Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naylom11

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2019
Installed! 13” mid 2012. Getting a consistent 300-500+ Mps using various speed tests, with a 500 - 750 Mps Transmit rate. Best test I’ve gotten so far is attached, 560. Installation was a breeze, the only thing is I haven’t added any tape to the underside of the card to hold it in place, but other than that, upgrade was successful!... I’ll continue to test with different Wifi networks

Attachments

• IMG_9335.jpg
    IMG_9335.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_9342.jpg
    IMG_9342.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_9344.jpg
    IMG_9344.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9348.jpg
    IMG_9348.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: trifero

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Installed! 13” mid 2012. Getting a consistent 300-500+ Mps using various speed tests, with a 500 - 750 Mps Transmit rate. Best test I’ve gotten so far is attached, 560. Installation was a breeze, the only thing is I haven’t added any tape to the underside of the card to hold it in place, but other than that, upgrade was successful!... I’ll continue to test with different Wifi networks
Great!

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Hopefully there will be one because i really want to make my Macbooks better.
If you want AC, I repeat, NO alternatives. I know what i´m talking about cause I have searched during years, 4 or 5. @troop231 can tell you the same thing. It took years for him to deliver this solution.

Last edited:

naylom11

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2019
Hey quick question to anyone thats already done the upgrade, did you even bother using tape to secure the card?

And as a side note (just out of pure curiosity), is the broadcom board I'm replacing compatible with any other mac model? The mac mini from that era seems to have the same proprietary board connection. Don't want to stray too far off topic, but if anyone knows if this is true I'd greatly appreciate any info.

Last edited:

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Hey quick question to anyone thats already done the upgrade, did you even bother using tape to secure the card?

And as a side note (just out of pure curiosity), is the broadcom board I'm replacing compatible with any other mac model? The mac mini from that era seems to have the same proprietary board connection. Don't want to stray too far off topic, but if anyone knows if this is true I'd greatly appreciate any info.
I think that card was in Imac. Don´t know the model.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, I'm trying to do some research on it. Would be great to reuse the old card I removed since it is still bt 4.0 enabled

The mac mini Airport card has the same 30 pin connector, but if iirc and @highvoltage12v , the pinout is mirrored or reversed so it won't work.

You can put a piece of packing tape going from the top of the optical drive to the top of the upgrade WiFi card.

Reactions: highvoltage12v

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Yeah, I'm trying to do some research on it. Would be great to reuse the old card I removed since it is still bt 4.0 enabled
It´s complex….

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1904.10600.pdf
[automerge]1575475076[/automerge]
The mac mini Airport card has the same 30 pin connector, but if iirc and @highvoltage12v , the pinout is mirrored or reversed so it won't work.

You can put a piece of packing tape going from the top of the optical drive to the top of the upgrade WiFi card.
Apple´s way-...

naylom11

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2019

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking of doing anyway, but honestly the card sits well as is... I'll add some tape when I have the time ?

And of course... damn, I figure apple would do something like that. Just looking for ways to repurpose the card. Thanks again!

evantagonist

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
@troop231 For starters I want to congratulate you on such a successful endeavour.

Like you, I have been searching for a few years for a solution to the AC wifi limitation but, unfortunately for me, I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as you are. lol

Also unfortunately for me, I am using a mid-2010 A1278 model MBP which has the wifi/bt airport in the display rather than where your innovative product resides. I'm reticent to discard my machine because I have already ug to an SSD, 16GB RAM, and an extra 2TB HDD (where the optical drive used to be). However, I'm experiencing more and more significant interference on the available 5G wifi channels my MBP is capable of accessing on the N systems here in Australia.

I guess I'm wondering if there is any chance (*fingers-crossed*) that you'll ever be turning your attention to a solution for models like mine? It is definitely a product worth paying for but it's simply not within my skillset and all my research has led me only to here. If your answer is "no", I'd rather rip off the bandaid and start planning my eventual exit strategy from what has been an incredibly reliable computer for nearly a decade now.

Sorry for the long post, and many thanks in advance. <3

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
@troop231

I guess I'm wondering if there is any chance (*fingers-crossed*) that you'll ever be turning your attention to a solution for models like mine? It is definitely a product worth paying for but it's simply not within my skillset and all my research has led me only to here. If your answer is "no", I'd rather rip off the bandaid and start planning my eventual exit strategy from what has been an incredibly reliable computer for nearly a decade now.

Sorry for the long post, and many thanks in advance. <3

Hello! As mentioned previously regarding the older MBPs that have the wireless card(s) in the display, it is not possible unfortunately.

evantagonist

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
Hello! As mentioned previously regarding the older MBPs that have the wireless card(s) in the display, it is not possible unfortunately.

Man that's really sad to hear. :(

Okay, potential new tactic then. Can the brain-trust in this thread offer guidance on which MBP model of the range of those this product will work for has the most seamless/effective installation?

It is really important to me to not spend money on the newer apple machines b/c the soldered RAM just makes them future bricks for landfills and my environmental conscience won't permit it. So which used machine should I be acquiring to transfer all my existing upgrades over to, while adding this AC/BT4 gem as well?

From reading all 20 pages in this thread it seems like the 13" models are a challenge, so my preference would probably be for the best recommendations on the 15" series?

I also want to send out a huge separate thank you all those who have shared their awful experiences with the uCard 4 company ... I definitely had that product in my online basket and fighting for a $350AUD refund from over here in Australia was probably gonna be a nightmare.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Man that's really sad to hear. :(

Okay, potential new tactic then. Can the brain-trust in this thread offer guidance on which MBP model of the range of those this product will work for has the most seamless/effective installation?

It is really important to me to not spend money on the newer apple machines b/c the soldered RAM just makes them future bricks for landfills and my environmental conscience won't permit it. So which used machine should I be acquiring to transfer all my existing upgrades over to, while adding this AC/BT4 gem as well?

From reading all 20 pages in this thread it seems like the 13" models are a challenge, so my preference would probably be for the best recommendations on the 15" series?

I also want to send out a huge separate thank you all those who have shared their awful experiences with the uCard 4 company ... I definitely had that product in my online basket and fighting for a $350AUD refund from over here in Australia was probably gonna be a nightmare.

13" MBP is easy with the upgrade since we include a pre-modified bracket that is used to hold the lid down. No cutting necessary :)

evantagonist

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2019
13" MBP is easy with the upgrade since we include a pre-modified bracket that is used to hold the lid down. No cutting necessary :)

So you don't lose the subwoofer or have to make any extra mods anymore? Thanks terrific! I'll admit that, while I did my best to read thoroughly, the information in the thread is pretty voluminous. lol

JB59

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
New York
I have been looking for years, and just stumbled upon this thread. I too placed an order with QuickerTek and waited months (to their credit, they refunded my money immediately when I asked). Count me in for two for my 2012 13" and 2010 17". Also thanks for the advice about updating drivers for Bootcamp. I'll be watching like a hawk!

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I have been looking for years, and just stumbled upon this thread. I too placed an order with QuickerTek and waited months (to their credit, they refunded my money immediately when I asked). Count me in for two for my 2012 13" and 2010 17". Also thanks for the advice about updating drivers for Bootcamp. I'll be watching like a hawk!
I understand you. As I said before, it´s something that many of us have been looking for years. There is no alternative. I sent a question to Quickertek about his module, and never received an answer. I simply believe it doesn´t exists. Pay attention, cause the modules are sold in hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.