Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The NFL might not be done reviewing the incident. There could be more coming. I mean, they left it open-ended with Garrett.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The NFL might not be done reviewing the incident. There could be more coming. I mean, they left it open-ended with Garrett.

There’s _far_ deeper ramifications here for Garrett. Any endorsements can/will be withdrawn at a minimum, there’s been discussion about his eligibility for next season. Personally, I think he should be Perma-banned from the NFL, And rightfully so. But in the least, that’s not what I would be concerned with if I were him, if Rudolph makes his own actual criminal complaint, you’re talking about the legal system getting involved with their own investigation. But at this time, he has not come forward to the police, yet.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I don't think that Garrett should be permanently banned from the NFL. The NFL has allowed players who have done much worse to continue to play. That said, I'm fine with him missing the rest of this year and part of next year as well.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There’s _far_ deeper ramifications here for Garrett. Any endorsements can/will be withdrawn at a minimum, there’s been discussion about his eligibility for next season. Personally, I think he should be Perma-banned from the NFL, And rightfully so. But in the least, that’s not what I would be concerned with if I were him, if Rudolph makes his own actual criminal complaint, you’re talking about the legal system getting involved with their own investigation. But at this time, he has not come forward to the police, yet.
Rudolph technically starting the whole thing when he went for Garrett's helmet. Now that doesn't give Garrett the excuse to go mental on the field with 8 seconds left in the game.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Rudolph technically starting the whole thing when he went for Garrett's helmet

I agree that Rudolph should be handled accordingly. I’m not sure the NFL is entirely through with this investigation, apart from moving swiftly on Garretts behalf of what he did.

Now that doesn't give Garrett the excuse to go mental on the field with 8 seconds left in the game.

I get it, sometimes players allow the momentum of the game, negative energy, adrenaline and whatever else is going on affect their rationale, but what he did was pretty gruesome and could’ve had a nasty outcome.

In retrospect, I think it goes beyond just ‘losing your cool’ in an NFL game, he (And all players alike) are supposed to be a professional at the highest caliber at all times, and I’ve already said it once, he’s lucky the criminal justice system hasn’t gotten involved yet without Rudolph’s criminal complaint, which I’m assuming he won’t file.

I’d say Garrett is pretty much a Latrell Sprewell of the NBA, but in this case, the helmet and his aggression will permanently put him a spot where his reputation is damaged beyond repair.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I agree that Rudolph should be handled accordingly. I’m not sure the NFL is entirely through with this investigation, apart from moving swiftly on Garretts behalf of what he did.

I get it, sometimes players allow the momentum of the game, negative energy, adrenaline and whatever else is going on affect their rationale, but what he did was pretty gruesome and could’ve had a nasty outcome.

In retrospect, I think it goes beyond just ‘losing your cool’ in an NFL game, he (And all players alike) are supposed to be a professional at the highest caliber at all times, and I’ve already said it once, he’s lucky the criminal justice system hasn’t gotten involved yet without Rudolph’s criminal complaint, which I’m assuming he won’t file.

I’d say Garrett is pretty much a Latrell Sprewell of the NBA, but in this case, the helmet and his aggression will permanently put him a spot where his reputation is damaged beyond repair.
Don't forget Ron Artest actually starting fighting people in the stands.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't forget Ron Artest actually starting fighting people in the stands.

Ahh, yes. Mr. Artest. He has quite the history outside the NBA as well, but physicality was his personal forte with players and well, Breaking cameras/TV monitors.

Anyways, I think what Myles Garrett is semi dealing with, isn’t so much his anger and frustration throwing a punch or a kick, but using a helmet to accelerate his aggression. Not a good look.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ahh, yes. Mr. Artest. He has quite the history outside the NBA as well, but physicality was his personal forte with players and well, Breaking cameras/TV monitors.

Anyways, I think what Myles Garrett is semi dealing with, isn’t so much his anger and frustration throwing a punch or a kick, but using a helmet to accelerate his aggression. Not a good look.
And it being at the end of a game where they were going to win.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Rudolph has stated that he is not filing a criminal complaint. But, I think he should receive some sort of punishment from the NFL because he tried to do what (initially) Garrett did successfully. I can't think of a previous incident that potentially had as severe of an injury as this one. Wait! Juan Marichal! Yeah, that's very equivalent.

It's hard to say who started what led to the brawl. Rudolph was taken down hard for three successive plays, with no flags, and he was hot. I didn't watch the game. There might have been more leading up to that which had several players at the boiling point. It's a violent game of course, even when playing within the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Will watch the Patriots/Eagles game hopefully it will be a good game. I have been a Brady fan since his college days.

