Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
My iPhone 5 hectors me several times a day to update to 9.3.2. Whatever I'm doing, i have to stop it and go through several steps to make it go away, then it comes back a couple hours later.

How do i shut it up?

Considering how much 9.3, then 9.3.1, screwed up my phone, I do not want to update to 9.3.2 until and unless I get reports that it won't make my phone even worse.

It's as if Apple wants me to switch to Android.

Reactions: Altis and g75d3

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Usually I wait to update although the nagging got to be a bit too much this time. I caved in and updated, bugs and all. Thankfully my iPhone 6S Plus is my secondary phone that rides in my laptop bag.

My primary smartphone is a Stellar, Fast Fun and Super Reliable Nexus 6P.

If Apple would (notice I didn't say "could" since Apple's more than capable) put their money where their mouth is... and deliver a bug free iOS experience, I'd be one of their biggest advocates.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you. I just did it.

I am annoyed that it got there. I did not authorize its download. I hope it didn't waste my cellular data.
iOS updates can download automatically when the device is plugged in and has a Wi-Fi connection.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
iOS updates can download automatically when the device is plugged in and has a Wi-Fi connection.

Thanks for the info.

Hmmmm. I thought I had turned that off, but now I can't find a control for it.

Can I turn it off?

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
You can install an Apple TV beta profile which makes the device look for Apple TV updates for iOS, that'll never happen so it'll never bug you with updates.

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Not a fan of this nagging when it comes to updates, that is Windows 10 level trolling that I wasn't expecting from an Apple product. It also nags me a few times a day on my 5S, and when I say click "remind me later" or whatever it is it asks me for my password and basically says "okay we'll do it at midnight then". Uh, no, you won't. And stop bugging me.

I deleted the update from storage settings but we'll see how long it'll be before it redownloads it and starts the nagging anew.

Conspiracy theory: Are they trying to rush some planned obsolescence on older devices because new iPhone sales are slipping or something?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not a fan of this nagging when it comes to updates, that is Windows 10 level trolling that I wasn't expecting from an Apple product. It also nags me a few times a day on my 5S, and when I say click "remind me later" or whatever it is it asks me for my password and basically says "okay we'll do it at midnight then". Uh, no, you won't. And stop bugging me.

I deleted the update from storage settings but we'll see how long it'll be before it redownloads it and starts the nagging anew.

Conspiracy theory: Are they trying to rush some planned obsolescence on older devices because new iPhone sales are slipping or something?
They are making it easier for people to install updates as they have always done.

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
It's gradually getting more and more pushy and I don't like it. A one time pop-up and a red badge on Settings is enough. Now your only options are "now or later" and if you click later it asks you for a password and pushes a midnight update on you. Thankfully you can cancel at that stage but how long before they take that option away or go with mandatory updates that you can't opt out of?

Not since iOS5 launch have I updated iOS on day one. I take my time and research every iOS update on this forum and how it runs on my particular iPhone before updating. I also like retaining an older iOS on an older device as to keep it from slowing down. I fear Apple is going to go the Win10 way very soon and force updates on every iPhone whether you want to or not, and you could wake up with a new iOS on your device doing who knows what to its functionality.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012

They're just trying to pad their statistics to look good when it comes to those "Android users are fragmented" & Windows OS users.

It also tells me to update to El Capitan but on a lesser extent...like every few days. There isn't an option for No, just Not now or Details.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
... It's gradually getting more and more pushy and I don't like it. A one time pop-up and a red badge on Settings is enough. Now your only options are "now or later" and if you click later it asks you for a password and pushes a midnight update on you. Thankfully you can cancel at that stage but how long before they take that option away or go with mandatory updates that you can't opt out of?

Slightly better than Windows 10. It will show a dialog box asking "update now" or "later". If you click later, it will auto update later at the OS's choice of time (you gave it permission by clicking later). If you wanted to not update, you were suppose to click the x in the top corner of the dialog box lol. That is like those fake dialog boxes that are web ads.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Slightly better than Windows 10. It will show a dialog box asking "update now" or "later". If you click later, it will auto update later at the OS's choice of time (you gave it permission by clicking later). If you wanted to not update, you were suppose to click the x in the top corner of the dialog box lol. That is like those fake dialog boxes that are web ads.
If you choose later you can then choose to do it overnight or some other point or just to remind you later and not install.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
They're just trying to pad their statistics to look good when it comes to those "Android users are fragmented" & Windows OS users.

Just for fun, I just booted and put to use my old iPod touch. It maxed out at 5.1.1. I still use it as an iPod, and for occasional mail and texting duties.

It also tells me to update to El Capitan but on a lesser extent...like every few days. There isn't an option for No, just Not now or Details.

I turned off "Automatically check for updates."

System preferences > Software update > Automatically check for updates > uncheck

So far so good.

I'm on 10.8.5. I've found that updates generally don't go well, so I haven't updated this computer any further yet, and may never.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just for fun, I just booted and put to use my old iPod touch. It maxed out at 5.1.1. I still use it as an iPod, and for occasional mail and texting duties.

I turned off "Automatically check for updates."

System preferences > Software update > Automatically check for updates > uncheck

So far so good.

I'm on 10.8.5. I've found that updates generally don't go well, so I haven't updated this computer any further yet, and may never.

You may have to update your computer to 10.9+ in order to use an iOS device with iOS 10 on it. Based on past years, the OS X required goes up with the newest version of iOS because it requires a new iTunes. iOS 8 required iTunes 11.2 which worked on 10.6.8, iOS 9 made a huge jump to 10.8.5.

I don't understand why people are so anti-update. I have never had an update on any Apple device that was catastrophic and made the device completely unusable. Bugs, of course! But nothing that stopped me from completing a task. And this includes Betas as well.

Reactions: Agit21

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
... I don't understand why people are so anti-update. I have never had an update on any Apple device that was catastrophic and made the device completely unusable. Bugs, of course! But nothing that stopped me from completing a task. And this includes Betas as well.

Maybe it is because the Apple experience is not consistent (Apple lottery). When it works, it is great, but when it doesn't, the only suggestion from "Amber" always seems to be restore from new.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe it is because the Apple experience is not consistent (Apple lottery). When it works, it is great, but when it doesn't, the only suggestion from "Amber" always seems to be restore from new.
As opposed to other experiences from anywhere else?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's more consistent than not. We are on a forum where every single person comes to complain. I guarantee you over 95% of people don't experience issues. Just the 5% that do come here and make a scene. No one ever makes a thread saying how everything is working great. Someone always has to find something to complain about even if it's a nonissue just to make some noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.