Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dizzy714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Hi,

This might be a dumb question, but, is there a definitive way of knowing which resolution is being streamed on the Apple TV? The reason I ask is because there are iTunes HD codes floating around for certain movie titles, and if I’m correct - an iTunes HD code will not unlock the 4k version of the title when redeemed. If there was a definitive way of checking this would also alleviate any concerns and verify that you may have purchased a code that was claiming to be a 4k code but really was not.

My TV has cast with Dolby Vision support built within, and a simple click of the info button displays the current streamed resolution - which comes in handy when checking to see if the resolution has dropped due to internet issues. Which actually leads me to another question.

Like Netflix will drop resolutions if there is an internet hiccup, does Apple do the same and drop bitrate in the stream periodically? If so, again, is there any definitive way on checking this?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Project Alice

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
This might be a dumb question, but, is there a definitive way of knowing which resolution is being streamed on the Apple TV?
Yes, there is, but only for Mac users, because it requires Xcode to enable developer menu on tvOS

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
The reason I ask is because there are iTunes HD codes floating around for certain movie titles, and if I’m correct - an iTunes HD code will not unlock the 4k version of the title when redeemed.

This is incorrect, as long as the iTunes code is HD it will give you 4K when available.
The only iTunes codes that don’t are SD codes.

Reactions: gtmac

Dizzy714

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Every 1080 iTunes codes I redeemed has unlocked the 4k version for playback as long as the 4k version is available for your iTunes account's country code.
This is incorrect, as long as the iTunes code is HD it will give you 4K when available.
The only iTunes codes that don’t are SD codes.

So I redeemed an HD code on Vudu, which my Movies Anywhere account is connected to in order to unlock it through iTunes. I did not get the 4k playback on iTunes. Verified the resolution/SDR playback by streaming it through AirPlay.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
So I redeemed an HD code on Vudu, which my Movies Anywhere account is connected to in order to unlock it through iTunes. I did not get the 4k playback on iTunes. Verified the resolution/SDR playback by streaming it through AirPlay.

Only applies to direct to iTunes redeems and purchases.
For redemptions in Vudu or MA they have to be specific 4K digital codes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.