Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
As all the teams have their drivers and engines sorted, I thought it appropriate to start the 2019 season thread. This will be a bit of a landmark season, as only the British Grand Prix will be live on terrestrial TV in the UK. I remember watching nearly the entire season when the BBC had the rights, so I may be forced to splash out on Sky, which is mildly more appealing now that Comcast own them. Anyhew, time for predictions, silly off season news and new liveries!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hope Verstappen has a car fast and reliable enough to be a title contender.

Looking for a really close championship but for the cream (Ham) to rise to the top.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
As all the teams have their drivers and engines sorted, I thought it appropriate to start the 2019 season thread. This will be a bit of a landmark season, as only the British Grand Prix will be live on terrestrial TV in the UK. I remember watching nearly the entire season when the BBC had the rights, so I may be forced to splash out on Sky, which is mildly more appealing now that Comcast own them. Anyhew, time for predictions, silly off season news and new liveries!
I’m going Now TV for the good races. Highlights for the rest.
[doublepost=1544816600][/doublepost]
Hope Verstappen has a car fast and reliable enough to be a title contender.

Looking for a really close championship but for the cream (Ham) to rise to the top.
That would be nice.

When is winter testing? I’d love to see Williams or McLaren improve, but think they’ll be making up the numbers again.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Missed a lot of the races. Let's try for a solid 2019. While not related, the Monger story was absolutely moving. Brave lad. Brave.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK

:D This is good fun from the official F1 channel, almost an in jokey dig at the euphenisms Sky commentators and race engineers use, and Romain Grosjean.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Did anyone else see the news about MS being able to get up and move about?

Was that posted on here?

Was it true?

I had a google search in hope but haven't been able to find anything indicating his state has improved unfortunately. :(

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’m pretty sure Michael Schumacher will never be seen in public again. I believe his injuries are too serious.
The family would much rather we remember him as he was than release pictures of him in a hospital bed connected to machines etc.

A terrible shame. Looking forward to seeing what his son can do in F1 when he gets there.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
upload_2018-12-26_19-29-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-26_19-29-21.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-26_19-29-21.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 264

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I’m pretty sure Michael Schumacher will never be seen in public again. I believe his injuries are too serious.
The family would much rather we remember him as he was than release pictures of him in a hospital bed connected to machines etc.

A terrible shame. Looking forward to seeing what his son can do in F1 when he gets there.

Yes Mick looks like he could be a talent, and appears more mature than some of the current crop. Even before the accident he was running under his mother’s maiden name for a time rather than Schumacher to avoid comparisons.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Best performance by the team in a decade, so why not send Arrivabene packing. :p

Seriously, we'd been hearing for at least the 2018 season that Binotto did not get along with Arrivabene and Ferrari did have the better engine for the first half of the season before AMG caught up (at which point it was all over since they had the better chassis and driver). They lost 2018 due to Vettel, not Arrivabene, IMO.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Best performance by the team in a decade, so why not send Arrivabene packing. :p

Seriously, we'd been hearing for at least the 2018 season that Binotto did not get along with Arrivabene and Ferrari did have the better engine for the first half of the season before AMG caught up (at which point it was all over since they had the better chassis and driver). They lost 2018 due to Vettel, not Arrivabene, IMO.
Agree that Vettel blew it this year. But Lewis is the better driver IMO. Hoping RBR can deliver a better package with Honda next year to make it a threeway!

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

They had 4 years to win the WDC and or the WCC. Something had to change. I am a Maurizio supporter, however politics was heavily in this decision. He was a polarizing Team Principle. I would rather keep Binotto at Ferrari than loosing him the Mercedes. :apple:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141015/f1-created-simulation-for-grid-format-change

Interesting look into the thought process of Liberty. They’re also looking into using simulation to model circuits for overtaking. It’s kinda fun for me to see some heavy hitting former designers (Symonds, Brawn) actually looking systematically and scientifically at F1 to see how to build on its flaws.

With regards to the grids, the more interesting starts are those with a bit of a “squeeze”. Silverstone has been somewhat neutered with a fast right hander providing little in the way of overtaking unfortunately.

Reactions: BenTrovato

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141015/f1-created-simulation-for-grid-format-change

Interesting look into the thought process of Liberty. They’re also looking into using simulation to model circuits for overtaking. It’s kinda fun for me to see some heavy hitting former designers (Symonds, Brawn) actually looking systematically and scientifically at F1 to see how to build on its flaws.

With regards to the grids, the more interesting starts are those with a bit of a “squeeze”. Silverstone has been somewhat neutered with a fast right hander providing little in the way of overtaking unfortunately.

Great to see they are at least studying to make changes. I mean, the writing was on the wall 5 years ago.. but hey better late than never. I guess it will be exciting to see what happens over the next few years. As bad as the change they made to qualifying in 2016 that only lasted two races was, I was happy to see them try something different even if it was horrible. After reading that article, I clicked underneath on this one. F1 is definitely in a sad state of affairs. https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141023/no-point-in-staying-in-f1-without-change-EUR-steiner

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Many teams have been extremely frustrated with their wind tunnel testing. I don't see the changes creating anything other than slower speeds. If anything I believe we will see a large increase in off track incidents, as well as contact between cars as they slide around. Pirelli really needs to come up with some innovative compounds if teams expect to get greater than 30 laps out of their tires with all the heat generated from sliding around. Liberty has not been good for F1. They are approaching competition like NASCAR has with all their Aero Failures.

I expect another season of domination by 3 teams. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Many teams have been extremely frustrated with their wind tunnel testing. I don't see the changes creating anything other than slower speeds. If anything I believe we will see a large increase in off track incidents, as well as contact between cars as they slide around. Pirelli really needs to come up with some innovative compounds if teams expect to get greater than 30 laps out of their tires with all the heat generated from sliding around. Liberty has not been good for F1. They are approaching competition like NASCAR has with all their Aero Failures.

I expect another season of domination by 3 teams. :apple:
3 teams? Has F1 ever been more open than that? Not in the 35 years I’ve been watching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.