Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jogl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Hi all

Looking at getting a new 32" 4k monitor and struggling to decide as there seem to be several decent competitors.
Budget up to a grand. USB-c/Thunderbolt would be nice too.

I work mainly in After effects/creative suite so would love to hear from anyone else with recommendations!
Had a search and can't see too many 4k/32" combo threads.

Budget - £1000 tops.

thanks

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
So I guess you're looking for high/full DCI-P3 coverage right? I can highly recommend the Asus ProArt displays, high DCI-P coverage and best HDR. The LG Ultrafine 5K is also great for 4K since you can see all pixels when editing 4K and still have room for user interface. Only 27 inch though.

jogl

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Yea I really want a 32 as I find the pixel density too high which makes 1080p comps look tiny on screen!
I need decent colour but none of the work I do is super critical colour wise.

I'll check out the Asus ProArt displays. thanks!

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Yes but the Ultrafine 5K renders 2560 x 1440 but with double the pixels so you have way higher amount PPI just like all other retina screens like iPad, iPhone and laptops.

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
I really don’t trust the quality of all these Taiwanese PC brands and even some of Korean brands, sure LG, Samsung make the panel but their monitor products have so many bad issues and their support always sucks always deny or not reply so painful.

I mean for example, I looking at all these current 4K 31.5” displays, flat and curved. I think curved is needed in this size-non curved too much panel is outside the peripheral view range, it is uncomfortable moving head around and the insistent urge to tilt the panel around.

Anyway all the displays currently on market from Samsung, LG, MSI, ASUS and Acer, displays, many of them now have these cheap nasty DC barrel connectors for power. They are tiny little connectors with a tiny single pin inside the display, the weight of the cable hanging cause the pin to loose connection and thus loose power. Difficult to find 3rd party power supply often need compromise to buy pack of cheap DC barrel adapters, just bad bad and piss poor effort cutting costs. These type DC external power packs with DC barrel adapters and only suited to power small devices like external hard drives, not huge displays.

Many not have VESA for monitor arms, many not have even USB ports for keyboard, mouse or USB sticks. I need 3 displays for example, the MacBook Pro 16 inch is the only practical choice for me, it will use 3 USB C for each monitor and 1 for power. No more ports left on MBP so then need displays with USB for the mouse, keyboard and USB drives (input devices for me must always be hard wired always wireless been unreliable).

When you look closely at all the 31.5/32 inch 4K there really is some bad products out there. So many people got issues, screen goes black or connectors fail or DisplayPort refuse to do more than 30hz cos the cable they supply is rubbish, bad light bleed etc

WTF is there only about 3 4K curved displays on the market?? So many different models available in curved for all other sizes except 32 inch.

Anyway so I give up on 4K curved because the models available are all **** cos they all missing VESA, USB, and all have ****** external brick power packs with DC barrel connectors.

Looking at the flat 4K 32 inch, I see only 3 models that tick all the boxes:

EIZO FlexScan EV3285

HP Z32 31.5-inch

Dell U3219Q UltraSharp 32 4K

All have real internal power with solid reliable IEC connectors,
VESA
USB etc

Not reading anywhere near as many issues with these than the PC gamer brands and the Korean brands.

I haven’t done price conversion in Sterling, so not sure if they inside your £1,000 range.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Do any of the non LG displays work as well with the so called pixel doubling. As long as you set the Dell U3219Q to the down res will it work as well as the 5K LG ?

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Hey @drayon I don't know where you're looking but the high-end BenQ and Asus monitors have internal power and reliable IEC connectors. Talking about flat panels since curved panels aren't made for pro photographers and designers. People often compare low-end stuff with high end Apple stuff. And you not trusting these brands... fine, Apple does, their panels come from LG amongst others. I agree, the design and materials are worse but high end NEC, EIZO, Asus, LG and BenQ monitors are good products and better in correct colour reproduction than current Apple products.

Do any of the non LG displays work as well with the so called pixel doubling. As long as you set the Dell U3219Q to the down res will it work as well as the 5K LG ?

Nope, that's the whole benefit of the 5K thing which renders double 2560x1440. So the image is the same as 2560x1440 in terms of size but way sharper. 4K like the U3219Q is 3840x2160 and gives you a 1920x1080 image in terms of size with pixel doubling so especially on a 32" display everything will be huge. That's also why the new Apple 6K will be interesting since it'll give you 3072x1580 in terms of size with pixel doubling.

Crash0veride

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Cincinnati
I'm about to return a LG 32UL950-W. The colors are great (98% DCI-P3) and the light bleed isn't the best on my unit but not too bad. However, personally, after years on the 5k iMac I notice the slightly rough angled/curved edges of icons outside the the native 1080 or 4k resolutions on the 32" (which are way too large and too small). I was considering trying a 27" 4k to see if the extra 30 ppi helps, but am considering the 5k Ultrafien instead now. Another LG option is the 5k2k 34wk95u. It's essentially a 27 4k ppi density UltraWide, so less surface area than a 32", but might better for you and aftereffects work on a timeline. Something to consider.

Steve Jobs.

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
@Crash0veride what did you end up doing for the monitor? I'm facing a similar dilemma here.

I have an LG 27" 4k screen coming soon. I'm a bit nervous to try it out since I'm coming from a 5k iMac. Hope the clarity (esp text) and colors are good enough but I guess we'll see.

blackadde

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
I'm also in the market for a new monitor (or set) for heavy illustration / print design / light video work. I've basically narrowed it down to either a pair of Benq SW321C's (pending some more in-depth reviews) and a single Eizo CG319X / CG279X.

The real question for me, and I suspect other people working in the same space, are basically whether the Eizo is worth the enormous premium to avoid the panel lottery you get from everyone else. The 5-year warranty helps ease my mind a little, at least.

I can't vouch for this company personally - and keep in mind, they're trying to sell you a screen - but the recommendations and comments here more or less track with all the information I've gathered over the last month: https://imagescience.com.au/products/monitors/monitor-recommendations

One thing they touch upon rings very true for me: a high res display can show you more, but a color-accurate display will tell you the truth. Having 4K/6K/8K screens that show you all your scopes and timelines at once is pointless if the image output isn't accurate. In that way, a lower-res but color-accurate screen will allow you to actually produce work (perhaps more painfully, and slower) that you simply won't be able to on a higher-res but less-accurate display.

Mileage may vary depending on what kind of work you need to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Dell UP3216Q

Might exceed your budget slightly, but it's an excellent display. It's in their Premiere Color line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.