Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
before thinking different, just think.

-----------------
Magic Mouse 3:
-----------------

front cable connection to allow wired use if having issues/interference
they could lift the mouse a tiny bit at the front to fit the connector,
or make a little notch/bump for a fingerprint sensor/middle click/mission control

whoever designed this.....go ki...yrslf...srsly wtf!
mm2.png

------------------------------------
Magic Keyboard with Touch-bar:

Touch-bar is amazing, but only on Laptops ??? why on earth?
i don't understand why this isn't available....

-----
Mac:
-----

mac.png

aspiring photographers, Developers, Students, music producers, Youtubers, Gamers (bootcamp)
Startups, and everything i forgot..... just MOST people that cannot afford a
mac pro/ iMac or where the mini just doesn't cut it because of lack of dedicated GPU,cooling,PCIe...

a consumer/prosumer grade mac, just, the Mac, THE BEST MAC EVER !
not cheap, but something that is in range for normal people
i7/i9/RX/GTX non ECC memory etc
upgradeable memory/Storage/GPU/CPU, just normal 4-5 PCIe slots in a standard tower size.
ssd card slot, plenty USB etc
enough cooling! silent operation under constant max load on a fully specced machine.
why do we even need to say this? there is enough room there, its easy.

use the same case system as the new Mac pro that opens all sides in one move,
for easy access/cleaning.
a less expensive grill design, just use normal holes and it would still look great.

i swear to god this thing would sell like cake and people would love it!

-------------------------
Multiple Apple Cinema Displays:

24" 27" 34" and ultrawide

Just give us the lovely Displays used in iMacs without the included overheating noisy computer inside the screen!
i get the point of a clean desk without wires in a modern
apartment/shop/service area, thats where i see the iMac.

but most ppl don't want this, we just want a "normal" Apple display with that wonderful design.
to use with our Mac mini, Mac pro, MacBooks, Mac ;) or to expand the screen real estate of our existing rigs, the pro display XDR is really nice, but thats 7k, i mean, its wonderful and everything, but who can afford this? a tiny amount of people.

the LG thing is black plastic? and ugly af, get that out of the store and bring some Apple Displays already...

for a company like Apple most of this should be doable in 6 months or 1 year max

thanks

Reactions: AngusYoung

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
before thinking different, just think.

-----------------
Magic Mouse 3:
-----------------

front cable connection to allow wired use if having issues/interference
they could lift the mouse a tiny bit at the front to fit the connector,
or make a little notch/bump for a fingerprint sensor/middle click/mission control

whoever designed this.....go ki...yrslf...srsly wtf!
View attachment 845690

Touch-bar is amazing, but only on Laptops ??? why on earth?
i don't understand why this isn't available....

-----
Mac:
-----

View attachment 845693

aspiring photographers, Developers, Students, music producers, Youtubers, Gamers (bootcamp)
mac pro/ iMac or where the mini just doesn't cut it because of lack of dedicated GPU,cooling,PCIe...

a consumer/prosumer grade mac, just, the Mac, THE BEST MAC EVER !
not cheap, but something that is in range for normal people
i7/i9/RX/GTX non ECC memory etc
upgradeable memory/Storage/GPU/CPU, just normal 4-5 PCIe slots in a standard tower size.
ssd card slot, plenty USB etc
enough cooling! silent operation under constant max load on a fully specced machine.
why do we even need to say this? there is enough room there, its easy.

use the same case system as the new Mac pro that opens all sides in one move,
for easy access/cleaning.
a less expensive grill design, just use normal holes and it would still look great.

i swear to god this thing would sell like cake and people would love it!

24" 27" 34" and ultrawide

Just give us the lovely Displays used in iMacs without the included overheating noisy computer inside the screen!
i get the point of a clean desk without wires in a modern
apartment/shop/service area, thats where i see the iMac.

but most ppl don't want this, we just want a "normal" Apple display with that wonderful design.
to use with our Mac mini, Mac pro, MacBooks, Mac ;) or to expand the screen real estate of our existing rigs, the pro display XDR is really nice, but thats 7k, i mean, its wonderful and everything, but who can afford this? a tiny amount of people.

the LG thing is black plastic? and ugly af, get that out of the store and bring some Apple Displays already...

for a company like Apple most of this should be doable in 6 months or 1 year max

thanks
You do realize this isn’t an official Apple feedback channel, don’t you?

P.S. The shift key exists for a reason.

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2017
--------------
Macbook pro
--------------

a macbook is thin, silent, long battery life, water resistant?....etc and affordable (somewhat).

a Macbook Pro is different
make it thicker! a fat battery, big speakers, mechanical keyboard, outstanding cooling, giant display 17"
(make 15" an option tho),
outstanding Performance and connectivity!

apple you did a great job with the new Mac pro, just make a Notebook with that mindset.
[doublepost=1561858140][/doublepost]
You do realize this isn’t an official Apple feedback channel, don’t you?

P.S. The shift key exists for a reason.

did not know where to put it, wanna hear opinions on this from this board.

you are right, sorry, I'm gonna learn when to use Shift in the english Language

Reactions: AngusYoung

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Magic Mouse 3:

Absolutely. It amazes me that people try to defend this. Fortunately, like many people, I don't like the feel of the Magic Mouse anyway and Logitech worked out long, long ago where the USB port on a wireless mouse should go.

