Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
SoftwareUpdate_zpskytzuffo.jpg

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

You keep posting this one thread, that has a couple dozen posts. Its rather a small thread compared to all the threads about iOS 9. Therefore, the chances that something goes wrong are relatively small, especially considering you don't see more threads like that. Whenever there is a tiny probably, 5 threads pop-up about the same topic. Considering there are not many about iPhone 5 problems, I think you are making it out to be a bigger deal than it is. As I have stated earlier, you are already at 9.3, going to 9.3.2 isn't going to make things worse, but perhaps it could actually improve. 9.3.2 is extremely stable.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Nothing worse than someone assuming we all have the top-of-the-line devices that will run whatever you throw at it. Some of us keep our phones for years and need them to run good long-term. It's no secret some of these updates turn older devices into frozen molasses.

And maybe people just want the freedom to control what and when they install on their devices out of principal, and not be told "just do what they say and shut up".

I want the update when I'm good and ready, and not a second sooner. Don't turn your nose up at those of us who don't blindly update the second something new comes around.

It doesn't matter. When there are updates available, your devices should be updated. Sometimes there are tradeoffs. These decisions are made by people far more qualified than the user.
[doublepost=1464268070][/doublepost]
So what? You think thats a reason not to update? You think any ill effect ever is a reason not to update?
You have not outsmarted the dev team. All you have done is tried to exercise what little control over your device you (think you) have.

Pretty soon Apple will just forcibly update your devices overnight, which they planned to do in iOS 9 but pussed out and went much tamer than originally planned.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
It doesn't matter. When there are updates available, your devices should be updated. Sometimes there are tradeoffs. These decisions are made by people far more qualified than the user.
[doublepost=1464268070][/doublepost]
So what? You think thats a reason not to update? You think any ill effect ever is a reason not to update?
You have not outsmarted the dev team. All you have done is tried to exercise what little control over your device you (think you) have.

Pretty soon Apple will just forcibly update your devices overnight, which they planned to do in iOS 9 but pussed out and went much tamer than originally planned.

Are you being ironic?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Are you being ironic?
I believe the word you are looking for is sarcastic, not ironic.

No one is going to force you to update, but the device should be updated as updates are made available. I much rather lose some performance of my device to make sure I have all the latest security updates. As the person you quoted stated, there are always going to be trade offs.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
You keep posting this one thread, that has a couple dozen posts. Its rather a small thread compared to all the threads about iOS 9. Therefore, the chances that something goes wrong are relatively small, especially considering you don't see more threads like that. Whenever there is a tiny probably, 5 threads pop-up about the same topic. Considering there are not many about iPhone 5 problems, I think you are making it out to be a bigger deal than it is. As I have stated earlier, you are already at 9.3, going to 9.3.2 isn't going to make things worse, but perhaps it could actually improve. 9.3.2 is extremely stable.

As evidenced by that thread that I started, my experience with updating the OS of my Apple devices is generally poor, phone or computer. The updates generally break more than they fix or add.

Updating to 9.3.0 has made this phone work far worse than it did under 8.x. The phone now crashes several times per day, bogs down on a regular basis, freezes from time to time, and more, all things that it never did before. This was a direct result of the update.

9.3.1 may be slightly worse than 9.3.0; definitely it was not a significant improvement.

Why should I think that 9.3.2 will be any better? It could make things even worse. Past experience suggests that this will be so.

In the meantime, at least 9.3.2 hasn't been forced onto my device another time, at least yet. Maybe the third time deleting it was the charm.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
As evidenced by that thread that I started, my experience with updating the OS of my Apple devices is generally poor, phone or computer. The updates generally break more than they fix or add.

Updating to 9.3.0 has made this phone work far worse than it did under 8.x. The phone now crashes several times per day, bogs down on a regular basis, freezes from time to time, and more, all things that it never did before. This was a direct result of the update.

9.3.1 may be slightly worse than 9.3.0; definitely it was not a significant improvement.

Why should I think that 9.3.2 will be any better? It could make things even worse. Past experience suggests that this will be so.

In the meantime, at least 9.3.2 hasn't been forced onto my device another time, at least yet. Maybe the third time deleting it was the charm.

I just fully read the thread. You appear to be the only person in there that has posted about a problem. There are 100s of million of iOS/OSX devices across the globe. You are talking about a tiny, tiny, tiny percent, maybe not even 1% that experience issues that you are describing. Otherwise there would be posts all around complaining about the issues. I don't feel like rereading your entire thread here. But have you once did a restore as new? Your other thread doesn't mention it at all. Restoring as new without a backup can fix a whole bunch of weird issues.

Reactions: Agit21

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I believe the word you are looking for is sarcastic, not ironic.

No one is going to force you to update, but the device should be updated as updates are made available. I much rather lose some performance of my device to make sure I have all the latest security updates. As the person you quoted stated, there are always going to be trade offs.

