Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I cannot disagree with you. Sorry she is having the issues but the fact remains HDMI is problematic on the new mini, I had it with mine.
Have you tried just turning the monitor off then back on? Also, sometimes a different HDMI cable may work better. Monoprice.com seems to have good stuff at good prices.
Hope this helps a little.

Yes, when it goes funny she has to turn it on and off again.

I've swapped 3 different cables and even loaned a spare monitor of mine - 2 days in and she had the issue reappear.

Sorry my annoyance wasn't aimed at you, but at Apple.

I've set up 3 of these new Mac Minis for customers recently - I cater to older clients and try and offer the smoothest possible experience while also being budget friendly, and to find out that a product I recommend, for reliability purposes, has an inherent problem is a kick in the guts.

Reactions: Martyimac

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Similar problems here; I have a 2018 mini i7 1TB 16GB running a Samsung 1920 x 1200 display via HDMI to DVI. It has a few problems,

1 Static occasionally when waking up.
2 Some HDs in the OWC Thunderbay 6 do not open after waking up.
3 FVD Speed Dial on Firefox loses site icons while sleeping.

bent00

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
Same issue. 2018 Mac Mini, Mojave 10.14.4 HDMI-DVI Dell 24" monitor. Occurred since day one in January. I get snow on random wakes. 10 good ones, then 2 in a row with snow, one good one, 3 w/snow. Apple please fix. It's not listed in the release notes for 10.14.5, do doubt they've addressed it yet.

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Same issues here.
All the demo mac minis 2018 at my work has these issues. Also my own mini just bought.
Will not work correctly with my Acer Predator monitor or my LG oled B8 TV on the HDMI ports.
Unplugin the hdmi cable from the mini and then inserting it again is the only way the wake my Acer monitor. My Samsung 4k tv though seems to work better with the HDMI handshake. Also a HP monitor at my work seems to work with the mini.

Just ordered a USB-C to mini displayport adapter to give it a go.

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Started up my mini this morning from a cold boot with my 27 Acer xb271hu hdmi-hdmi. Suddenly all is working right now. Weird.
[doublepost=1560499036][/doublepost]Never mind. Problems started again.

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Tested a few monitors at my work today:

- AOC 271QX 27" 1440P 144hz gaming monitor. Seems to work fine.
Slight delay at startup from apple boot logo to login.
- ASUS VG 245HE 1080P. Works without problems. 1080p 75hz.
- HP 24FW. Works without problems.
- HP 27X. Works without problems.
- Asus PG279Q. 1440p IPS 144 hz gaming monitor. Not waking from sleep. Basically the same kind of monitor as my Acer Predator 27".

Can't find a pattern on why my ACER or LG Oled TV will not work.

Last edited:

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
When I got home from work today I used a usb-c to hdmi dongle on my Acer monitor. It works much better! 95% of the time it works now. And when the monitor wont wake up a quick push at the on off button starts it up.

I tried this dongle on the almost similar Asus monitor at work without the same success.

On monday my usb-c to mini displayport adapter arrives.

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
The cheap USB-C TO HDMI adapter I have been using over the weekend seems to work mostly ok. I also brought an original APPLE USB-C to HDMI adapter from work. That one is not working! Seems to work as bad as the original Apple HDMI port on the mini! Even a power on/off on my screen that works every time with the cheap adapter to wake the screen instant do not work with the Apple original adapter.

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
usb-c to mini displayport adapter: seems to work pretty well! Takes around 7 seconds for the monitor to wake up after deep sleep. Almost instant at normal sleep.

Update: will not wake up some times after restart. Not even showing the Apple Boot logo. Sometimes the login screen appear and sometimes not. So screw this =(

Now I have tried every option available and none is a 100% reliable solution. Wtf!

I decided to go with my cheap USB-C to HDMI adapter for now.

Last edited:

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
2014 also had/have this issue, doesn't matter what combination of cables and connections are used. Once in a while it will happen.

Only happens to the Minotor designated as monitor number 1 mind you. (Acer R271, connected to DP port. It's even better when it combines with the Pink hue that no doubt still effects the Mac Mini GPU's.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California
Try having just a single monitor connected via HDMI and see if it still happens. That would be a useful data point. Also try a different monitor completely to see if it's related specifically to how the Samsung is handling the HDMI signal from the Mac Mini.

Single monitor connected to mine has the same problem. This and the bluetooth problems are plan BS on Apple's part. I've tried 3 different monitors and all 3 do it. Dell, LG and a HP all do it. Changed the HDMI Cable also. No difference. Sometimes I have to power cycle the mini to get picture back. I've sent crash reports and I'm done with that. Not sure if they ever get them to be honest. This machine is not ready for primetime that is for sure. If I unplug and replug the HDMI cable it is a hit or miss.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Single monitor connected to mine has the same problem. This and the bluetooth problems are plan BS on Apple's part. I've tried 3 different monitors and all 3 do it. Dell, LG and a HP all do it. Changed the HDMI Cable also. No difference. Sometimes I have to power cycle the mini to get picture back. I've sent crash reports and I'm done with that. Not sure if they ever get them to be honest. This machine is not ready for primetime that is for sure. If I unplug and replug the HDMI cable it is a hit or miss.

