Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just now, attempting to edit a post of my own, I kept receiving a message saying "Error 403: Access to this resource is denied".

I'd be grateful if you could tell me what exactly this is, what does it mean and why is it showing here and now?

Additionally: It seems to apply solely in the 'private' section of the forum; I am able to edit my posts in the rest of the forum.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
is this a known issue? All day any link that starts with MacRumors.com is resulting in a Page Not Found error?

Even getting to the homepage from Google? The forum works though.

8E47C5EB-8D98-4B01-AD7B-C772051DA2AD.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I had no issues yesterday or today.

Did you try to clear your cache and/or use a different browser?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wondered (and still wonder) what it is and what has caused this.

I think it may be worth noting that I am only getting that - receiving that message - in the "privates" section of the forum, not the rest of the forum. Now, it did happen again yesterday a few times - but, again, only in the "privates" section, not the general forum.

It happens when I try to edit a post I have written, or let my cursor hover over the "alerts" or "conversations" section, while attempting to obtain access those sections.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wondered (and still wonder) what it is and what has caused this.

I think it may be worth noting that I am only getting that - receiving that message - in the "privates" section of the forum, not the rest of the forum. Now, it did happen again yesterday a few times - but, again, only in the "privates" section, not the general forum.

It happens when I try to edit a post I have written, or let my cursor hover over the "alerts" or "conversations" section, while attempting to obtain access those sections.
The private forum is where it happened to me too. Maybe @Doctor Q or @HexMonkey can investigate it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The private forum is where it happened to me too. Maybe @Doctor Q or @HexMonkey can investigate it.

Well, I'm glad that someone else has had this experience - (not, naturally, on account of the inconvenience, but because it serves as corroboration!) as I was not even sure what it portended.

Anyway, thank you for chiming in.

It seems to be possible to edit those posts after a long absence (i.e. an hour or so) but that message flashed up if I sought to do anything else (such as edit the thing) immediately having posted a post.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And it flashed up again just now when I visited the "privates" section to make a post.

But thank you for your response.

Time to prepare a coffee, and read the papers.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A heads-up: 403 Error and Denial of Service is still coming up large as life and twice as unwelcome when I visit the "Privates" section and attempt to check alerts, or amend a post.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Did you guys deploy an update recently? I mean, I realize there's probably continuous patches, etc., but a 403 issue is very common where there's a large number of files replaced and proper permissions aren't maintained (personally, I'd do a global permissions "reset").

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
^ Thanks for the tip.

There was a problem with the news site that was already addressed, but it may have triggered this problem as a side effect. They're still studying it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just received another 403 - this time, to my surprise - in the Football Thread (when I tried to 'like' a post) in the Community Section which had not happened before now, as every time I had encountered it earlier had occurred in the "privates" section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.