Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Here’s a bold prediction or two:

• Apple are intending to not include any ear buds with future iPhones, but will reduce the cost of the iPhone as people will be made to purchase Airpods/Pro separately.

• Apple are working on AirPower mk II with wireless charging tech that’ll juice up devices much quicker & more efficiently than today’s wireless chargers.

Probably end up being 0/2, but hey, this is rumourville.

What do you think? ?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Here’s a bold prediction or two:

• Apple are intending to not include any ear buds with future iPhones, but will reduce the cost of the iPhone as people will be made to purchase Airpods/Pro separately.

• Apple are working on AirPower mk II with wireless charging tech that’ll juice up devices much quicker & more efficiently than today’s wireless chargers.

Probably end up being 0/2, but hey, this is rumourville.

What do you think? ?

Simple in 2 years here’s a few Facts

#1. 5G Everything
#2. WiFi 6 Everywhere with higher security WPA3
#3. Bluetooth 6.0
#4. USB 4.0 (which is just Thunderbolt 3 with another name)
#5. Enhanced faster wireless charging

Everyone with a new car even a 2020 New car with AppleCar Play today will Need a $60 Dongle to plug into your cars USB and that Dongle will allow Wireless Apple Car Play

Apple’s Ads will ridicule and make fun of people (me included) with tons of Powercords and adapters and charging cables.

Apple will make a fortune off, charging licensing fees, for Wireless Sync or Some cool name called Apple Sync

Every Pro Dongle Device Manufacturer’s will have to Pay Apple a hefty Licensing fee to make Attachments like a Gymbal or a Extra Camera attachment or any Device that Once Plugged into the Lighting port will now need to be Certified by Apple to provide the same Functionality except do it wirelessly.

This is a Genius move by Apple

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
a snap-on magnetic charging puck like the Apple Watch seems more likely than a 'new AirPower'? As this is going to be a top-end model (I assume even above the Pros) I can see AirPods being bundled as per the recent rumour. If this is marketed like the X and meant to 'set the direction of travel', I still think it's a bit of an experiment to see how people react to it.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I’m not entirely sure this is going to happen any time soon. Wireless is nice, but it’s not yet ubiquitous enough to justify deleting a data/power port. Granted this hasn’t prevented Apple from doing similar in the past, but I think this would be a bridge too far even for them.

Almost all CarPlay is still wired-only and needs a data port. Certainly in existing cars. Then there’s the potential issue of charging in public places away from home where wireless pads are nowhere near common enough to justify the removal of a power port.

I won’t say it won’t happen, but I don’t think it will happen soon. If it does then lots of people will run into lots of problems in cars and public spaces.

Reactions: brucemr

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
My ipp gen 2 has trouble airplay troubles.
1, fiddly to connect to airport express (3)
2, cannot keep a steady connection to the airport expresses.
3, cannot connect to the apple tv 4k
same problems with iphone 6 plus.

'it just works'...not.
The failure of the basics makes me a skeptic.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
Apple making a completely wireless phone would sound ridiculous a few years prior, nowadays I’d say it’s likely in the next couple of years.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone will always have a lightning port forever. Cable charging option will always be available

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
iPhone will always have a lightning port forever. Cable charging option will always be available

Fixed it for you. At least the upper-tier models will go UBS-C, soon.

Going completely portless would make charging from accessory power packs impossible - I could actually imagine Apple doing this, but it would be a huge mistake IMO.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I can't at this time, see buying a wireless only. I'd need a dongle for home, car, briefcase, work etc - same number as cords now but... I assume that Apple will include a wireless charger instead of the cable and plug in module now.
I don't even understand why? As anyone in technology would tell you wired is always better than wireless. As I watch people in gym and elsewhere - wired ear is still used much more than wireless
Someone somewhere said - just get a car with wireless charging and CarPlay - first there are very few of them today and who buys a new car just because their phone needs a different connection.
Sorry today and for the near future wired (and USB-A on one end ) is the connection - cars, hotels, gyms, coffee shop etc.
I hope this is wrong but Apple does strange things

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Almost all CarPlay is still wired-only and needs a data port. Certainly in existing cars. Then there’s the potential issue of charging in public places away from home where wireless pads are nowhere near common enough to justify the removal of a power port.

In the last month while my car was at the dealership awaiting a part to repair a recall (possible engine fire) I first drove a loaner that had Wireless Carplay (and wireless charging). Convenient, and my first experience with Carplay. It took some experimentation to figure out how NOT to have 2 different mapping apps on the split screen.

Then it was replaced with a rental (UConnect). No navigation, and I didn't know it supported Carplay until I plugged the phone in to charge.

Wireless was more convenient for day to day driving. I historically only plugged my phone in when headed out on the highway so it would charge. But a 2020 with only wired carplay will likely be on the road for 10+ years, so I would suggest keeping ports around until wireless carplay has been supported by all cars for several years.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
In an IQ 500 move Apple will likely see a Wired Dongle that allows Super Fast Wired charging just a power cord with a smaller mat you attach to the back of the iPhone in 2022. So 2 years from now.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Fixed it for you. At least the upper-tier models will go UBS-C, soon.

