Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
I'll definitely put it on water if I get one.
I use a NZXT Kraken G10 bracket and an AIO Corsair H55 on my cards and after 24hrs of folding the temps stay at 40-43C.
Yep, I think that's going to be key to getting most performance out of the 1080 TI, much like the Titan X (P).

If you keep the temperatures in check, then the cards boost like crazy. However, getting rid of 250W using the standard air cooled cards is tricky. They just about manage on the 1080s (180W), but will struggle on the Ti.

I'm not sure how well a pair of kraken equipped cards would fit in my cases though, so might well end up with a custom loop...

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yep, I think that's going to be key to getting most performance out of the 1080 TI, much like the Titan X (P).

If you keep the temperatures in check, then the cards boost like crazy. However, getting rid of 250W using the standard air cooled cards is tricky. They just about manage on the 1080s (180W), but will struggle on the Ti.

I'm not sure how well a pair of kraken equipped cards would fit in my cases though, so might well end up with a custom loop...
I have been playing with the idea of a custom loop for a while. The issue I am having trouble dealing with that is the cost of doing business. A custom loop with one GPU and I am easily hitting another $1,000.

This hurts a bit seeing as my son wants to do his first PC build in a few weeks so 1080TI's and custom loops will be put on hold for a while.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
yep! and the prices of 1070 and 1080 came down! so i'm not sure if i want to spend $700 on this, or $350 on a 1070. i mean, will this output double the ppd of a 1070?
I have seen quite a few reports of 1.2-1.4 million PPD on the Titan XP. So the 1080Ti is going to at least match, possibly outperform.
That's just astounding to me that 1 TI will outperform my 2 last gen TI's.

So it seems like the TI should perform pretty much right there with dual 1070's which also puts the wattage right there as well with the TI approx 10 watts more.
[doublepost=1489075894][/doublepost].... sigh.
And new case and custom loop going in this weekend if the case comes in like it is supposed to.
I just won't have the GPU's in that loop at the moment. I am still trying to decide if I want to keep the two 980Ti's in that machine or pick up a single 1080Ti.
That is actually where I am leaning just because I don't want to spend about $300 on GPU water blocks just to possibly pick up a 1080Ti in a month or two then the 980 blocks be a waste.

The hardware so far that I picked up should completely cool a CPU and 2 GPU's though. a 360 and a 240 radiator. Things should definitely be cool and quiet if I stick with one card.

Reactions: twoodcc

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I do, I do.
But I decided last night to just loop in the 980Ti's. Those blocks should be in tomorrow.
The case, reservoir, pump, cpu block is in with the radiators coming later.

I just couldn't justify, right now, $700 plus $135 waterblock plus $40 backplate.
I think I'm going to stick with these cards and then grab the 1180's next year.

Being "somewhat" responsible.

But now the issue is, I don't know if the radiator I ordered is going to be too thick. Hoping not.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Well.
I everything went together it seems.
I have a few minor things to finish but for the most part, it's done.
IMG_1558.jpg

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
1.12 - 1.16mPPD on my 1080Ti under Linux ; not too bad :)
Thanks (sarcasm)
I had talked myself out of getting it.
You're not helping Christian:p Definitely a little bit jealous now.
Is that a completely stock setting GPU? What CPU do you have on that machine as well?

Just asking because I moved the 1070FE to a different computer than has an i5 Skylake vs the i7 I had it on previously, I don't have the CPU folding but the GPU put out much lower PPD on the i5.

That card was producing 600-700,000 avg and is now producing approx 450,000 PPD avg.
The only main difference that stands out to me is 6600k vs 6700k.

Actually, previously the card was water cooled so it stayed around 40C and never hit any form of thermal throttling and it is back to the stock FE cooler now so that could be a possibility.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Ok. I'm hoping my PPD will go back up. After the new build and getting up and going something just wasn't right with one of the 980's. One was outputting 400k while the other was at 40k.

I had played around with modding the GPU bios on both cards and even though both cards were showing they were working and OC'd in PrecisionXOC, one of them wasn't really doing anything.
I ended up putting them back to their stock bios, reinstalling drivers, everything (seemingly) back to normal.

Still that 1080Ti PPD is pretty much what two of my cards are doing. That's just cool to me :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks (sarcasm)
I had talked myself out of getting it.
You're not helping Christian:p Definitely a little bit jealous now.
Is that a completely stock setting GPU? What CPU do you have on that machine as well?

You are welcome ;)

CPU is a i7-2600S; system has both 980Ti and 1080Ti in under CentOS 7. The 980Ti is a stock-overclocked MSI Seahawk and the 1080ti is as stock as NV delivers (bought is via Amazon from a Japanese OEM); to my understanding all FE are the same; the package is different.

Reactions: twoodcc and mmomega

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
1.12 - 1.16mPPD on my 1080Ti under Linux ; not too bad :)

wow! that's awesome!
[doublepost=1489766762][/doublepost]
Ok. I'm hoping my PPD will go back up. After the new build and getting up and going something just wasn't right with one of the 980's. One was outputting 400k while the other was at 40k.

I had played around with modding the GPU bios on both cards and even though both cards were showing they were working and OC'd in PrecisionXOC, one of them wasn't really doing anything.
I ended up putting them back to their stock bios, reinstalling drivers, everything (seemingly) back to normal.

Still that 1080Ti PPD is pretty much what two of my cards are doing. That's just cool to me :)

hope you got it working correctly. that's a sick build! and yes, the 1080Ti is looking tempting...

Reactions: mmomega

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
wow! that's awesome!
[doublepost=1489766762][/doublepost]

hope you got it working correctly. that's a sick build! and yes, the 1080Ti is looking tempting...
Thanks. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, especially with my first time bending PETG. (If you ever do this get an extra tube or two to play around and learn with)
My wife says I should get some purple fluid to put in it and it would be perfect so we'll see :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.