Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
To clarify, post #98 above refers to the type of video inputs on the monitor(s) being used, not the mini itself. Personally, I'm not currently using the HDMI vide output port on the mini itself (currently using two USB-C ports on the mini connected to the HDMI monitor ports) The purpose of post #98 is to determine if a workaround/warning is to only use MONITORS that have a DisplayPort video input connector. Could it be that monitors using DisplayPort video inputs work just fine with USB-C ports on the mini?
That is what I went to, the USB-C to DP. I don't think that the monitors inputs are the issue.

RedGuest99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Posts #92, #93 and #101 indicate that the combination of using the mini's USB-C to a DisplayPort video input on a monitor does NOT produce the wake from sleep display issues. I can confirm that using the mini's USB-C output to a monitor's HDMI video input DOES produce the wake from sleep issue, suggesting that the monitor video input type has an effect. Again, this is exploring a possible workaround for the issue. Not fixing the mini's issues. Other readers, going forward, please add your video connection combination starting with the mini video output type used, then the monitor video input type used and the outcome. This thread has so far produced the known outcomes shown below. Outcomes with a ? are yet to be determined.

Mini's video output type used
Monitor's video input type used
Outcome
USB-C​
HDMI​
Bad (wake from sleep issue is present)​
USB-C​
DisplayPort​
Good (wake from sleep issue is absent)​
USB-C​
VGA​
?​
HDMI​
HDMI​
Bad​
HDMI​
DisplayPort​
?​
HDMI​
VGA​
Bad​

Last edited:
Reactions: Marinier

RedGuest99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Anyway, it's sounding like the 2018 Mac Mini is only compatible with monitors that have a DisplayPort video input connection. Sucks for me since my monitors only have HDMI and VGA connections. My guess is any connection involving an HDMI port on the mini or the monitor will not function properly, but we'll let the data speak for itself as other users report their video out/video in connection type combinations. I'm tempted to try the mini USB-C to the monitor VGA connection combination, but I'm hesitant to waste more time and money on this Apple carelessness.

Last edited by a moderator:

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
There are DVI connections as well which have this issue.

I have a USB-C to DVI connector and it has the sleep issue (~20 seconds until useable) on an LG screen.

Also I have a 3 second delay after awakening the Mac, when using an HDMI to DVI connector into a Formac screen (>10 years old, my secondary screeen), which is not the normal behaviour, it had an almost instant wake when used with my MM2012.

RedGuest99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Let's update the video output/input table with the data from post #107. Still converging on confirming the hypothesis that the 2018 Mac mini is only fully compatible with monitors that have a DisplayPort video input connector.

In fact, if the addendum technical support bulletin posted above mentioning the USB-C to Display Cable is a legitimate Apple technical support bulletin, then it seems to me that Apple is basically confirming that the 2018 mac mini is only fully compatible with monitors that have a DisplayPort video input connection.....AND...only when a USB-C port is used to connect to the monitor. I like to make amends when I screw things up and don't deliver what was promised. Does Apple?

Outcome
USB-C​
HDMI​
USB-C​
DisplayPort​
USB-C​
VGA​
?​
USB-C​
DVI​
Bad​
HDMI​
HDMI​
Bad​
HDMI​
DisplayPort​
?​
HDMI​
VGA​
Bad​
HDMI​
DVI​
?​

Last edited:

domi26

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Belgium
After Mojave update, I could not use my monitor any more (HDMI->dongle HDMI/DVI): Acer X233H.
Now I use a HDMI cable on an old LCD TV: OK.
Also: Mac Mini on my Oled 4K 65" (Panasonic): via HDMI: OK.
Mac Mini to a Samsung monitor (something like Samsung C27F591FDU): ok via HDMI...

I have just ordered the Benq PD3200U... wait and see...

ancientappleuser

Suspended
May 31, 2019
After Mojave update, I could not use my monitor any more (HDMI->dongle HDMI/DVI): Acer X233H.
Now I use a HDMI cable on an old LCD TV: OK.
Also: Mac Mini on my Oled 4K 65" (Panasonic): via HDMI: OK.
Mac Mini to a Samsung monitor (something like Samsung C27F591FDU): ok via HDMI...

