Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
Italy
I still using my mac mini 2007 (Snow Leopard) to convert my CDs to AAC with the wonderful XLD application

I realized that unlike other codecs like LAME witch is updated to the latest version,
AAC encoder apparently still rely on QuickTime 7.6.6 and CoreAudio of my OS (as I read in the preference pane)
Am I wrong?

if not,
Is (Apple) AAC codec still developed today?
There's a way to update the the codec-itself on older OSs?

Thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I still using my mac mini 2007 (Snow Leopard) to convert my CDs to AAC with the wonderful XLD application

I realized that unlike other codecs like LAME witch is updated to the latest version,
AAC encoder apparently still rely on QuickTime 7.6.6 and CoreAudio of my OS (as I read in the preference pane)
Am I wrong?

if not,
Is (Apple) AAC codec still developed today?
There's a way to update the the codec-itself on older OSs?

Thanks

AAC is definitely still Apple's preferred audio codec. Used for anything on Apple Music, standard encoding for GarageBand, Logic, Final Cut and so on. But whether it's really changed or even had to change in those years I don't know. If it's perfect there's no need to mess with it. Pretty sure you can't update it on an old OS though. It's considered a core part of the OS. You might be able to backport something from a newer OS X, but it's not guaranteed to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.