Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The Ti is based on the same chip as the Titan, like last generation.
My best guess will be. 250W. 12B RAM. 3300 CUDA cores. 1500MHz chip, 1600MHz RAM. Maybe $800

I'm a little more interested in the new AMD Vega chip.

Rumors are it is going to outperform the TitanX in every aspect but this is still all rumors at the moment.

if all that comes out at $800, i think the regular 1080 might come down some in price. hopefully.

i'm not convinced that Vega will be that great. but only time will tell. and if it's anywhere near that performance, AMD has a history of being power-hungry

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
if all that comes out at $800, i think the regular 1080 might come down some in price. hopefully.

i'm not convinced that Vega will be that great. but only time will tell. and if it's anywhere near that performance, AMD has a history of being power-hungry
The new Titan is $200 over the previous model. I'm just guessing $800 which is $150 over the previous TI model. Supposedly March is when we'll see it which release date and pricing.
I am completely fine with reference models or Founder Editions models as I don't care about any new coolers on the cards because I'm just going to put water cooling on it almost immediately anyway.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The new Titan is $200 over the previous model. I'm just guessing $800 which is $150 over the previous TI model. Supposedly March is when we'll see it which release date and pricing.
I am completely fine with reference models or Founder Editions models as I don't care about any new coolers on the cards because I'm just going to put water cooling on it almost immediately anyway.

gotcha. so do you overclock your cards?

also, congrats on 200 million!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well, 1080 Ti all but announced for a late March delivery time.
The wait has been a struggle, to not buy a 1080 or two.

I think 1 - 1080 Ti.
I'm good....

I hope. ...

My wife might be upset next month.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well, 1080 Ti all but announced for a late March delivery time.
The wait has been a struggle, to not buy a 1080 or two.

I think 1 - 1080 Ti.
I'm good....

I hope. ...

My wife might be upset next month.

i hope it's true, and that they are actually shipping next month also (and not sold out everywhere)

you can't stop at 1....you need a matching set! :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
i hope it's true, and that they are actually shipping next month also (and not sold out everywhere)

you can't stop at 1....you need a matching set! :)
Yeah...... that's what I'm afraid of.

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 9.28.38 PM.png

Our # are extremely close.
I may have to do something for 2 of those Ti's.

That #2 spot doesn't come easy it seems.

Reactions: twoodcc

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Yeah...... that's what I'm afraid of.

View attachment 689606

Our # are extremely close.
I may have to do something for 2 of those Ti's.

That #2 spot doesn't come easy it seems.

yes, i've noticed. i feel like my 1080 isn't putting out great numbers, but i don't feel like uninstalling, reinstalling, etc right now. i might have to do that this weekend though

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
yes, i've noticed. i feel like my 1080 isn't putting out great numbers, but i don't feel like uninstalling, reinstalling, etc right now. i might have to do that this weekend though
I've also seen comparison on other forums, one where someone used a 1070 on a pcie2 slot vs a pci3.
Compared number across the exact same project number 5 times on pcie2 and 5 times on pcie3 and when run on the pcie3 slot the card averaged 50,000 PPD more.

While typing this I decided to check on my home pc and FAH had crashed at some point ... great, now my daily average is going to drop :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've also seen comparison on other forums, one where someone used a 1070 on a pcie2 slot vs a pci3.
Compared number across the exact same project number 5 times on pcie2 and 5 times on pcie3 and when run on the pcie3 slot the card averaged 50,000 PPD more.

