Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hollywood1117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2019
Hey, everyone! Because of these great Black Friday deals, I’m trying to figure out what would be the best external storage setup for my 2018 Mac Mini. I currently have a 256GB 2018 Mac Mini. I would prefer to have an SSD-based external storage setup, but I’m unsure as to which type of SSD storage would take up the least amount of space on my desk.

I am planning on keeping my SSD connected/attached to my Mac Mini all the time, so I am not going to use it as a portable SSD. I was trying to find some sort of SSD station that would sit on my desk next to my Mac Mini.

Which type of SSD setup do you think would be best suited for this? I’m really just looking for the best form of SSD storage that complements a desk setup as opposed to a portable setup! Thanks again!

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I just got the Samsung T5 one terabyte, in red. Perfect backup solution and also great for plain external storage. Makes any project portable.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I too have a Samsung T5 attached to my 2018 mini and it is great! I have my music and my games on the external drive and there is no noticeable performance issues compared to it and the internal drive. I would highly recommend the Samsung T5. If money is not an issue, you might check out the Samsung X5 (since it is TB3 vs. USB-C).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You might consider a "bare" 2.5" SSD (pick any one you like) in combination with a USB3/SATA docking station.

This way, the SSD can remain "mounted in the dock" most of the time.
But -- if you ever need to connect another drive -- just unmount the SSD, remove it from the dock, and connect the second drive. Very convenient, although it will be more "obtrusive" sitting on the desk as opposed to a "tiny" drive like the t5.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Only downside is that the T5 loves to eject itself and gives errors about bad ejecting

My T5 stays plugged into my mini 100% of the time (basically an external internal drive) and I have never had it auto eject itself once in over a year of owning it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another fan of the T5 and X5 here! Both are excellent and very fast! The T5 in particular is extremely small and portable, perfect for using on trips away from home or back-and-forth between home and office. I tend to use them for that rather than the larger, heavier (albeit faster) Thunderbolt 3 X5. I have never had any problems with any of the Samsung T series, and I've been using them since the T1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.