Going completely portless would make charging from accessory power packs impossible - I could actually imagine Apple doing this, but it would be a huge mistake IMO.
People think every big change Apple does is a huge mistake. 30 pin to lightning. Removal of CD drives from computers. Removal of headphone jack, etc. Sometimes we need to let go of the rigid hold we place on familiarity and embrace things that are new. If Apple were to go wireless, power packs would then go wireless. Accessories and peripherals will adapt to fit the market as it changes. Look at the ubiquity of wireless earbuds now compared to 2017. Within 2 years, the market has completely changed with a flood of new manufacturers developing their own wireless earbuds.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
People think every big change Apple does is a huge mistake. 30 pin to lightning. Removal of CD drives from computers. Removal of headphone jack, etc. Sometimes we need to let go of the rigid hold we place on familiarity and embrace things that are new. If Apple were to go wireless, power packs would then go wireless. Accessories and peripherals will adapt to fit the market as it changes. Look at the ubiquity of wireless earbuds now compared to 2017. Within 2 years, the market has completely changed with a flood of new manufacturers developing their own wireless earbuds.

Google does turn up wireless portable battery/powerbank models. I was unaware of these as a product class. So maybe ditching ports completely is actually practical. I'm surprised that it's efficient enough to be practical but things surprise me every day. ;)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I Said it before, it’s a bogus rumor. There’s no way Apple will remove the port less than two years, how would they be able to reboot the iPhone/restore without the lightning port? There’s so many incremental changes that can occur between now and 2021, Kuo is mudslinging at best.

Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
There’s a major issue with going port less on iPhone, i.e operating system restore. If Apple removes all the ports then it will become impossible to interact with the device if the OS freezes or the device becomes unresponsive. For this reason alone I don’t think Apple is going port less any time soon.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Apple and the FBI had a public squabble a few years back. Ultimately the FBI used an Israeli company who use the lightning port to connect to the iPhone and gained access that way.

Now the benefits to Apple Investors and Apple customers of an iPHONE with NO Ports are immeasurable and quite an Upgrade. Yes expensive but a washing machine is more expensive than hand washing your clothes.

Fast Forward 2+ Years from now.

#1. 5G everything
#2. WiFi 6 and WPA 3 everywhere
#3. Solid state Lithium Ion batteries (Double the current battery life)
#4. Much faster wireless charging
#5. Bluetooth 6.0 with HighResolution Audio

A iPhone with no Port no USB-C port is not vulnerable to Hacking or Wired Exploits from FBI or China Hackers etc. It’s also water proof and More reliable the #1. Failure point for 90%+ of phones is the charging Port.
Also no charging Port leaves more room For a larger battery.

More Profitable, No Money Wasted by Apple, by people who use the Wrong Charger, or Warranty claims for Damaged Ports, No wasted money on USB-C componentes or Licensing. Customers will buy more Wireless Earbuds

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
I can see this being SO good when you are using your phone for a few days in the mountains! At the moment a small battery block is useful for watch, phone and even torches - can you even have a portable induction charger? Sometimes the obvious thing - a charging port is best.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I do agree that instead of going USB-C like everybody seems to be wanting, Apple would just remove the port altogether.

Remember the keynote done by Jobs to justify the lack of optical drive for the MacBook Air. Apple could do a similar justification for the no port iPhone.
Charging -> wireless charging
Earbud -> Airpods
Video out -> Airplay
Backup -> iCloud backup
Music -> Apple Music, iTunes WiFi sync.

The only thing left that Apple need to figure out is mechanism for DFU restore without a cable. Thus they need to rework iOS so it is completely self sufficient, having its own recovery partition like Android so it can do recovery without having to connect to iTunes. If Apple can figure this one out, then I’ll embrace the portless iPhone.
[automerge]1575826814[/automerge]
I can see this being SO good when you are using your phone for a few days in the mountains! At the moment a small battery block is useful for watch, phone and even torches - can you even have a portable induction charger? Sometimes the obvious thing - a charging port is best.
There are plenty of powerbanks that have Qi wireless charging built in on them. It’s nothing new.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Yes, you can. You know a product category has become mainstream when Wirecutter does a review on the product category. OTOH, they are slow charging (at least currently; that could change) and inefficient (a lot of energy is lost as heat; not sure how easily that can be changed). I'd far prefer having a port for several reasons but Apple has a history of dragging users kicking and screaming into product configurations that they'd rather not adopt.

There’s a major issue with going port less on iPhone, i.e operating system restore. If Apple removes all the ports then it will become impossible to interact with the device if the OS freezes or the device becomes unresponsive. For this reason alone I don’t think Apple is going port less any time soon.

That shouldn't need to be true - you can do a complete OS restore on Macs via a wifi internet connection. Is there a reason iPhones and iPads couldn't be configured the same way? Just for clarity, I really don't like this idea, but I'm not sure it's fatally flawed, which was my first reaction.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Love Apple products but most of these predictions are at the very least 5 years away not 2. Have to remember how is now vs how they use to be. Again love their stuff but predictions of 2 years away for major changes are just not going to happen in full.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
That shouldn't need to be true - you can do a complete OS restore on Macs via a wifi internet connection. Is there a reason iPhones and iPads couldn't be configured the same way? Just for clarity, I really don't like this idea, but I'm not sure it's fatally flawed, which was my first reaction.

How will you connect to WiFi if the device itself is frozen?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I wonder how many people on this forum (or elsewhere) do wireless charging now? And how many do it all the time? I have never but have thought about buying a wireless charger for my 11 Pro.
For those that do all the time - how many wireless chargers do you have - we all have about a thousand cables and plug in connectors.
How many use wireless headsets?
I guess maybe could do a survey on this forum

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
How will you connect to WiFi if the device itself is frozen?

You'd either need to be able to restart the device with the existing buttons in a way that could not lock up or perhaps configure a physical rather than software power control...or so I guess. These are not insurmountable problems. MacBooks have been like this for years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.