I meant "ironic." I was asking if the person meant the opposite of what was typed.

"Sarcastic" is also plausible.

Your point re security updates is valid; that's why I made the update to 9.3.0 in the first place.

However, destabilizing the device and making it far less usable is a nasty tradeoff for improved security.

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I just fully read the thread. You appear to be the only person in there that has posted about a problem. There are 100s of million of iOS/OSX devices across the globe. You are talking about a tiny, tiny, tiny percent, maybe not even 1% that experience issues that you are describing. Otherwise there would be posts all around complaining about the issues. I don't feel like rereading your entire thread here. But have you once did a restore as new? Your other thread doesn't mention it at all. Restoring as new without a backup can fix a whole bunch of weird issues.

I did try it, thanks. No effect.

(In order to complete this message, i had to reboot my MacBook Pro. Typing this message had slowed to such a crawl that I would type a sentence, then wait thirty seconds for the words to slowly appear on the screen. I last rebooted the computer last night. So my iPhone is not the only device that has been bitten by an upgrade that slowed it down.)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I did try it, thanks. No effect.

(In order to complete this message, i had to reboot my MacBook Pro. Typing this message had slowed to such a crawl that I would type a sentence, then wait thirty seconds for the words to slowly appear on the screen. I last rebooted the computer last night. So my iPhone is not the only device that has been bitten by an upgrade that slowed it down.)
If you have to restart your macbook pro to write a sentence, there is clearly a bigger issue at hand. That is not because of a software update.

I have a 2012 Base 11" MBA with El Cap. No issues. I also have a 2011 Base 21.5 iMac with El Cap, again, no issues. Both old computers to be running El Cap.

Reactions: Agit21

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
If you have to restart your macbook pro to write a sentence, there is clearly a bigger issue at hand. That is not because of a software update.

I have a 2012 Base 11" MBA with El Cap. No issues. I also have a 2011 Base 21.5 iMac with El Cap, again, no issues. Both old computers to be running El Cap.

*sigh*

I am clearly doing a poor job of explaining my experience.

Let me try this:

• I buy this computer. It runs a certain way out of the box.
  • I upgrade the memory. It immediately runs better.
  • I update the OS. It immediately runs worse.
  • I update the OS again. It immediately runs worse.
  • Etc.
  • I stopped updating the OS. It has run about the same since then.

It did not run worse after each update. However, it never ran better after an update. It was either a wash, or worse.

I did have the upgraded memory checked -- it's fine.

Reactions: crashnburn

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
*sigh*

I am clearly doing a poor job of explaining my experience.

Let me try this:

• I buy this computer. It runs a certain way out of the box.
  • I upgrade the memory. It immediately runs better.
  • I update the OS. It immediately runs worse.
  • I update the OS again. It immediately runs worse.
  • Etc.
  • I stopped updating the OS. It has run about the same since then.

It did not run worse after each update. However, it never ran better after an update. It was either a wash, or worse.

I did have the upgraded memory checked -- it's fine.

I'm assuming you haven't taken any of these devices to Apple to have them checked out? My iMac on El Cap is 10x better than Yosemite.

At this point I'm pretty much going to leave it be. You are clearly against updates. No matter what the experience of others are. The vast supermajority don't have problems you describe. So it's either your really bad luck or defective devices that are dying on you.

Last edited:

cbsnbiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
I'm assuming you haven't taken any of these devices to Apple to have them checked out? My iMac on El Cap is 10x better than Yosemite.

I have. I had the battery replaced in the iPhone at an Apple Store (before updating to 9.3.x), and I had a warranty hardware repair done on the MacBook Pro.

However, I have not had a chance to go to the Apple Store since updating the iPhone to 9.3.x.

Even so, each time that I pointed out that the device worked worse after an OS update, the advice was to…do another OS update.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
https://oldcat.me/web/NOOTA9.mobileconfig
Click that link from your Device :)
FYI: If you ever want to remove it, remove it from your certifications.

EDIT: Just in case you don't know what this does: This installs the tvOS (Apple TV 4) program which makes the Device check for a tvOS update for your device, obviously this will never happen so it just displays as no updates available. You can easily remove this in case you want to update. This certificate is from Apple so there will be NO harm to your device, good luck :)
I just did that and I got a blank page after some time & then safari closed. How do I verify that it got installed?

Also, how can I make/ keep this file myself for future use? Maybe on a local server? Can I just download and keep this one?

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Yup, download it from your computer (just did it and can confirm it is still there) and put it on your own server for your own use. :)

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Yup, download it from your computer (just did it and can confirm it is still there) and put it on your own server for your own use. :)
I saved a copy to Disk. But when I try and download it on iPhone via Safari, safari hangs and crashes and eventually I am not sure if it got installed or not.
How/ where can I check if it got installed? What would that look like (hidden somewhere)?

