Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Alright, it's Friday. I'm game. My 3rd failed attempt at 3D.
Cons: I wanted to make a frog. Too frustrating. Slapped paint all over this, as am wont to do when things don't turn out right.
Pros: 1. We can look up his nose. 2. It didn't explode like all previous attempts at ceramics.

Suggestion: Might be fun to have a contest to design new heads for the twin sphinxes of Amphipolis.

Attachments

• Clearly not a frog.jpg
    Clearly not a frog.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 697
  • And here we can look up its nose.jpg
    And here we can look up its nose.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 703

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm currently working on this:

w8Tslaz.png

It's a red-eyed tree frog bot...but I may keep the eyes yellow, they look pretty evil when they're red.

----------

Alright, it's Friday. I'm game. My 3rd failed attempt at 3D.
Cons: I wanted to make a frog. Too frustrating. Slapped paint all over this, as am wont to do when things don't turn out right.
Pros: 1. We can look up his nose. 2. It didn't explode like all previous attempts at ceramics.

Suggestion: Might be fun to have a contest to design new heads for the twin sphinxes of Amphipolis.

It doesn't look failed to me! I like it.

3D takes some time to learn.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I'm currently working on this:

It's a red-eyed tree frog bot...but I may keep the eyes yellow, they look pretty evil when they're red.

----------

It doesn't look failed to me! I like it.

3D takes some time to learn.

Thank you. Yes, I definitely need to spend more time learning 3D.

I hope you will post an update of your frog robot when it's finished. It reminds me a little of Goro Fujita's robots --although he paints his in 2D Ps, not 3D.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
A render of my nick. I did it in Cinema 4D.

It actually represents the soul and the egos. Everybody has a soul, their light, and the pieces are the egos, the things we learn that "we think we are" later on. And that separate us from the world. Is like when you go to a therapist/ psychologist and you work an issue in your life and then you realize there is another issue underneath. Well, those are the elements floating "egos" things that we think we are.

By the way, I use a light with visible light and fog changing color from white to purple and then depth of field in the camera to give it that blur.

Attachments

• 10151451339096087.jpg
    10151451339096087.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 669

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I am very happy to see other members' work!!

here's a zbrush sculpt screenshots I never got around to finish. Unfortunately, this file has been lost somewhere, so my next sculpt will be from scratch.

physiology was severely lacking anyway, so I am not THAT sad about it. I do have ways to go until a proper body rendition is created.

https://flic.kr/p/oVgmddhttps://www.flickr.com/people/107651264@N04/

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I spent a bit of time trying to wrap my head around Blender, gave up and tried Cheetah 3D instead and made a lot more progress. Here's probably the best one I did, after about a week of going through various beginner modelling tutorials.

Didn't help that I didn't have any sample images so I wasn't actually sure exactly how scales look/fit together, but I was very chuffed with this. 3D modelling was always something I saw as incredibly difficult, so it's nice when you start to see some results - even if they are very basic.

2d78uuw.jpg

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I spent a bit of time trying to wrap my head around Blender, gave up and tried Cheetah 3D instead and made a lot more progress. Here's probably the best one I did, after about a week of going through various beginner modelling tutorials.

Didn't help that I didn't have any sample images so I wasn't actually sure exactly how scales look/fit together, but I was very chuffed with this. 3D modelling was always something I saw as incredibly difficult, so it's nice when you start to see some results - even if they are very basic.

that's impressive!

DarrenUK

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Southampton, UK
These are all great, I am just looking around at various software to get me started in learning 3D rendering. Will be following this great thread and looking forward to seeing more.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
These are all great, I am just looking around at various software to get me started in learning 3D rendering. Will be following this great thread and looking forward to seeing more.

I'm coming from 3DS Max for many years, but after watching these tutorials on Lynda, I am moving to Maya

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Pic of my frog rendered

Heres a picture of my robo-frog rendered. He's not done yet, he has materials but no texturing has been done and his environment isn't finished.

His eyes are not lit up in this picture but they light up yellow normally, and red when he's about to attack.

62588a2054de1673e1f4dec5ec685cf7.jpg

Reactions: SuperHamster

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Heres a picture of my robo-frog rendered. He's not done yet, he has materials but no texturing has been done and his environment isn't finished.

His eyes are not lit up in this picture but they light up yellow normally, and red when he's about to attack.

this should be really fun animated!! will you go for it?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
this should be really fun animated!! will you go for it?

Yep! I suck at rigging so it'll take awhile. I'm UVing him now before I take him into Mari and paint his maps.

This nice 4 day weekend was supposed to be my time to work on 3D but I've been bed-ridden since Friday with a cold from hell :/

I hate not doing anything so I've been UVing between naps haha.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
hi all

take a look on #46 here

So, I've worked today on some measurements, as a first step towards building this in 3D. Calculations are crudely made and explained on the below infographic.

simplified and corrected
https://flic.kr/p/p2SECX https://www.flickr.com/people/107651264@N04/

Last night I rushed a 10 minute model on 3DS, just to get a quick pseudo-feel and some brain juice flowing.
This will be scrapped of course and re-started with better guesstimated measurements; like the such posted above, non-industry standard modelling and everything involved.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.