Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I just bought a Series 4 GPS/Cellular and intend to use it with my work provided AT&T iPhone 8. I have paired the phone with the watch. I then activated the watch on my personal AT&T unlimited family plan. When I try to configure cellular on the Watch app on the iPhone, I get an error message saying I need to have someone from my company call Apple Watch Support. My question is, for anyone that has tried similar, am I going to be able to get this to work? I don’t want to bother our company IT guy unless I know it will work.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Watch and phone have to be on same cellular provider.
They are on the same provider, AT&T. I found the following on the AT&T site, which implies it will work with cooperation from IT at work, but I’m not convinced which is why I was asking if anyone has done it.

You can sync your Apple Watch (GPS+ Cellular) to:
  • A different iPhone with a different mobile number on your AT&T account.
  • A different iPhone on a different billing account than your Apple Watch. You will need to have an AT&T User ID and password for that different billing account to sync your Apple Watch.
  • A new iPhone that you upgraded to and keep your existing mobile number.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It sounds like the second bullet fits the scenario you are describing. Reading that bullet, it sounds like you'd have to get the master/administrator User ID/Pass which I'm not sure any IT Dept would be willing to give up. Perhaps they'd help you authorize it though, not sure how things work at your company.

Maybe post something like this on AT&T Support Forum? Not sure if there could potentially be any additional charges or not

Another thought, I'm guessing you want to be able to sync your work appointments/meetings on your watch, which is why you are looking to pair it with that phone, yes? Is it possible to sync your work calendar to another calendar app to get the notifications that way?

I had a perfect setup which was my personal mobile phone, stipend and I was able to get work and personal mail on my phone. Then the company decided to implement an MDM and at that point I decided to take a work issued phone instead. I don't like having to carry two phones with me at times but to be honest, I appreciate the separation of work and personal life.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I called AT&T today and they confirmed that you can not do what I was trying to do. Too bad... I guess I'll just use my SS Series 4 only in Bluetooth mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.