Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
SHOOT!

Today, when I went to go start up my Imac G3, and pushed the button, nothing happens. Nothing at all. I've checked the power cable and connection, and made sure it is secure in the back of the computer. Does this mean the computer is totally dead? It was working fine before, but it was asleep when I left it last, and when I came back, the power cord was unplugged. If it died, which I hope not, at least it died in its sleep! :(:( :( :( :

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
*iMac

Sorry...it annoys me...

Have you tried resetting the PMU or whatever they call it, should be a good article on Apple somewhere on how to do it.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
ITASOR said:
*iMac

Sorry...it annoys me...

Have you tried resetting the PMU or whatever they call it, should be a good article on Apple somewhere on how to do it.

I cant reset the pram if it doesnt even turn on...Nothing happens, no lights, no motion, no HDs no sound...

booo hooo.....tear tear...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
pianodude123 said:
Would that have symptoms similar to mine?
Yup. If the PRAM battery is dead, the machine won't power on. It doesn't need the PRAM battery to 'jump start' the machine as long as it is only put to sleep. Batteries typically last 3 - 6 years depending on the usage of the machine. Was the machine losing the clock and/or network settings occasionally on shut down and restart, prior to this point?

Of course it could be something entirely different like a blown analog board, but since the battery is a $12 part, it's worth the attempt. I 'think' it is a 1/2 AA 3.6V Lithium cell, but check lowendmac.com for details.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
CanadaRAM said:
Yup. If the PRAM battery is dead, the machine won't power on. It doesn't need the PRAM battery to 'jump start' the machine as long as it is only put to sleep.

so...how exactly do i change this battery?

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
pianodude,

You should not panic and conclude that your Imac G3 is dead.

There could be a variety of reasons why your Mac does not power up. In no particular order:

1. PMU needs to be reset.
2. Power cord and/or adapter not securely plugged into port and outlet.
3. Power cord and/or adapter is broken, and not the computer itself.
4. Other possibilities.

Go to Apple's Support section on their website. Search for help documents pertaining to the non-powering up of a macintosh.

Good luck.

richmlow

pianodude123 said:
SHOOT!

Today, when I went to go start up my Imac G3, and pushed the button, nothing happens. Nothing at all. I've checked the power cable and connection, and made sure it is secure in the back of the computer. Does this mean the computer is totally dead? It was working fine before, but it was asleep when I left it last, and when I came back, the power cord was unplugged. If it died, which I hope not, at least it died in its sleep! :(:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :mad:

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
From apple's website:
If your computer does not retain parameter RAM (PRAM) settings when it is turned off, this generally indicates that the battery needs to be changed. Some Macintosh models may display a black screen when you turn them on if the battery needs to be changed.

If you are uncomfortable changing the battery, an Apple Authorized Service Provider can install one for you.

How does this have to do with mine not starting? Wouldnt it start...but just not retain its PMU settings?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The Mac relies on the battery keeping some of the circuits powered, so the soft boot-up process (the front panel switch or keyboard) can take place. If the battery is shot, then there is insufficient juice to initialize the circuits -- and the first casulties are the realtime clock, and then the video circuits (hence the black screen).

But whatever. I'm not here to argue the point with you. Good luck. Bye.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Wow, in less than an hour you've managed to bump this thread about 7 times asking for answers that people have already given you.

The battery is your best bet. It's $12. There are a number of websites that I'm sure Google will lead you to that will help you if the link CanadaRAM gave you doesn't work. Try it, and if it doesn't work let us know.

Or just bring it in to an Apple service provider (or Apple Store) and ask them.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Okay...i have been trying RAM's suggestion, but before I try to open that mother, i want to do more searching to see if anyone else is having the same problem...:(

Now,
What is the best way for me to open up this beast, and replace this battery...???

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
Yes!!!!

By God, The Ram Has Done It Again! Thanks A Million For Saving My Computer...you Are A God, Canadaram! I shouldnt have doubted your all so powerfullness! (wow, I suck at english grammar!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.