Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp_tec

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
I'll try and capture this when it happens. It happens very infrequently, and I think it has only ever happened within a few minutes of coming out of sleep mode. (Put laptop to sleep, put in Timbuk2 bag, go to work, take out laptop, open up screen and it comes out of sleep...wait a few minutes and observe unexpected color temperature occurring that settles out within a minute or so.)

I'm having the exact same issue, I posted a thread on the apple communities forum here
Maybe we can all log our details here and try to get Apple to investigate.

I have all of the power saving features switched off, MBP 15" 2017
It went to apple and had a logic board changed.. still have the same issue..

bp_tec

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same exact issue and it's most apparent when I'm working on something with a white background, for example writing a paper in Pages/Word or browsing the web.

It goes from what seems like pure white to sort of pink-ish in an instant. I do not have Night Shift turned on and I don't use f.lux, I know what those are and I am positive that this is not the issue.

I've had this happen randomly and I also cannot duplicate it, which makes me fear what'll happen if I take it in for service.

I have other issues with the MBP as it is, including a random loud popping sound coming from the aluminum body near the hinge, the trackpad glitching when it's cold, and the B key on my keyboard typing double randomly despite me having cleaned it with compressed air over and over after this started happening.

Hey did you ever get you issue with the color tint resolved?
I just had my logic board change but still have the same issue: see here

donglewhine

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Same machine, same issue. It suddenly turns to a slight yellowish tone, but the difference is barely noticeable. It does't bother me much, except it might indicate something's wrong with the GPU. Seems completely random.

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Yep - also have this issue as well. I've tried to isolate what causes it but have yet to figure it out. It's not a huuuge annoyance per se, but would like to know if something is actually awry.

Side note: when waking from sleep, do any of you get a flash of a green screen before your lockscreen comes up?

Alkhafaji

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2018
Yep - also have this issue as well. I've tried to isolate what causes it but have yet to figure it out. It's not a huuuge annoyance per se, but would like to know if something is actually awry.

Side note: when waking from sleep, do any of you get a flash of a green screen before your lockscreen comes up?
[doublepost=1529015709][/doublepost]I just started having the same colour shift issue on my MacBook Pro 2016 none touch, no issue for the first 15 months of daily use, other than keyboard. today I noticed exactly what most of you have described above, I started searching for a solution but everything I found was talking about a SW solution. I don't believe this is a SW problem, it is 100% a HW problem and to confirm this I did the following test: try and hold the display from the top corners left and right and gently torque the display by pulling your left hand and pushing your right hand. this replicates the issue and makes the display to become pink , and if you do the opposite i.e. push with the left and pull with the right, the display turns white. also the issue is more pronanouced in certain display angle i.e. 90 degrees. To me this looks like a HW issue. try and let us know. attached photos of each state.

Update: I have noticed if you move the mouse the issue stops and once you stop moving the mouse pointer for about 3 sec the issue is back.

Attachments

• 20180615_013944.jpg
    20180615_013944.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 935
  • 20180615_013946.jpg
    20180615_013946.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:

bp_tec

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Maybe there are 2 similar issues here.. one HW related and the other Software.. The reason I say this is simply because I have been working on this issue for sometime now...

After getting all of my HW changed and still having the same problem, it became evident that the issue I was having was OS related. That problem can be replaced by changing your screen temp, to 7600. and the screen to sleep after 1 minute.

Allow the system to sleep, then close the screen down and leave like this for around 10 minutes... upon waking, simply working on the system, the temperature hue will suddenly change. (it can take up too 10 minutes to happen, but it is a very severe change). The only way to get back to the normal temp, is to reboot the system.

The service patch released in June makes this issue less prevalent, however it still happens. This is not great if you are the type of person like me, who needs a consistently calibrated screen.

The issue has been escalated to Apple engineers, they are looking at the case, and also the related forum post I submitted on the apple communities. Here . So please log your issue there if you want to get more visibility on the problem. I have an apple senior engineer who is in contact with me on the status of this, problem. I have provided them with multiple video's of the issue happening, along with timestamp logs of the exact moment of it happening.

azzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
I'm having the same issue, changing of temperature noticeable on white backgrounds. this happens when i'm on windows via bootcamp but it doesn't happen when i'm on macos.

andylead

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
I'm having the same issue, changing of temperature noticeable on white backgrounds. this happens when i'm on windows via bootcamp but it doesn't happen when i'm on macos.