Reactions: GlenK

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Two thoughts about last night's game.
1. KC's offense does not look great, even after 4 INTs they were only 7 points up on the Chargers.
2. River's is having a horrible season, doesn't he lead the AFC (NFL?) with INTs. They were easily moving the ball but they would cough it up in the end.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seattle has been surprising me all season ..

It's between the 49'ers and the Hawks.

The 49ers were relentless yesterday with their defense, it was scary how intense they played against Green Bay. As for The Packers, they’re really overrated, but they have a decent coach with Lafleur. Seattle has a solid offensive line up and are well coached.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A handful of thoughts.

AFC East - Buffalo's offense is getting better and while they're behind the pats by two games, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Speaking of the Pats, they don't have any WR threats and their offense is struggling. All things being equal, it will be surprising to see them go deep into the playoffs.

Ravens are scary good, and if Jackson can avoid injuries, they are the team to beat in the AFC.

Rams, like the Panthers a few years back are now realizing how hard it is win consistently in the NFL. I think both teams had the mindset that their first super bowl was going to be one of many, and like the panthers the following year of their SB, the rams are largely out of the playoff mix. This makes what the Patriots accomplished these past 18 years even more amazing.

On the NFC front, the 49ers are the team to beat, but don't discount the seahawks, they seem to have a way of making a deep run into the playoffs, no matter how slow they start.

Washington is a dumpster fire and I can't see how the owner can turn things around, since he's mostly the cause.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now if they can stay healthy,
Jackson took some hard hits last night, he's not a big fella. He's literally one hard hit from being knocked out of the game. RGIII comes to mind, no one could stop him until he got injured and he was done.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Seattle has been surprising me all season ..

It's between the 49'ers and the Hawks.
Seattle is my second least favorite team right behind New England. Can’t stand Pete Carroll (and his constant gum chewing). And I’m still not over that wild card game the Vikings lost to them in 2015. Unfortunately I think Seattle has the edge over the 49’ers because the latter’s schedule is just brutal. I’m still mad at the 49’ers for losing to Seattle at home in overtime. What a dumb loss. But that last game of the season between the two should be tasty.

As bad as the AFC is is compared to the NFC I think one could argue Baltimore is the favorite to win the Super Bowl. I’m an NFC fan but I’m anti New England first. So I’ll enthusiastically cheer for Baltimore to keep New England out of the Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Seattle is my second least favorite team right behind New England. Can’t stand Pete Carroll (and his constant gum chewing). And I’m still not over that wild card game the Vikings lost to them in 2015. Unfortunately I think Seattle has the edge over the 49’ers because the latter’s schedule is just brutal. I’m still mad at the 49’ers for losing to Seattle at home in overtime. What a dumb loss. But that last game of the season between the two should be tasty.

As bad as the AFC is is compared to the NFC I think one could argue Baltimore is the favorite to win the Super Bowl. I’m an NFC fan but I’m anti New England first. So I’ll enthusiastically cheer for Baltimore to keep New England out of the Super Bowl.

Pete Carroll’s gum chewing is so obnoxious, it’s to the point even where Sportscenter has discussed it multiple times, but I digress.😁

This year is not the year for New England, they’re not winning the Super Bowl this time. I’m not a fan of the 49ers, but they really are a fantastic team with their defense, it’s not even that they are just ‘defensively good’, it’s they study the tapes exceedingly well of the teams with their offense, and completely shut them down, so their defensive coordinators deserve a lot of credit with player matchups.

Baltimore? Yup, they’re good, should be interesting to see where they land.

Reactions: Rogifan

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Speaking of the Pats, they don't have any WR threats and their offense is struggling.
As an anti-Patriot fan, I'm both happy and sad about this. Happy because I hate the Patriots. Sad because Brady's decline is pretty steep, kinda like how the Sheriff fell of the cliff during his final season in Denver.

One more thing, can get a league rule that forces the Patriots to use only kickers named Mike Nugent?:p

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How good would the Patriots be if they played in a division other than the AFC East?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
because Brady's decline is pretty steep,
I don't think the offense is struggling because of brady, but rather no deep threats, the loss of Gronk also deeply impacted what the patriots could do.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
How good would the Patriots be if they played in a division other than the AFC East?

Probably just as good... I saw a stat the other day where the Patriots record against non AFC East opponents is actually better than against AFC East opponents over their 10 year run. They've just been beating everyone pretty much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.