has some sort of graphical glitch in general that it's only noticeable for some people and in some computers. On my previous laptop (MBP 2011 15") I have a problem that safari wasn't able to show me some B/W images, they were just black.

I usually work with my laptop connected to external monitor, and I use the two screens, the laptop one and the external one… I haven't experience any glitch while working like that. I've only noticed the glitches while working alone on the laptop screen and while I'm on Safari and I think that just in certain webs.

PS/ I would even add that the issue it's just when I'm on battery… but I can be sure 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.