Hello! I'm new to the forum.

Same issue here..
- Definitely not GPU card switching (always using integrated)
- Didn't notice it using Windows (even rendering on Solidworks)
- Very noticeable when browsing because of the white background
- Using Mojave now and still happening as same as on High Sierra
- Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. Most likely some kind for automatic screen color profile calibration or something (LCD Color, Adobe RGB, etc)
- Not happening on exact time like 3:00pm, just random, even not when switching apps, just scrolling browser or Finder folders.
- The switching is always from cold (or neutral) to warmer color balance, so I still can't figure if it switches back to neutral when shutting down or it just switches slowly and unnoticeable.

Any solution found? It's not a big issue, but calls my attention every time it happens (at least once or twice a day)

Reactions: content

PulpJEDI

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2004
Listen folks, I have this same issue and IT AIN'T NIGHT SHIFT. It happens sporadically, and it especially frustrating when I'm doing color adjustments on photos. The entire display will suddenly shift pink as if a color profile was changed, and it's not reproducible as far as I know. It just happened again and the only thing I noticed is that it coincided with the fans spinning up. Apple knows about it and probably won't ever have a fix. For all the things I enjoy about the 2016 MBP, the number of significant issues I've had with it are not worth the $4600 price tag for a maxed out machine. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DEPEND ON THE ACCURACY OF THIS DISPLAY.

Reactions: KSB

andylead

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
[doublepost=1529015709][/doublepost]I just started having the same colour shift issue on my MacBook Pro 2016 none touch, no issue for the first 15 months of daily use, other than keyboard. today I noticed exactly what most of you have described above, I started searching for a solution but everything I found was talking about a SW solution. I don't believe this is a SW problem, it is 100% a HW problem and to confirm this I did the following test: try and hold the display from the top corners left and right and gently torque the display by pulling your left hand and pushing your right hand. this replicates the issue and makes the display to become pink , and if you do the opposite i.e. push with the left and pull with the right, the display turns white. also the issue is more pronanouced in certain display angle i.e. 90 degrees. To me this looks like a HW issue. try and let us know. attached photos of each state.

Update: I have noticed if you move the mouse the issue stops and once you stop moving the mouse pointer for about 3 sec the issue is back.

I just saw your attached pictures. This is definitely not the same issue we are talking about. Your pictures are very different from each other. Almost like if you were changing the forum theme/style. Very noticeable on the light blue background on the left and on the Safari tool bar. If it happens every time you push/pull the screen I would agree it's a HW issue.

The issue I'm having is less noticeable, but you can still tell every time it happens. It's more like a color temperature profile change. It's so subtle that I couldn't tell if it happened or not just by suddenly watching the screen. I know it has changed only if I see the moment when it switches, but neither of the two color profiles looks weird or bad. Curious thing is it always changes from a "neutral" white balance to a more pinkish or warm tone, so I can't figure out the moment it gets back to neutral. I don't know if it goes back when restarting/sleeping, or if it's switching back so slowly/progressively that I can't notice it. I'm pretty sure mine is a SW issue because it happens randomly, no screen move/push/pull, etc. And it's not happening when running Windows. Just on OSX.

q2qwas

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2019
anyone have this resolved, yet?
This is annoying

Attachments

• IMG_0027.png
    IMG_0027.png
    5 MB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0028.png
    IMG_0028.png
    5 MB · Views: 524

sko0led

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2019
This is happening to me now on my 5K iMac after a fresh Time Machine restore. It's NOT Night Shift. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Alex Baker

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Exact same issue for me. Any luck?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017),
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB
Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Chuck-R

