Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I'm tearing my head out on this!
I have a few of issues regarding preparing adhoc builds for testers

I'm on iOS 8, Xcode 6 and Yosemite

a) Trying to install an adhoc build using iTunes (the old fashion way - using iTunes)

My first hiccup was on this - How do we add a provisioning profile on a device?
Usually we add the distribution profile on itunes and sync the device. But when i go to General --> Profiles - I dont see the profile

The second issue is that i cannot seem to install the .ipa file on iTunes.
It says it it is not a valid app.

So how do we install a app on a tester's device using iTunes (the old fashioned way)?
There are lots of resources online but those are for XCode 3.x, 4.x.

Can we even do this now with XCode 6.x and iOs 8.x?

b) Now TestFlight
Whenever i upload a build to TestFlight - it just tells me - that the build is not valid. What does this mean?

Does this mean that i need to go to XCode - Archives and Validate my Archive - fix all issues and then upload the .ipa in TestFlight?

When i validate my Archive - it tells me there is no bundle in iTunes connect!
That is correct i dont have the bundle in itunes connect! How silly of me!

This leads me to the third problem! - iTunes Connect

c) iTunes Connect hell

I have enrolled for a Developer account and paid $99 !!

I'm a member of 2 organisations for the Apple Account
a) Org 1 (As an individual)
b) Org 2 (Enrolled as a company)

Now when i login to the Member Center - It shows me an option to select the organisation and then i proceed to create the certificates etc.

But when it comes to iTunes Connect - Apple does not show me an option select the organization.
By default it takes me to - Org1
Thus i cannot enter and create an app in iTunes connect for my other organization (Org2)

So i'm stuck!!!!! I contacted Apple on Support!!

But i'm checking here if can someone shed any information this, if they have experienced this before?

What do you guys prefer - using iTunes to distribute your apps for adhoc testing or use TestFlight?
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
KamyFC

Last edited:

kamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Sadly Testflight was not accepting my .ipa file!

Then i saw that while generating the .ipa file - XCode 6 adds its own profile

Usually to distribute the app to our testers we use Xcode, which we do using the following process:

Archive application
Distribute for Ad-Hoc
Choose provisioning profile
Save the .ipa to a folder

But with Xcode 6, this workflow was changed a bit. I can still select the Ad-Hoc distribution option, but I cannot select the provisioning profile I want. This gives us no control over which signing certificate is used and the provisioning profile configuration (we use push notifications).

By default iPhone distribution signing identity is used and some kind of XC Ad Hoc provisioning profile is generated, which can be seen on image below:

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 2.09.10 pm.png

Any ideas on how to make XCode 6 use the intended and specified provisioning profile!!?

kamy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
Ok i soved this and manage to upload the .ipa file into TestFlight by genering the .ipa file using XcodeBuild command line utility

My build script starts by performing a clean.
Code:
xcodebuild clean -project $projectname.xcodeproj -configuration Release -alltargets

Then the script builds and archives the app. I specify the archive path using the -archivePath parameter in the command line so the script will know where the archive file is located.

Code:
xcodebuild archive -project $projectname.xcodeproj -scheme $schemename -archivePath $projectname.xcarchive

Finally my script exports the archive into a .ipa file.
Code:
xcodebuild -exportArchive -archivePath $projectname.xcarchive -exportPath $projectname -exportFormat ipa -exportProvisioningProfile “Provisioning Profile Name”

Specify the name of the provisioning profile as defined in the file itself. This is the same name assigned to the profile in the provisioning portal.

Whew. What a struggle. But TestFlight definitely makes our lives easier. But they need to add documentation for Xcode 6.x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.