This would never have happened if Jobs was still... oh, wait :)

Seriously, though, the hockey-puck might just have been a case of thinking too different, but the Magic Mouse 3 was probably down to saving money (for Apple, not us...) - its what you get if you just replace the battery compartment on the Magic Mouse 1 with a lithium pack and charging socket without going to the expense of re-designing the whole mouse to accommodate a rear-facing port.

Buying advice: (lets get this back on topic for the thread) if you can do a Vulcan salute without cheating, maybe you'll like the gestures on the Magic Mouse. Otherwise, if you're buying a new desktop Mac, get the Magic Trackpad which is an amazing device worthy of Apple, then (when you discover that trackpads are great but for some things you really need a mouse) get a $25 mouse from Buy More that fits your hand.

You'll end up building most of an iWatch or iPod Touch into the keyboard (esp. if you want a comparable level of security - and then you'll have to get the keyboard set up as a trusted device somehow) so get used to re-charging your keyboard every day. Plus, not everybody wants to use an Apple keyboard - and the only Apple keyboard I've ever wanted to use was the previous-generation wired keyboard, before they gave it the "magic" treatment (the current Magic Keyboard isn't quite the train wreck that the MBP butterfly KB is but its nowhere near as good as the original - I got one with my 2017 iMac and gave it a good extended try before going back to the original: the keys are too large, reducing accuracy, they've reduced the travel and made it "harder", made it too flat, and considerably lighter - which isn't an improvement on a desktop keyboard and just means that they've nickled-and-dimed on the materials).

Buying advice: other keyboards are available - for less - although its not so great if you're outside the US and want the non-standard Apple key layout.

If you want a medium-range headless desktop "xMac" with your choice of PCIe GPU then Apple stopped supporting you sometime around 2011 (even then, a $3k Mac Pro was a stretch for a 'prosumer' but not as ridiculous as the new $6k Mac Pro). If you're still here, then you must be committed to MacOS for some reason, so Apple can just take you for granted - you'll just grumble and buy an iMac or accept some sort of ridiculous kludge with a Mac Mini and an eGPU.

That's the problem: for some while now, the only thing that Apple have been trying to compete with in the Mac field is other Macs. Notice how all of the benchmarks on Apple's new Mac Pro page are only comparing it with... the iMac Pro and the 7 year old Trashcan!?

An "xMac" might compete with iMacs and Mac Minis. Plus, you can upgrade it, so you might not need a new one in 12 months' time.

Buying advice: if you're not locked into MacOS, Windows and Linux systems custom-designed to your workflow requirements are available (that goes for 'pro' Xeon systems where multiple 28 core processors or systems that can take 10 PCIe GPU cards are available if you don't need to ask the price - or there are affordable AMD Ryzen systems if you do need to ask).

What would you plug them in to with no xMac?

Buying advice: 3rd-party displays are available in more shapes and sizes than Apple could possibly offer - including ones that look nicer than the LG options - and will mostly work with Macs. The only real lack is 5k where you have about 2 options - but that might improve as DisplayPort 1.4 support (or maybe USB 4) takes off. Frankly, though, I have a 4k display next to my 5k iMac and although 5k is better, the differences isn't night and day.

Reactions: ctrlzone

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I've been shouting for a headless iMac for what seems like decades now. The best machine I've ever owned was my Powermac G5. That thing was exactly what I'd like as a Mac form factor. Nowadays, you just can't get anything anywhere similar. I've had to get a small PC to do 3D tasks that my Mini won't do. I really wish I could just have one machine that could do it all. I've even emailed Tim Cook/Steve Jobs about it on numerous occasions. It seems they don't want to cannibalize iMac sales with it. If it takes too many sales from it, maybe it's because that's what people want in the first place!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I think it's quite disingenuous to say the Mini doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to audio or video editing. FCPX and LPX are genuinely buttery smooth on any modern Mac and even older ones. They're extremely well optimised for the hardware.

Of course it's a different story if you're using the Adobe Suite, but you'd get way more bang-for-buck from a Windows machine for that purpose anyway, and that's nothing new.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Looks like they think they're doing just fine.

Looks like the iPhone is doing OK (although we'll soon be finding out whether people who bought $1k phones are still going to replace them every 18-24 months).

The Mac seems to be in end-of-life mode, with no attempt being made to attract new customers to the platform, just extract more money from the shrinking pool of users who are already committed to MacOS. (See the benchmarks on the Mac Pro page showing how much faster it is than comparable Windows/Linux workstations? No, neither do I - probably meaning it isn't - but what a comfort to know that it is faster than the 2012 trashcan that Apple admitted was a failure...)

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Looks like the iPhone is doing OK (although we'll soon be finding out whether people who bought $1k phones are still going to replace them every 18-24 months).

The Mac seems to be in end-of-life mode, with no attempt being made to attract new customers to the platform, just extract more money from the shrinking pool of users who are already committed to MacOS. (See the benchmarks on the Mac Pro page showing how much faster it is than comparable Windows/Linux workstations? No, neither do I - probably meaning it isn't - but what a comfort to know that it is faster than the 2012 trashcan that Apple admitted was a failure...)
Pool of users seem stagnant, not shrinking or expanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.