Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Since upgrading to iOS 13.2.3 (possibly earlier versions) AdGuard Pro has been running for hours in he background (sometimes it will show over 7 hours background activity). Even if I do a hard reset, delete and reinstall it still runs in the background. Has anyone else noticed this happening? The regular version of AdGuard doesn’t do it only the Pro version...

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have the pro version on the latest iOS on my iPhone 11 Pro and I just checked the battery usage, it says 2%
Thanks for the information. I’m not sure why it’s happening on my iPad. Deleting the app and reinstalling should take care of any issues in my view but it continues to run in the background. I‘ve reached out to the developers hopefully they can give me some ideas to try..

Reactions: max2

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
iOS 13.2.0 has caused AdGuard Pro to run continuously in the background with no fix. I noticed after the update it was running for over 8 hours in the background with no way to stop it. Every iOS update after has been effected.. After contacting the developer, they just confirmed that the update had this result and that Apple will not allow them to update the app to fix it. So the only option is to run AdGuard free version and upgrade to premium.. That means your going to lose some functions the Pro version offers. Just thought the information might be useful to forum members who use the Pro version. The Pro version works properly on all versions of iOS 12 though(12.4.1), I’m running it on my iPhone X and it works fine..

Last edited:

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Doesn’t seem to drain the battery though or is it? My max drain percentage is about 2% of 8 hrs usage.
Giving a go to premium again, so far seems to block system wide ads too.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Doesn’t seem to drain the battery though or is it? My max drain percentage is about 2% of 8 hrs usage.
Giving a go to premium again, so far seems to block system wide ads too.
I just don’t want ANY app to run forever in the background.. I tried the free version and added the premium features and it started to run in the background again. If I turn off the VPN (DNS blocking) it stops running in the background completely so I think the DNS blocking feature is the culprit.. I sent some feedback to the developer and am waiting to see what they say. He told me they are allowed to update the free version because it doesn’t block system wide ads. The reason Apple won’t allow them to update the Pro version is because of the system wide ad blocking..

Chinask1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2019
Hello, Gentlemen!

Let me get this straight.
AdGuard always works in the background, as it did on earlier versions of iOS. It does its job - it filters DNS queries.
The only difference is that after the update, the background work started to appear in the system statistics.
It does not affect the battery consumption in any way.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Hello, Gentlemen!

Let me get this straight.
AdGuard always works in the background, as it did on earlier versions of iOS. It does its job - it filters DNS queries.
The only difference is that after the update, the background work started to appear in the system statistics.
It does not affect the battery consumption in any way.

is this still the case? I’m running the newest version of AdGuard free upgraded to premium. It says 6% battery usage with 8 hrs background. I want to make sure it’s not killing my battery as I’m on the premium trial and won’t purchase if it’s draining the battery.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.