Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
The DELL 2407WFP that works so well as a 2nd monitor when connected with a Amazon Basics HDMI - DVI cable to my 2014 Mini, does not work at all using the same cable with my new 2018 Mini.

The 2018 Mini recognizes the DELL 2407WFP. And when "gathered", System Prefs > Displays shows the correct resolutions the DELL 2407WFP can handle. BUT….. Regardless of which resolution I chose, the DELL complains and asks that I tell the Mini to use 1920x1200 at 60hz. Of course the Mini says it already is!

The DELL 2407WFP only has DVI-D, VGA, Component, Composite and S-Video inputs.

Could this be a cable/adapter issue? If so, what brand cable should I use?

Thanks in Advance — GetRealBro

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might try:
- USBc (mini) to DVI (display)
- USBc (mini) to VGA (display). It might look better than you would think.
- A different HDMI to DVI cable

Reactions: chabig

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
You might try:
- USBc (mini) to DVI (display)
- USBc (mini) to VGA (display). It might look better than you would think.
- A different HDMI to DVI cable
Thanks. I had hoped that someone already had & solved this problem, so I could avoid buying/playing cable roulette. But...

I spoke with Apple Support this AM. They suggested the USBc to DVI adapter was my best option. So I ordered one from Amazon. I'll report back when I've tried it.

FWIW I've switched my main monitor (BenQ EW3270ZL) to the HDMI port and it is working fine. So if the USBc->DVI cable works with the DELL, I won't burn up two of the four USBc ports just for monitors. In the mean time, I left the DELL attached to the 2014 Mini that I had planned to convert into a headless file & music server. I miss the extra screen real estate already :(

BTW this was first time in over 3 decades as a Apple computer/phone/tablet user that I actually called Apple for help :eek:

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
You might try:
- USBc (mini) to DVI (display)....
Thanks again for your suggestion.

This AM an Amazon truck arrived with a USBc->DVI cable and a miracle happened :)

I didn't know how much I had gotten used to the DELL for the extra desktop space until I lost it. Now I can unclutter the 32in 2560x1440 BenQ by keeping the main Mail window, Activity Monitor, Peak Hour 4 bandwidth graphs, etc. on the DELL.

BTW here's the cable that worked
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076367RYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I chose it because the description specifically lists the DELL's default resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz.

GetRealBro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.