Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you do AIO?

• Yes

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

djas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
As I understand it, certain parts of the world do not supports cellular voice, only data. Fortunately, we can here. Thus:

Screenshot_2019-03-21-18-24-14.jpg

It is liberating needing to carry just one device when I am out of office during business hours. Am wondering if anyone else here in this alternaitives forum with similar usage.

djas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
3.jpg

This 5-year old Note 10.1 (2014) AIO recently got replaced so I decided to use it exclusively as a 2nd display monitor via Miracast from my work Surface 3. It now has pride of place on my desktop.

The app used on the AIO is "Airscreen", available from the Play Store. Supports Cast, Miracast, Airplay, dlna and a few more in the paid version.

2.jpg

And this is the replacement:

1. Galaxy Tab A 8" w/SPen (2019) LTE paired with:
2. a Surface EMR Pen,
3. a MS Wedge BT Mouse &
4. a generic BT Keyboard with trackpad.

I am loving this little machine. OneUI is excellent with OneHandOperations+ installed & navigation bar disabled.

The only caveat is battery life. With BT, LTE, location & auto-sync on, I barely get thru a full business day the first couple of days. I topped-up during lunch to get me to EOD.

It is a daily charge tablet, no doubt. Other than that, it an excellent AIO as a daily work carry. The portability is something I have missed coming from a Note 10.1 (2014)

For the price I paid, it is well worth the investment, imho. Just wish that there is an 8" Tab S6 counterpart but I wager the price will be doubled or more if it comes to pass.

Other uses:

1.jpg

1. Sidesync with Surface 3 for Keyboard & Mouse screen-sharing.

4.jpg

2. Screen-mirroring via Smart View (Miracast)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Very nice! It's great to see someone else posting their setups for a change. :) Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

As far as tablet AIO devices as a daily driver go... generally speaking, no I don't. But my Lenovo Yoga Book (Android version) is my go-to tablet AIO when I travel.

My wife just bought me a new Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) for my birthday to replace all of my Amazon Fire tablets. I agree with you, OneUI is very nice and very responsive.

djas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Very nice! It's great to see someone else posting their setups for a change. :) Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

As far as tablet AIO devices as a daily driver go... generally speaking, no I don't. But my Lenovo Yoga Book (Android version) is my go-to tablet AIO when I travel.

My wife just bought me a new Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) for my birthday to replace all of my Amazon Fire tablets. I agree with you, OneUI is very nice and very responsive.

Thank you for the reply. :) I carry one device everyday. It is my digital Moleskine notebook, phone, IM etc machine. Very portable.

Your new Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019): How goes it?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thank you for the reply. :) I carry one device everyday. It is my digital Moleskine notebook, phone, IM etc machine. Very portable.
I hear you on that... I traded in my 2015 12.9 iPad Pro for a 2018 iPad and THAT is my everyday mobile device. Using GoodNotes and my planner/notebook file, it too is my digital Moleskine notebook.

Your new Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019): How goes it?
I'm loving it. It has been about 10 years since I last owned a Samsung tablet and TouchWiz back then was horrendous. OneUI is so much cleaner and responsive. I love the multitasking on it.

Performance of the Tab A 10.1 is extremely good*. I put the asterisk there because I'm coming from Amazon Fire tablets and although the Fire HD 10 is quite snappy, it isn't blazingly fast. The Tab A is faster than that so I'm delighted. If it had support for the S-Pen, it would make a better replacement for iPads w/Pencil... simply because of the more open nature of Android.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
AIO won't work for me until I can import footage from professional cameras directly onto it and also plug it into a professional audio interface. I don't see that happening soon so maybe sometime in the next 5 years.

djas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
AIO won't work for me until I can import footage from professional cameras directly onto it and also plug it into a professional audio interface. I don't see that happening soon so maybe sometime in the next 5 years.

I'm not a creator therefore your requirements are not mine. Agree, maybe your use case will arrives in the near future. Wouldn't it be cool if that come to pass?

Always thought one can import video or photos onto a tablet & with USB-C will support docks/hubs for interfaces? Maybe I thought wrong.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm not a creator therefore your requirements are not mine. Agree, maybe your use case will arrives in the near future. Wouldn't it be cool if that come to pass?

Always thought one can import video or photos onto a tablet & with USB-C will support docks/hubs for interfaces? Maybe I thought wrong.
Probably, but does the software support .mov wrapping MXF files directly from the camera? RED Raw? I just don't know of the robust software and breadth of compatibility existing on AIO at this point in time outside of PC.

djas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Probably, but does the software support .mov wrapping MXF files directly from the camera? RED Raw? I just don't know of the robust software and breadth of compatibility existing on AIO at this point in time outside of PC.

MXF? Red Raw? My apology....lol Have no idea what are those. PC it is then?

Mr

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I hope you don't mind. I took the liberty of downloading your planner template. Trying it out on LectureNotes.
Terrific! That is why I made it available. :D After you spent some time with it using LectureNotes, please post your experiences using LN in that thread.

djas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
I have been reading up on lots of iPad KVM setups on the main forums so reckon I shows my own setup for my EDC which is definitely not an iPad .... :) Feels free to AMA

Screenshot_20191120-163533.jpg

I don't use this setup regularly though as I rely mostly on the tablet and the SPen for almost all my mobile usage. However, for on the desk usage, this is almost as good as a laptop. The Wedge mouse stays on my desk if I need to use the keyboard while on-the-go as it has a trackpad built-in. Don't need the tablet stand either.

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.