Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
On my 2019 i9 iMac with 64GB of RAM, sometimes this site becomes unresponsive due to ads and the site crashes/reloads. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't really want to resort to blocking ads, but when a site becomes unusable due to them it makes it difficult to enjoy the site.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Sorry about that.

We've been working on improving site speed and reducing/improving our Javascript. Obviously it can also be ad-dependent. I visit the site with ads, and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary in terms of load, but it could be a regional ad.

1. Front page or Forums? or both?
2. We do have a paid ad-free version that removes pretty much all the ads. https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

arn

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Sorry about that.

We've been working on improving site speed and reducing/improving our Javascript. Obviously it can also be ad-dependent. I visit the site with ads, and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary in terms of load, but it could be a regional ad.

1. Front page or Forums? or both?
2. We do have a paid ad-free version that removes pretty much all the ads. https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

arn

Sweet! I love it when sites offer ad-free accounts. I just upgraded my account :)

It was both the front page and the forums. I could not find out which ad it was as the site had already reloaded when I saw the error from Safari.

Wow. I understand websites need ads, but they seriously impact performance. Now that my account is upgraded the site is SOOOO much faster and more responsive.

Reactions: sman789 and arn

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
On my 2019 i9 iMac with 64GB of RAM, sometimes this site becomes unresponsive due to ads and the site crashes/reloads. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I don't really want to resort to blocking ads, but when a site becomes unusable due to them it makes it difficult to enjoy the site.

I hang (and need to restart Safari) periodically on the home page and forums. It is probably dependent on what ad is trying to display.

One interesting thing is that the MacRumors web pages display almost instantaneously while the ads take awhile to load on the page.

I haven't experienced it on other websites.

edit: With the mention of Javascript, I took a look at my computer.

I had Java installed and enabled so I disabled Java and found the website was loading better and that I could navigate without having to wait for the ads to load.

Could it be an issue with Javascript vs Java running on a computer ?

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The site generally needs Javascript to run properly and its also how ads run. We don't use Java, so I don't know how it would have an effect, but it's possible.

Ethosik

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Java and JavaScript are different. I wish they were not named the same!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.