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Detroit MI
2016 MBPro, 15" retina, Touch Bar, Sierra 10.12.6. Dual GFX, yada yada.
I also observed this intermittent slight, subtle color temp shift early on in ownership of this unit. As a production video engineering tech I am used to quickly seeing the effects of color shifts, due either to the display monitor or to lighting changes on a photographic or video subject, and am familiar with monitor calibration procedures. I had taken the MBPro in to the Apple store for an audio issue, and mentioned to the Genius taking care of me that I was seeing, on unpredictable occasion, the same little color shifts being talked about here. His reply basically, "oh yeah, they all seem to do that" to some extent, and that since the display panels for these models were essentially all identical, a replacement would very probably not be any different. It's a rather minor issue for me, so I did not pursue it. One thing I did do, that's helped a bit, is to go into the monitor Color tab setup in Displays Pref pane, and very, very, slightly tweak up the Blue level. Once satisfied with the look of the screen, I saved this as a separate Display Profile. If I see the screen going a tad warm, I de-select and re-select the new profile, which seems to bring it back to how I like it.

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I experienced this yesterday for the first time on my 2018 15". Really strange issue. Running latest Mojave

Chuck-R

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Detroit MI
I had the same problem but i fixed it by uncheck true tone in display settings
True Tone is not an available feature with Sierra 10.12.6 on 2016 MBPro 15" retina, so not a workaround in my case. I do have "Night Shift" as a choice, but do not use it on the laptop. Have not noticed the color shift happening lately, it is quite an intermittent phenomenon.

Riso

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2019
I've been experiencing this issue with a refurbished 2018 MacBook Pro 15" running Mojave 10.14.6 which I just recently bought. I usually notice it go from a warmer pink tint to a cooler blue tint, but it has gone the other way too. I'm quite disappointed it has this issue. It's very distracting, especially if you're doing design work.

I'm not keen to send it off for a repair when it seems as though this hasn't solved the issue for others. Is it most likely to be a software issue? If so, how can I report the issue without being a developer? Seems as though it's effecting quite a few computers from different years. It would be nice to know Apple is aware of the issue and looking for a solution.

p.s. I shot a video of it occurring whilst I was writing this post, but I don't seem to be able to upload the video for some reason.

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
Same thing here, mid 2018 13 inch MacBook Pro. Sometimes it doesn’t happen for days, sometimes a couple of times a day. I’ve already had to repair the keyboard, not keen on sending it away again. Unchecking True Tone and resetting smc pram doesn’t help. Anyone was able to solve it?

ensee

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Same thing here, mid 2018 13 inch MacBook Pro. Sometimes it doesn’t happen for days, sometimes a couple of times a day. I’ve already had to repair the keyboard, not keen on sending it away again. Unchecking True Tone and resetting smc pram doesn’t help. Anyone was able to solve it?

I’m seeing the same thing on my mid 2018 13” MBP. I thought it was an issue with a browser (I was using Firefox first time i noticed it) but it’s happened when that wasn’t running too. Can’t see a way to replicate it.

I think I first really noticed it after the top case was replaced following keyboard issues but It might have happened before that.

blupblup

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I had the same issue and I turned off "True Tone" in the display settings on my 2018 13 inch macbook pro and that fixed it....

djdeforte

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2019
The screen looks fine, no uneven tint issue. It is a very slight and subtle shift in color temperature that occurs at random times. There is nothing specific that sets it off, as far as I can tell anyway. I have tried to replicate it, but I can't.

Thanks for your help

Are you docked to a monitor or are you using the built-in retina display on the laptop? Are the monitors you're using the Mac Retina Display with the camera at the top? In either case, those cameras are sensing the light in the room and adjusting the color tone. You can test this by putting different color papers in front of the cameras and watch them change color to be warmer or colder depending on the color of light passing through the paper. YOU CAN TURN THIS OFF.

Open your display preferences from system preferences. If you're using multiple screens go to the panel that is controlling the laptop screen and uncheck True Tone. This will stop the color shift.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I’m also experiencing this issue on my 2018 MacBook Pro. I already recorded a video and plan to take it to the Genius Bar at some point, but I have no rush as I have Apple Care+ and right now can’t be without the computer.

Turning off the True Tone feature is not the solution. I expect that feature to work. The solution is for Apple to fix it, be it hardware or software.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
I have finally decided to make an appointment to take my 2018 MacBook Pro to the Genius Bar to address two issues: display changing tones abruptly (True Tone issue) and keyboard replacement.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.