Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Has anyone else noticed this new and disturbing trend in online advertising? I call it "forced speed-reading".

This seems a very new technique - I've first noticed it only within the past month. But perhaps that's just because it's just landed big-time in mainstream online news media. Specifically, it's invaded my morning read of CNN and Huffington Post using each outlet's iOS apps.

You are reading a news article. Perhaps you are distracted for a bit (I tend to read morning news while also watching a local "morning show" on TV). Or you simply want to take your time to read carefully, or study a chart or graphic, etc.

And then it happens - the unwanted and unasked-for full-page popup ad. You close the ad and continue reading. And .... boom! There it is again!

I honestly can't tell you if it is typically the same ad again or a different one. I find this so offensive and disturbing that I just by reflex close it immediately. I wonder how effective these ads really are? Who would NOT be offended? This is a case where I HOPE I am subconsciously absorbing something from these ads that are seemingly completely unmemorable to me. My hope is that that I AM remembering the name of the company or product, and will avoid it in the future!

So, now, we are forced to speed-read news articles, and/or just skim the first couple of paragraphs.

This is disturbing beyond simple annoyance. I worry about how such intrusive techniques will affect our ability to learn and absorb information. It is particularly disturbing because it suggests that (at least some of) mainstream media now seem to clearly and transparently value delivering an advertising message above delivering news.

Have you noticed this yourself? If so, where? When did you first notice it?

What can we do to halt this trend? I think there's one thing we can do, and that is to bring it to the attention of
Apple and urge them to ban the practice. This doesn't seem a very "Apple-like" behavior, and Apple could update their rules for apps to ban this technique. Maybe this has been happening on websites for some time - I wouldn't have noticed because I get most/all of my written news from iPad apps.

While Apple doesn't control the web, they DO control the App Store. Apple could elevate themselves by putting their foot down.

I suspect that some sharp lawyers noticed a gaping hole in the App Store agreement (maybe a recent change in rules that had an unintended effect?), and/or media execs decided to just beg forgiveness rather than ask permission. I wonder how long it will take for Apple to notice and change the rules?

In any case, PLEASE make your opinion known, if this disturbs you as it does me! Please write Apple and indicate your disapproval and ask that Apple disallow this within iOS apps.

P.S. I realize this discussion is likely to eventually drift into PIR. But let's see if we can keep it here at least for a bit to give the issue broader exposure. I'm particularly interested in discovering how wide-spread this is, if I am correct in my assessment that this is a "new thing", any links to observations/analysis as those who follow and analyze media itself surely must have noticed?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, I have noticed this exceptionally annoying trend, too, and it makes reading an article a challenge and nuisance, both.

Actually, not only do I not notice the ad (other than it is infuriating and annoying), but - worse - I find it difficult to concentrate (let alone recall) on the content of the actual article, also, as I keep getting distracted by these obnoxious intrusive and interfering ads.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
You need an ad blocker.
The pop ups, ads which dance across the screen etc, are run from scripts that are exterior to the site but embedded in it.
An ad blocker -one which blocks scripts- should be able to get rid of those for you and if it's a favourite site, you may well be able to spend a bit of time configuring it to let some less annoying ads through to allow the site to get a bit of money but get rid of the pop ups.
There are loads of ad blockers, some work well on some sites os a particular OS but not others. There are plenty of recommendations.
I like 'Better' and on the phone and ipad you can install Firefox focus and that install a content blocker you can use. There's also U block origin that works well
But also 'Cookie' that blocks and removes tracking cookies can help, also Ducduckgo privacy essentials can help.
I use a variety and I don't often have that sort of problem
Afterthought: you might try 'reader view' It's usually left of the padlock as a series of bars on Safari. That might well help too.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
And adding to the frustration is the “X“ to cancel is grayed out / low profile so I have to search all over to find it. ?

Kinda like the CHP using low profile cars to make them difficult to spot. ? ?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You need an ad blocker.
The pop ups, ads which dance across the screen etc, are run from scripts that are exterior to the site but embedded in it.
An ad blocker -one which blocks scripts- should be able to get rid of those for you and if it's a favourite site, you may well be able to spend a bit of time configuring it to let some less annoying ads through to allow the site to get a bit of money but get rid of the pop ups.
There are loads of ad blockers, some work well on some sites os a particular OS but not others. There are plenty of recommendations.
I like 'Better' and on the phone and ipad you can install Firefox focus and that install a content blocker you can use. There's also U block origin that works well
But also 'Cookie' that blocks and removes tracking cookies can help, also Ducduckgo privacy essentials can help.
Afterthought: you might try 'reader view' It's usually left of the padlock as a series of bars on Safari. That might well help too.

I already use ABP; what else would you recommend?

And adding to the frustration is the “X“ to cancel is grayed out / low profile so I have to search all over to find it. ?

Kinda like the CHP using low profile cars to make them difficult to spot. ? ?

Yes, agreed: Having to hunt for that microscopic greyed-out "x" which usually requires several attempts before you can cull the offending ad is an added inconvenience.

And, the fact that they flicker or have a stream of video; I suffer from migraines, and those flickering images really irritate and antagonise me

Reactions: Gutwrench

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I already use ABP; what else would you recommend?
I use uMatrix. Not only does it allow fine-grain control of blocking scripts, ads and analytics from third party sites, you can use it to block images or CSS or media, etc.

Years ago, ABP had a memory leak. Not a huge issue on modern Macs, but a big problem on the old PowerPC Macs I use. I've never gone back to it because uMatrix is a cross between ABP and NoScript and therefore does the job of two addons/plugins.

An alternative is uBlock Origin, which is just the part of uMatrix that blocks ads.

All this said, not sure how any of it works in Safari or any browsers other than FireFox, Opera or Chrome. I don't use Safari, so if you are using that it may not be available for it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I use uMatrix. Not only does it allow fine-grain control of blocking scripts, ads and analytics from third party sites, you can use it to block images or CSS or media, etc.

Years ago, ABP had a memory leak. Not a huge issue on modern Macs, but a big problem on the old PowerPC Macs I use. I've never gone back to it because uMatrix is a cross between ABP and NoScript and therefore does the job of two addons/plugins.

An alternative is uBlock Origin, which is just the part of uMatrix that blocks ads.

All this said, not sure how any of it works in Safari or any browsers other than FireFox, Opera or Chrome. I don't use Safari, so if you are using that it may not be available for it.

Thanks; very much appreciated.

Reactions: eyoungren

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You need an ad blocker.
Then you’ll get a boohoo message, you are blocking our ad revenue, or more drastically, the site won’t work until you turn off ad blocking. Sometimes browser read mode does work.

If you want an actual case of forced speed reading it’s when some networks, make the credits at the end of a show fly by and worse when they put them into a little box while the next show is starting. No, I don’t normally read credits, but sometimes if I want to check an actors name, that becomes impossible. Anyway they do this to meet a requirement, but basically have nullified the display of post movie credits. Usually if I want to know an actors name, I look it up at IMDB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.