I have just ordered the Benq PD3200U... wait and see...

Domi26,

Which update did you just complete?

domi26

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Belgium
Finally, I received my Benq PD3200U, firmware is updated.
All is working fine with my Mac Mini 2018 (i5, 8Gb RAM), connected with the original cable HDMI/HDMI.
No problem to wake up, and to turn on the Mac.

dmcdayton

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I'm having this same problem on my HP 32" Pavilion, been very aggravating. Unfortunately I need all my USB C ports and I don't want to add a hub. Has Apple even responded to this issue or are they too busy counting their credit card users? I'm losing the joy I had for Apple products that made me switch all those years ago. I've updated my iOS products 3 times in past 2 weeks, barf, such a honkin hassle. Steve Jobs would have development walking around with sticky notes of shame on their forehead saying "I broke the OS".

Macak

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2018
Canada
USB C to DisplayPort = 15 to 20 seconds before seeing something on monitor (from sleep mode). Pretty annoying. (Dell U2415 Mini i3)

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I understand that this is a mac mini issue but I recently had the same tv static image issue on my 2019 mba. Could be related or not, but a small no. of people experienced this weird screen glitch on wakeup on 2018 mbas as well.

I have a 2019 mbp 15" but that one has been fine.

drifter7508

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Posts #92, #93 and #101 indicate that the combination of using the mini's USB-C to a DisplayPort video input on a monitor does NOT produce the wake from sleep display issues. I can confirm that using the mini's USB-C output to a monitor's HDMI video input DOES produce the wake from sleep issue, suggesting that the monitor video input type has an effect. Again, this is exploring a possible workaround for the issue. Not fixing the mini's issues. Other readers, going forward, please add your video connection combination starting with the mini video output type used, then the monitor video input type used and the outcome. This thread has so far produced the known outcomes shown below. Outcomes with a ? are yet to be determined.

Outcome
USB-C​
HDMI​
USB-C​
DisplayPort​
USB-C​
VGA​
?​
HDMI​
HDMI​
Bad​
HDMI​
DisplayPort​
?​
HDMI​
VGA​
Bad​

No, this is not true. I have tried several monitors with USB-C to displayport. Same issue with around 60% of them.

Semuser

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
UK
Hi All.

Great thread

I have the following:

Mac Mini: 3.6GHZ/ 8GIG/128

Purchased 1st June 2019.

I had them exact same problem while using Two Samsung screens (Models S27E330)

Screen 1: Connected via HDMI CABLE

Screen 2: Connected via USB-C > HDMI cable

Running: macOS Mojava 10.14.6

HDMI screen would be fuzzy (snow) after waking from sleep (Pull out the HDMI cable put it back in and it would all work again) Vey annoying.

Tried all combinations of cables and software upgrades and even downgrades, no changes.

Upgraded to Catalina 10.15 today and the snow effect went away however random screen issues on the HDMI > HDMI screen. It would wake up but flicker between both screens going black and would settle with both screens on after a few seconds (Still not happy and very annoying)

So i though ok final try now i have made some sideways progress with Catalina.

I have so many cables and adaptors now after trying to fix this and can confirm after 2 hours of testing (putting it to sleep and so on, leaving it for 1 minute then 10 and finally 30 mins.

Results:

After 1 or 2 minutes both screens wake up fine but even after 10 minutes when woken up they flick around between each other for a few seconds before both settling down and start working.

So basically although i don't have to pull out any cable to get them working it is still terrible.

I am left using the following:

Screen one:

1 x USB-C > HDMI cable (no adaptor) Bought from Amazon (Syntech is the brand in case that has anything to do with it) no i don't work for them!)

Screen Two:

1 x HDMI cable with USB-C adaptor > HDMI - same brand as screen HDMI cable.

I have tried

Screen one:

1 x USB-C > HDMI cable (no adaptor) Bought from Amazon (Syntech is the brand in case that has anything to do with it) no i don't work for them!)

