Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamboman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hi all,

AirDrop on both of my systems is coming up as my mother's name (the computer name is fine, the person name is incorrect). I have no idea why, as there no ties to my mother in this account whatsoever. Has anybody else had experience with this issue, and know of a solution? I've tried changing address book entries, my Apple ID name, and removing information in her entries to no avail.

Many thanks!

marcr1230

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2010
wrong airdrop name

airdrop somehow uses your contact list (in my case on my phone) to assign the name/icon to the airdrop destination. in my case I tried to send from my phone, and an incorrect name came up instead of my laptop. I went to that contact entry on my phone and saw that my email address was incorrectly set up under "AIM" for someone in my contacts, not me. I deleted that email entry. now airdrop on my phone correctly displays my laptop name as a possible target/destination

Reactions: Evadis

Evadis

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Thanks marcr1230!!! Until I found your post I was baffled by an odd airdrop-destination-name that kept appearing on my iPhone. ;)

irnbru

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2019
wrong airdrop name

airdrop somehow uses your contact list (in my case on my phone) to assign the name/icon to the airdrop destination. in my case I tried to send from my phone, and an incorrect name came up instead of my laptop. I went to that contact entry on my phone and saw that my email address was incorrectly set up under "AIM" for someone in my contacts, not me. I deleted that email entry. now airdrop on my phone correctly displays my laptop name as a possible target/destination

THANKYOU! Your post is the only one that seems to clearly state the answer. I was googling a while until I found your very helpful post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.