Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
But these activation codes will be machine-specific, based on your hardware configuration so it's not like serial numbers...

If you don't make a living from it, then ask yourself 'Do I really need this software?'

So how will they work.. wil you buy it and then you will have to connect to the internet and Adobe will check your system and the you will enter a code :confused: :confused:

I don't really need the software it is just that it is very nice to have and be able to manipulate images and make web pages etc.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Platform said:
So how will they work.. wil you buy it and then you will have to connect to the internet and Adobe will check your system and the you will enter a code :confused: :confused:

If it's anything like Quark's activation, once online you select 'Activate Product' from a menu and it takes about 10-20 seconds to connect and fetch a code from Quark... you never see the code.

However, those Macs not connected to the web need to be telephone activated and this does involve the use of codes, but as I've never had to do this myself I can't shed any more light on it.

Here's the info from the horse's mouth.
http://www.adobe.com/activation/moreinfo.html

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
If it's anything like Quark's activation, once online you select 'Activate Product' from a menu and it takes about 10-20 seconds to connect and fetch a code from Quark... you never see the code.

However, those Macs not connected to the web need to be telephone activated and this does involve the use of codes, but as I've never had to do this myself I can't shed any more light on it.

Here's the info from the horse's mouth.
http://www.adobe.com/activation/moreinfo.html

Ok thanks for that. ;)

Well that sort of activation must be hard to break then :rolleyes: that good for Adobe.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Adobe's implementation of the activation code sounds a lot like what autodesk does... it generates a new activation code based on the hardware that its installed on (as far as i know).

multimedium

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2004
My take is this...

If you use it to make money, buy it. I've bought every version of Office, Photoshop, and Macromedia products they've put out in the last few years. It sucks, and it means nearly 15% of my profits go to software...but I still have less overhead than, say, a gas station. And it's a tax write-off.

If you just think it's cool, you want to learn more about it, etc., I see no problem with casual piracy. In fact, in many cases I've ended up buying software that I've "tried out" for more than the typical 15 or 30 days.

I do wish that they would lower prices when the implement activation techniques, it only seems fair. Perhaps if they had a way that tied it to your specific machine serial number, you could buy it cheaper, as an option?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
No worries... it's a nuisance but from recent experience with Xpress, it's relatively painless.

Mind you, that was installing it on new machines. We'll see how painless it becomes if those machines ever need upgrading or servicing, necessitating a whole new activation process.

That's when it REALLY sucks.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
iGary said:
That's when it REALLY sucks.

I'm hoping that if something goes badly wrong, we can restore our installations from the disk images I have made and backed up... if that fails, then all the software is legit and sorting it will be a pain but the plan is to minimise disruption, not to avoid it entirely.

However, if the G5s soon start leaking coolant all over the desks as rumored, then I guess we'll have more concerns than merely using QuarkXpress.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
I'm hoping that if something goes badly wrong, we can restore our installations from the disk images I have made and backed up... if that fails, then all the software is legit and sorting it will be a pain but the plan is to minimise disruption, not to avoid it entirely.

However, if the G5s soon start leaking coolant all over the desks as rumored, then I guess we'll have more concerns than merely using QuarkXpress.

they could do something how M$ activation works. Which is a 10 point hash system made off you you system specs and serial numbers (number from hard drives, optical eta) that can not be backworks calucalated to what you specs are. Basicly you are fine with M$ as long as you have 7 of the 10 points. If you drop below 7 you have to reactivated it and then you start fresh at 10 points. This is to prevent people crom cloning hard drives and putting them in other computers.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
this is really stupid
it will get cracked and probably soon after its released photoshop is one of the most popular pieces of computer software to date there just making it a nuisance
ive had photoshop 7 since it came out and it was a great purchase and easy to use just install and enter serial

congrats adobe you lost another legit costumer
(unless it is actually easy)

i clean my machines every 3 months for latency issues and back stuff stuff up on a firewire hd with 7 after a clean install i just reentered my serial and i was cooking with gas now i need to go to work to internet connection and do this other b.s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.