Screen Two:

1 x HDMI > HDMI cable - same brand as screen one.

The first set up may be better but not much. So not using the MAC MINI HDMI port at all.

So finally I'm am giving up, i will wait for any updates or fixes as i have tried every cable and adaptor i can find plus software.

In my basic opinion hardware or HDMI / graphics related.

Reactions: madrag

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I have this issue with the 2018 MBA -> blackmagic -> hdmi to hdmi on a dell p2715Q.

Had thought it was an egpu issue. It doesn’t happen all the time. Just some of the time. Pulling out and reinserting hdmi to egpu works as does putting macos to sleep using a hot corner then turning off and back on the monitor. (Sometimes)

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
My 2018 Mini (3.2ghz, 32Gb Ram) running 10.14.5 has the snow issue on start up after being off for a while along with waking after being asleep overnight. It is snowy for a second or two then goes black for a second or two then comes back fine. I’m using an older Acer 24” monitor with HDMI to DVI cable. The snow doesn’t happen every time.

xlico

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
After much trying, I came to this decision.
Not very smart, but it works. I connect the splitter consecutively, and when the problem occurs, I press the button three times
1.jpg

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
After much trying, I came to this decision.
Not very smart, but it works. I connect the splitter consecutively, and when the problem occurs, I press the button three times
This is essentially just disconnecting and reconnecting the hdmi, right?

aldofern

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Hi All.

Great thread

I have the following:

Mac Mini: 3.6GHZ/ 8GIG/128

Purchased 1st June 2019.

I had them exact same problem while using Two Samsung screens (Models S27E330)

Screen 1: Connected via HDMI CABLE

Screen 2: Connected via USB-C > HDMI cable

Running: macOS Mojava 10.14.6

HDMI screen would be fuzzy (snow) after waking from sleep (Pull out the HDMI cable put it back in and it would all work again) Vey annoying.

Tried all combinations of cables and software upgrades and even downgrades, no changes.

Upgraded to Catalina 10.15 today and the snow effect went away however random screen issues on the HDMI > HDMI screen. It would wake up but flicker between both screens going black and would settle with both screens on after a few seconds (Still not happy and very annoying)

So i though ok final try now i have made some sideways progress with Catalina.

I have so many cables and adaptors now after trying to fix this and can confirm after 2 hours of testing (putting it to sleep and so on, leaving it for 1 minute then 10 and finally 30 mins.

Results:

After 1 or 2 minutes both screens wake up fine but even after 10 minutes when woken up they flick around between each other for a few seconds before both settling down and start working.

So basically although i don't have to pull out any cable to get them working it is still terrible.

I am left using the following:

Screen one:

Screen Two:

1 x HDMI cable with USB-C adaptor > HDMI - same brand as screen HDMI cable.

I have tried

Screen one:

Screen Two:

1 x HDMI > HDMI cable - same brand as screen one.

The first set up may be better but not much. So not using the MAC MINI HDMI port at all.

So finally I'm am giving up, i will wait for any updates or fixes as i have tried every cable and adaptor i can find plus software.

In my basic opinion hardware or HDMI / graphics related.
I have had this issue since the 2012 Mac mini. I have a 2018 mini with Catalina, and still have the issue. I have tried every troubleshooting under the sun, except getting the USB-c to display port cable.

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
My 2018 Mini (3.2ghz, 32Gb Ram) running 10.14.5 has the snow issue on start up after being off for a while along with waking after being asleep overnight. It is snowy for a second or two then goes black for a second or two then comes back fine. I’m using an older Acer 24” monitor with HDMI to DVI cable. The snow doesn’t happen every time.

The problem is worse since upgrading to 10.14.6!

I know the monitor and HDMI to DVI cable are good since I used both with my 2010 Mac Mini without any issues.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I have had this issue since the 2012 Mac mini. I have a 2018 mini with Catalina, and still have the issue. I have tried every troubleshooting under the sun, except getting the USB-c to display port cable.
That was the fix my my 2018 mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.