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
I saved a copy to Disk. But when I try and download it on iPhone via Safari, safari hangs and crashes and eventually I am not sure if it got installed or not.
How/ where can I check if it got installed? What would that look like (hidden somewhere)?
What version of iOS are you on? I am on 9.3.1 and it works perfectly.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
What version of iOS are you on? I am on 9.3.1 and it works perfectly.

Same. I think it might have to do with me having installed some other developer/ enterprise certificates - But maybe those are different things altogether; i.e. App Certificates v/s OS OTA stuff?

Isn't there a place within the iPhone Settings or using some Tool that I can check for this having gotten installed? How do you verify? In your case what kind of "UI response" did you have when you downloaded this config via Safari?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Given what happens on a cell phone these days, you'd have to be a grade A moron not to keep it up to date

Or switch to an inferior platform that never gets security updates at all

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Given what happens on a cell phone these days, you'd have to be a grade A moron not to keep it up to date

Or switch to an inferior platform that never gets security updates at all

Oh.. yes there are plenty of us Grade A morons who:
- Jailbreak
- Choose to stay on less Buggy Stabler versions - Tons of examples of Windows/ MS and other companies goofing up Releases.. Sophos Security/ UTM company and their new XG releases are LESS liked than previous ones.. By SECURITY and NETWORKING pros..
- Just prefer for kinks to get ironed out before "choosing" to update

And that's a nice way to bad mouth someone without know anything about them. You must be a god of security

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Oh.. yes there are plenty of us Grade A morons who:
- Jailbreak
- Choose to stay on less Buggy Stabler versions - Tons of examples of Windows/ MS and other companies goofing up Releases.. Sophos Security/ UTM company and their new XG releases are LESS liked than previous ones.. By SECURITY and NETWORKING pros..
- Just prefer for kinks to get ironed out before "choosing" to update

And that's a nice way to bad mouth someone without know anything about them. You must be a god of security

I'll try to say this without sounding mean this time... Some people don't want to update. Get over it, your wasting your time arguing with stubborn people who wont update (like myself).
If you don't like that, fine, ok, no need to call people 'Grade A morons' for it.
Your second point, cannot argue with that.
Your third point is just... What is wrong with waiting for the issues to get fixed before you update? Why would you update if its all buggy, you argue about that in your second point but your third point is the opposite of the second point? And yes, people "choose" to update because it is their device, the world can live without people updating, and without people like you arguing about it.

Oh yeah, "god of security"? I don't really care for security, check out the people on Android, they hardly ever get "hacked", and they probably are "Grade A morons" for having an Android device to you.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why is the discussion about why to get or not to get an update when that's not what the thread is about? :confused:

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
Is there some way I can check if I was able to get that ATV thing installed? How do I check on my phone?
Same. I think it might have to do with me having installed some other developer/ enterprise certificates - But maybe those are different things altogether; i.e. App Certificates v/s OS OTA stuff?

Isn't there a place within the iPhone Settings or using some Tool that I can check for this having gotten installed? How do you verify? In your case what kind of "UI response" did you have when you downloaded this config via Safari?

Rekan - I hope you do realize I am in support of you and wrote this semi sarcastic note against Mike's statement?
He was calling us Grade A Morons.. And I said.. yes we are grade A morons (sarcastically accepting his comment).. who AVOID being forced to updated and choose to update when BUGs have been ironed out.

I'll try to say this without sounding mean this time... Some people don't want to update. Get over it, your wasting your time arguing with stubborn people who wont update (like myself).
If you don't like that, fine, ok, no need to call people 'Grade A morons' for it.
Your second point, cannot argue with that.
Your third point is just... What is wrong with waiting for the issues to get fixed before you update? Why would you update if its all buggy, you argue about that in your second point but your third point is the opposite of the second point? And yes, people "choose" to update because it is their device, the world can live without people updating, and without people like you arguing about it.

Oh yeah, "god of security"? I don't really care for security, check out the people on Android, they hardly ever get "hacked", and they probably are "Grade A morons" for having an Android device to you.

Rekan_

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Is there some way I can check if I was able to get that ATV thing installed? How do I check on my phone?

Rekan - I hope you do realize I am in support of you and wrote this semi sarcastic note against Mike's statement?
He was calling us Grade A Morons.. And I said.. yes we are grade A morons (sarcastically accepting his comment).. who AVOID being forced to updated and choose to update when BUGs have been ironed out.

I then apologise haha, this Mike person sure seems to think he speaks for Apple, but he is just speaking for himself, its out choice to update or not :)

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I then apologise haha, this Mike person sure seems to think he speaks for Apple, but he is just speaking for himself, its out choice to update or not :)
Well.. :) Anyways, can you tell me the following..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.