Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which tablet is a better buy?

• Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2019

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • IPad 7th Generation

Votes: 24 96.0%

• Total voters

AppleStart2013

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 6, 2013
Already own an iPad Air 3 that I use as my primary mobile computer, I am looking for a second tablet to keep at home and share amongst the family for netflix/entertainment and music.

The two I am interested in are the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019 edition) for $270 cad ($203 USD) taxes-in or the Apple iPad 10.2 inch 7th generation for $390 cad ($290 USD equiv).

Which is the better deal in your view?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
iPad - I say that as a long-time user/owner of Android devices. I swore I would never buy Apple but now with my 10 and 12.9 Pro's and XS Max phone, I can't see buying another Android device.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Already own an iPad Air 3 that I use as my primary mobile computer, I am looking for a second tablet to keep at home and share amongst the family for netflix/entertainment and music.

The two I am interested in are the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019 edition) for $270 cad ($203 USD) taxes-in or the Apple iPad 10.2 inch 7th generation for $390 cad ($290 USD equiv).

You're already in the Apple ecosystem, so why not get the 7th generation iPad?

Reactions: revmacian

thesim

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
I would definitely go with the iPad as I had the same Samsung tab for a month earlier this year. I ended up selling it as it was very slow and juddery to use, my daughters original air runs better than that did.

Reactions: kltmom

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Depends upon what you want to do with your tablet. Except for the lack of an active stylus, I'm enjoying my Tab A 10.1 (2019) more than my iPad (6th gen, but no different than the 7th)

Performance and build quality are great. The openness of Android vs iOS is the difference. Side-loading apps, full support for USB peripherals, extended displays, full mouse support, etc.

But having said that, if one is wrapped up in the Apple ecosystem or require apps that are exclusive to iOS, then the Tab A is not going to be a good option.

Reactions: Never mind

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I have had Apple iPads and Samsung tablets and IMHO the iPads are a better choice, first off Apple supports their iPads more often and much longer then Samsung, next i was given the Tab A after another Samsung tablet had it's battery get so hot it split the case of the tablet, after many calls and being told out of warranty i threatened to call the US Safety people, then they just fixed to tablet and it again failed with same battery problem, again after many calls and many support putting me on hold and hanging up on me, Samsung offered the Tab A not the same tablet i had and told me take it or get nothing.
Today the Samsung Tab A is just taking up space as i just store a few pictures on it when i need to show them to someone.

With the Apple iPad when i need help i can always get someone at Apple support on phone, and i have never had a quality problem with the many iPads i have owned in past many years.

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
I have owned several android tablets and since went to IPads. The biggest problem I had was that the android tablets stopped getting any kind of updates and became outdated quickly. That was with Samsung and other brand tablets.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have owned several android tablets and since went to IPads. The biggest problem I had was that the android tablets stopped getting any kind of updates and became outdated quickly. That was with Samsung and other brand tablets.

I got around that update issue by rooting and installing custom ROMs - got much better performance and stability that way, too. Having said that, there's not an Android tablet out there that could touch my 2018 12.9 Pro in terms of pure performance. And iOS has a much greater selection of high-quality, sophisticated apps to choose from.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
the chip on the 10.2 is still very good and will last a long time updates wise thats for sure.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Save yourself and don’t buy a Samsung tablet. Not only is Android terrible in the tablet space, Samsung isn’t exactly the best when it comes to software support.

Learned that the hard way when I thought I was getting a “good deal”.

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
iPad most likely. I have used several iPads and nexus tablets. iPad is best for apps and fluidity. My phone is a Note 10 and can’t stand iPhones. iPads however are the best.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The Galaxy Tab A runs an anemic chip and hardware. Add on to the lack of tablet optimized apps on Android, you probably won’t use it as much as you’d think. The only plus side of the Galaxy Tab is that it has a phone function, unlike the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.