Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
I just bought a MacBook Pro 2019 13" and I have a similar issue and as others have pointed out, I really think it's related to the computer after it wakes up and in my case I've only noticed in Safari.

I have the same issue on the new 13" Touch Bar MBP... a restart usually fixes it... strange.
Will observe this further

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
I recently bought a 2017 13" MBP new and had something similar happen. Took it back to Best Buy immediately and exchanged it for a 2019. I read that some models have had issues with the ribbon cable that connects the display to the motherboard. I didn't want to take my chances.

The reason I singled out the ribbon cable is because the issue sounds like a graphics related issue. I have had graphics cards fail and exhibit similar symptoms, or had HDMI or MDP cables fail and do something similar.

iFixit explains. Starting with the 2016 MacBook Pro, Apple has used a pair of flexible ribbon cables that are pulled tight every time you open the lid on the computer. That may be damaging them over time.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
I was wrong, I thought that the flashes were happening only while using safari —AKA it was upmost app and affected only the Safari window. Today happened to me on a mail app window and while I was connected to power source (I was thinking that perhaps was related to the use of battery).

@Dragonforce I also think that in my case restarting solve the issue.
@ApplesandOranges I'm not sure that it's a hardware problem or a software one.

Definitely it's something to monitor.

lpuerto

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2014
Europe
The reason I singled out the ribbon cable is because the issue sounds like a graphics related issue. I have had graphics cards fail and exhibit similar symptoms, or had HDMI or MDP cables fail and do something similar.

By the way. I'm not saying that it's imposible that this is the cause of the issue, but what happens/ed with that cable is that cable was to short, so at some point while opening the lid the screen turns black.

This case is a microsecond graphical glitch. It could be an error in the graphic card / chip or something related to the software. I really think it's related to the latter one, but I can't tell for sure. The reality is… it's a sneaky error / fault.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.