Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C_Montgomery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Louisiana, U.S.
Hi'ya Apple Guru's,

I updated to High Sierra from Yosemite a few months back. I updated in order to keep compatible with the latest Adobe CC suite. I hadn't noticed any compromises within the OS update until I tried to open a large video project that was created about 6 months prior - I hadn't opened it since then. When I open it, I get slammed with a borage of Low Level Exception - Lumetri Color errors. It won't let me do anything within the project and it was then that I noticed that Premiere was struggling all around to practically unusable.

Researching, I found that my GPU performance readings are non-existent. My graphics card is accounted for and seemingly on par performance wise, but the correlation between having no GPU readings / blank screen and Premiere's terrible performance tells me something's not right there. The Premiere project, prior to updating, performed like a champ with no sign of performance issues.

My SPECS are the following:

• Mac Pro (Mid 2010) - running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
  • 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
  • 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ram
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
  • Apple 30" Cinema Display (2560 x 1600)
  • * Adobe Premiere Pro CC - 2018 (Build 12.1.2)

It's an older system and inferior video card (at this point) and I understand that compatibility is an every growing factor. I would simply chalk it up to that if it wasn't for the system's ability to handle the project with ease prior to updating. That's what's frustrating and has my hands tied to proceed with the project.

There is a slim factor that the Adobe CC updates between project creation and now could also play a part, but because I can not get any GPU usage readings altogether in Mac OS, I tend to believe the problem starts there, rather than specifically with Adobe.

I have tried accessing the GPU window through "Activity Monitor" but it appears blank - no readings at all (even when tasked).

When I access the "Energy" tab in Activity Monitor, I have no tabs that pertain to GPU usage... even when I right click for all viewable column options.

"About this Mac" shows the ATI video card (active) under both "Overview" and "Displays".

I've tried some Premiere Pro specific settings adjustments to no avail. When I open the project in Premiere and look at Activity Monitor, PP is using about 8GB (memory) with about 15 of the 32GB's free. CPU is also a small percentage.

So, if a video card update is relevant or even inevitable, what are my options. I see a lot of positive reference to the Sapphire HD 7950 (Mac Edition) but I can't afford the purchase at this time, and also would like to understand why my current, though dated video card doesn't seem to be compatible post-updating.

Thanks for any insight!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Have you tried any other graphic intensive apps to see if you get the same issue?

C_Montgomery

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2018
Louisiana, U.S.
Have you tried any other graphic intensive apps to see if you get the same issue?

Nothing really aside from Photoshop / Illustrator.

I'm beginning to believe that the problem lies more strictly with a High Sierra update and the fact that the GPU is not even giving readings under activity monitor... like it's non existent (non compatible). Everything else so far performs "OK" (namely Photoshop and Illustrator). I've had two cold crashes in Bridge, but not major. I have seen a dip in performance in all Adobe apps but workable and non as crucial as the Premier hang-ups.

More so, I'm beginning to think it is simply an underpowered card issue. I can understand that is that's the case. The system requirements for the current version of Premiere Pro CC is for 1GB VRAM (which I am running) and "Suggested" 2GB VRAM. The problem is just not even getting GPU readings whether system is taxed or not.

d_r

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
have you found a solution? I have the same problem and the same GPU ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.