I changed to a USB-C to HDMI cable for a client's Mac mini with seems to have fixed the issue.

I tried two different HDMI monitors and three cables. There is obviously something fundamentally wrong with the new Mac Mini's HDMi.

VERY poor on Apple's part. Damaging for people like me who recommend an Apple product specifically for reliability, and then have this rubbish.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
I changed to a USB-C to HDMI cable for a client's Mac mini with seems to have fixed the issue.

I tried two different HDMI monitors and three cables. There is obviously something fundamentally wrong with the new Mac Mini's HDMi.

VERY poor on Apple's part. Damaging for people like me who recommend an Apple product specifically for reliability, and then have this rubbish.

Just use USB-C to displayport, then you won't have issues on wake. At least it fixed this for me.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Just use USB-C to displayport, then you won't have issues on wake. At least it fixed this for me.

The USB-C to HDMI adaptor seems to have fixed it. I'm annoyed that its come down to this though for a supposedly high end computer.

Yuck9

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2014
California

I agree. Sad part is  is aware and prolly can't fix it or they would have by now. This along with the bluetooth problems this machine is a POS IMHO. Like you, I tried a few different monitors, HDMI Cables etc with no change. First it was bluetooth, and now HDMI. Wonder what's next. Which USB-C adapter did you end up using ?

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Funny that I read this topic, I too have had a 20 second delay for my main screen after waking from sleep, and I thought it was something related to the screen and not the Mac. It seems to be taking longer to wake after sleep as the months pass by. I've had the MM since November 2018.

I have two screens, both with DVI and connected to the MM via adaptors (one is connected to the HDMI, and the other to the usb-c port).

Hopefully someday this will be fixed.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I agree. Sad part is  is aware and prolly can't fix it or they would have by now. This along with the bluetooth problems this machine is a POS IMHO. Like you, I tried a few different monitors, HDMI Cables etc with no change. First it was bluetooth, and now HDMI. Wonder what's next. Which USB-C adapter did you end up using ?

Ended up going with a cheap (Kmart Australia) one ($19 AUD) which seems to have done the trick.
[doublepost=1568809607][/doublepost]
Funny that I read this topic, I too have had a 20 second delay for my main screen after waking from sleep, and I thought it was something related to the screen and not the Mac. It seems to be taking longer to wake after sleep as the months pass by. I've had the MM since November 2018.

I have two screens, both with DVI and connected to the MM via adaptors (one is connected to the HDMI, and the other to the usb-c port).

Hopefully someday this will be fixed.

Have noticed this. It is very frustrating.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Just set up a new Mini with a BenQ PD2700Q on the HDMI port and ran into this issue immediately. Glad I ran into this discussion before pounding my head against Apple's "help" options. Now have a USB-C to DP cable on order. I guess this will teach us to force Apple to rush a product to market.

RedGuest99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Reading through the posts on this thread, is it correct to say that 2018 Mac mini display output only works properly (no sleep awakening issues) when connected to monitors that have a DisplayPort video input connection? For those unfamiliar with video input types, a DisplayPort connection is different than an HDMI connection, VGA connection, etc.... I see several mentions of monitors with DisplayPort video input connections working properly.
Is the workaround and warning to all current and potential 2018 Mac mini owners: "ONLY USE MONITORS THAT HAVE A DISPLAYPORT VIDEO INPUT WITH THE 2018 MAC MINI"? Can 2018 mac mini users with monitors that have the DisplayPort style video input connections confirm or refute this statement? Unfortunately, my particular Samsung monitors only have HDMI and VGA video inputs.

Last edited:

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Reading through the posts on this thread, is it correct to say that 2018 Mac mini display output only works properly (no sleep awakening issues) when connected to monitors that have a DisplayPort video input connection? For those unfamiliar with video input types, a DisplayPort connection is different than an HDMI connection, VGA connection, etc.... I see several mentions of monitors with DisplayPort video input connections working properly.
Is the workaround and warning to all current and potential 2018 Mac mini owners: "ONLY USE MONITORS THAT HAVE A DISPLAYPORT VIDEO INPUT WITH THE 2018 MAC MINI"? Can 2018 mac mini users with monitors that have the DisplayPort style video input connections confirm or refute this statement? Unfortunately, my particular Samsung monitors only have HDMI and VGA video inputs.
My take is much simpler. Don't use the HDMI output on the mini.

RedGuest99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
To clarify, post #98 above refers to the type of video inputs on the monitor(s) being used, not the mini itself. Personally, I'm not currently using the HDMI video output port on the mini itself (currently using two USB-C ports on the mini connected to the monitor HDMI ports) The purpose of post #98 is to determine if a workaround/warning is to only use MONITORS that have a DisplayPort video input connector. Could it be that monitors using DisplayPort video inputs work just fine with USB-C ports on the mini?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.