While typing this I decided to check on my home pc and FAH had crashed at some point ... great, now my daily average is going to drop :)

yeah, but i think mine is more than 50k ppd lower than it should be. granted, i know it changes based on the wu. but still.

that stinks that it crashed on you. but it happens. it seems it happens to me all the time.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i'm going to give linux another try on the new rig. i finally got ubuntu 16.04 installed, it seemed to take forever. currently installing updates. but it seems slow. after all updates are installed, going to try and install fah.

wish me luck

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i could not get fah to install or work properly on ubuntu 16.04. it seems that it's due to python, but i still couldn't get it to work. i'm going to download linux mint and give that a try

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I went through that last year and ended up back in Windows. Hope you have more luck and patience than I did.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i ultimately got fah installed, but never got it to recognize any gpus, so i ended up just going back to windows. but i still can't use the system while folding though, which isn't right. but on well for now

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
well i ultimately got fah installed, but never got it to recognize any gpus, so i ended up just going back to windows. but i still can't use the system while folding though, which isn't right. but on well for now
That is strange, mine was only stuttering a little while watching youtube @1440 while folding. Other than that I don't really notice anything else.
I wonder what it is.

Yeah I had the same issue, I wanted Linux installed quick, easy, set it up and get to folding but the 4-5 variations I tried never worked out for me. I didn't even necessarily want to go back to Windows but everything seemed to work without as much from me.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
That is strange, mine was only stuttering a little while watching youtube @1440 while folding. Other than that I don't really notice anything else.
I wonder what it is.

Yeah I had the same issue, I wanted Linux installed quick, easy, set it up and get to folding but the 4-5 variations I tried never worked out for me. I didn't even necessarily want to go back to Windows but everything seemed to work without as much from me.

yeah, it shouldn't be like that. maybe i'll eventually uninstall and reinstall everything. but not right now. i was already down for too long.

Here is some good guide on how to install the original nVidia driver on Linux and else settings are needed (mainly blacklisting some OpenSource driver).

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=27040

I'm more than happy with minimized CentOS 7; After years on Ubuntu I moved over once 14.10 and 16.x made only trouble.

thanks christian! i tried a few guides like that, but i guess i'm just not that familiar with linux to get it to work. maybe i'll give it another try another day

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i think windows defender might have had something to do with the bad performance while folding. this is my first computer with windows 10. but i turned defender off, so we'll see if that helps.

Reactions: mmomega

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
sigh.

AMD Ryzen 1800X.

It happened.

yeah i heard. at those price-points, maybe intel will finally be forced to keep their prices from continually increasing.

i will say, i think one of my first PC builds, way back in the 2003-2004 timeframe i think, was AMD. it was terrible. i think i've been intel ever since, except for the 4-processor rig i had a couple of years ago for folding, before gpu folding took over.

maybe it's time to give amd another shot....except i just bought a new intel rig, and i won't be buying/building another rig for awhile

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
yeah i heard. at those price-points, maybe intel will finally be forced to keep their prices from continually increasing.

i will say, i think one of my first PC builds, way back in the 2003-2004 timeframe i think, was AMD. it was terrible. i think i've been intel ever since, except for the 4-processor rig i had a couple of years ago for folding, before gpu folding took over.

maybe it's time to give amd another shot....except i just bought a new intel rig, and i won't be buying/building another rig for awhile

I was Intel up until the Athlon XP 1900. It was sometime in 2001 and a GeForce 3 Ti200.
I stayed with AMD up until the Core2Duo 8400 and I haven't looked back since.

I didn't move into the quad core realm until 2013 with the 4770. The 6700K in 2015 and that's where I am currently.

My son is wanting to do his very first computer build this year (probably mid April) so I've been searching either for new parts for him or upgrades for dad.

----------------------

Finally got the home rig back up. I'm out of town and nephew finally came home for a bit so I had him reset and voila everything came back online.
Since Thursday the only folding I had going on was his R9 380 doing about 150k/PPD.
Now I should get back up to 1 - 1.2. Then if I can get that other 980Ti into a machine that'll be another 700k. Fingers crossed for close to 2 mil before the weekend and I'll be gone again.

Last edited:
Reactions: twoodcc

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'll definitely put it on water if I get one.
I use a NZXT Kraken G10 bracket and an AIO Corsair H55 on my cards and after 24hrs of folding the temps stay at 40-43C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.